The Student Room Group

Being sent for chest x-ray - worried

At the beginning of June I had an operation and had two and a half weeks off exercising, then about two weeks after I started exercising again I started experiencing a tight chest and wheezing whilst breathing in when running. I left this a few more weeks before going to the doctors, I had a blood test and a spirometry test done. The blood test came back fine and so did the spirometry so the doctor doesn't suspect I have asthma.

However the issues have continued for another 4 weeks or so, so I went back to the doctor who listened to my chest and said it was clear, they have prescribed me an inhaler to use before I exercise as they seem to think exercise is the trigger. However, they are also sending me for a chest x-ray which has worried me. I am worried that the doctor thinks the cause is more sinister than asthma but doesn't want to tell me that just yet.

Am I worrying unnecessarily?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
At the beginning of June I had an operation and had two and a half weeks off exercising, then about two weeks after I started exercising again I started experiencing a tight chest and wheezing whilst breathing in when running. I left this a few more weeks before going to the doctors, I had a blood test and a spirometry test done. The blood test came back fine and so did the spirometry so the doctor doesn't suspect I have asthma.

However the issues have continued for another 4 weeks or so, so I went back to the doctor who listened to my chest and said it was clear, they have prescribed me an inhaler to use before I exercise as they seem to think exercise is the trigger. However, they are also sending me for a chest x-ray which has worried me. I am worried that the doctor thinks the cause is more sinister than asthma but doesn't want to tell me that just yet.

As someone who has asthma, I would suggest that is more sinister. You might just have a chest infection. No point worrying about the unknown. Wait and see.

Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

After a operation I would have taken longer than two & half weeks before I thought about restarting my exercising to make sure you were 100% absolutely fine for resuming your exercises. I think you started to soon afterwards and this has caused you other issues.

Your GP is being cautious about doing all the different testing okay.

X-ray for your chest is to check you don't have anything on your chest.

Just see what your GP says about your chest x-ray and take things from there.

Yes sometimes people gets worried unnecessary after being to GP but don't worry 😕.

Quick Reply

Latest