The Student Room Group

Worried...

Well... I'm in my 1st year at Sheffield Uni, and basically I have actually only done 2 out of the 7 assessments that were due in this semester. The reason for this is because my sister died in October and then I didn't return home until November for the funeral because of the circumstances surrounding her death.

When I came back I was just so far behind I found it really difficult to get back into working, I went to see my personal tutor and he said to try and get the last two assessments in - I didn't. I haven't had any contact with the university since, but I have been told I have to complete a 'special cases form' to explain my situation, and for my department to decide whether they will let me pass, or whether I will have to re-take, etc.

The reason I am asking on here is just to put my mind at rest over the holidays. I haven't been sleeping properly since she died and, although I am probably happier in some ways now than I ever have been due all the great friends I have made, I am really losing confidence in my 'academic ability', basically because I am so far behind...

I just wanted to know if anyone has had any similar experiences or knows of others who have. I'm just worried that I may get thrown out - which I REALLY don't want. If the worst case scenario is that I will have to write the essays over summer or something I will be fine.

Cheers in advance
firstly, im sorry for your loss i cant begin to imagine how you feel. I have not experienced this kind of a thing myself but i know i helped a good friend of mine whos father died. He started taking up drugs etc which was really bad. Im sure the uni will accept your claim, you also have to bear in mind that these things happen people dont live forever, and dont dwell on the past you just have to let go im afraid. Im sure you'll eventually get back on track...remind yourself of a future goal you set out perhaps ..i hope ive helped a bit
Reply 2
Hi,
May I also say I'm really sorry for your loss too :frown: Life really is unfair sometimes.

With regards your worries about university, I must firstly stress the fact that in the case of bereavement most universities will be incredibly sympathetic and understanding. Remember, they are actually on your side and want you to do well and reach your potential. :smile:

However, you must communicate with your university as soon as possible and inform them about your current situations and the assignments you have missed. Without knowing all the infomation it is impossible for them to assess your situation and put in place measures to help you cope academically at this difficult time.

A friend of mine suffered a similar loss in summer and this prevented her from sitting an examination and the resit. She informed them of the trouble she was having and they have granted her permission to take a gap year this year and to take the exam this summer instead. Perharps, you could request a similar thing if you don't feel quite ready for university yet :confused: She said it led to "one less thing to worry about", but everybody is different and you really must must discuss your situation with your university as soon as possible.

Anyway I hope this helped in some small way and reduced some of the stress. best wishes :smile:
Reply 3
Sort of related but I had two relatives die on my this year (my grandad and my uncle). I have found it has taken out any creativity I had in terms of design, and I am a web developer so its a major problem.

I have found that I hardly listen to music anymore as well. It must be really hard loosing a sister, I know my mum has found it very hard coping with the loss of her brother.

I would consider asking if you can just take the year out and go back in September. It sounds like you need time to clear your head out.

There was this lad in my year, he was fairly old (about 30) and he really clever, he was one of the shining stars, his dad died of a heart attack and his mother was suffering cancer so he decided to take the year out.

Coping with death and trying to pass a university degree is no easy thing to do.
Reply 4
you tutor did only say try...

I'm sure that they'll do everything they can to support you and will try everything to avoid putting you in the position of having to retake the year. It might be that they'll ask you to retake the first term assessments next year on top of your 2nd year committments, it might be that they'll give you either a condoned pass for the first term, or they may wait to see what you finish the year on and give you an average of your last two terms marks for your first term.

There are so many options, and having been involved in student welfare at every uni I've attended I've seen all these things happen. I've never seen anyone with a similar story to you have to retake.

Try not to worry, but make an appointment to see your tutor as soon as you get back to Sheffers.

Huggles etc, and feel free to PM if you want to bounce some ideas around.
Reply 5
iceman_jondoe
firstly, im sorry for your loss i cant begin to imagine how you feel. I have not experienced this kind of a thing myself but i know i helped a good friend of mine whos father died. He started taking up drugs etc which was really bad. Im sure the uni will accept your claim, you also have to bear in mind that these things happen people dont live forever, and dont dwell on the past you just have to let go im afraid. Im sure you'll eventually get back on track...remind yourself of a future goal you set out perhaps ..i hope ive helped a bit

you sound really patonising..."people dont live forever?" thats really quite rude
Reply 6
louise28k
you sound really patonising..."people dont live forever?" thats really quite rude

I see what iceman's getting at but losing a sister must be a lot different to losing someone older who is a grandparent and has lived a long life. I know when my mum died I found it really patronising when people would say stuff like, "I know how you feel, my grandmother was only 76 when she died" and I would be like, wtf? That's ancient. You soon learn not to listen to other people's comments, since they really have no idea what they're talking about. Actually I cringe when I think of some of the things people said to me when I was having a rough time, looking back they made themselves look stupid.

Anyway, what I want to say to the o/p is that my brother filled out a special cases form when he was at uni and got behind with his work. It turned out fine for him in the end. You're not a robot who's completely devoid of emotion and it's important that you're given an extension to your deadlines. Good luck. xx

Latest

Trending

Trending