The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hhh123
Thanks so much guys, I'm also going to buy this book. So all in all youd say it's better than the book with the eye on the front? Not sure if any of you have come across that one!?

I have the one with the eye on the front, but i find it very wordy and not very concise, i prefer the book i sent you the link to and the complete companions book that EffKay recommended. However you might feel differently about it, thats just my opinion, everyone works differently :smile: x
Reply 101
Original post by DeelyBopper
I have the one with the eye on the front, but i find it very wordy and not very concise, i prefer the book i sent you the link to and the complete companions book that EffKay recommended. However you might feel differently about it, thats just my opinion, everyone works differently :smile: x

Okay dokey :smile: I have just ordered the book that you sent me the link for. Cannot wait to recieve it. The book I'm learning from at the moment is so wordy and has about ten studies explaining the same point........ so unnecessary and confusing!!! I also already have the complete companions book. Which is good! :smile: x
Reply 102
Original post by hhh123
Okay dokey :smile: I have just ordered the book that you sent me the link for. Cannot wait to recieve it. The book I'm learning from at the moment is so wordy and has about ten studies explaining the same point........ so unnecessary and confusing!!! I also already have the complete companions book. Which is good! :smile: x

My copy of this red cover book has arrived - it looks quite good as mentioned with plenty of evaluation points and more concise and to the point.

I have the one with the eye on it as well as the complete companion also.

Im basically using all 3 to be honest but this red one looks the best in terms of being concise and hitting the points and it is less "wordy" too as you put it.
Reply 103
Oh my God this is 6 pages in and I've barely even covered any real course stuff at school. Aah I'm gna flop :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 104
ii have 4 texts books.
well 5 but 1 is older version and im doing new spec.

have AQA PSYCHOLOGY A
COMPLETE COMPANION
COLLINS PSYCHOLOGY A2 AQA A (eye)
A2 PSYCHOLOGY nigel holt (key in head)

im struggling a tiny bit with relationships

reward/need theory
and reinforcement model

my teach explains they are different, but confusing how!

out of the books, i would recommend the one with they keywhole on it.
i use all 4, however the AQA psychology nelson thornes, i rarely use.. just seems so boring!
Reply 105
How're you guys doing? We've nearly finished Agression. Eating behaviours and gender to go, yay? Work load is far too much though.

EDIT: Also, I hope you guys are aware that each essay is now worth 24 marks, with the reduction of a mark being in AO1 (8 marks now).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 106
Original post by EffKayy
How're you guys doing? We've nearly finished Agression. Eating behaviours and gender to go, yay? Work load is far too much though.

EDIT: Also, I hope you guys are aware that each essay is now worth 24 marks, with the reduction of a mark being in AO1 (8 marks now).

Well I think im practically done with my model answers. They need a bit of refining but next stage is me memorising them all which is the fun part.

So far I have created essays for:

Breakdown Of Romantic Relationships
Describe and evaluate different perspectives of restoration theory
Describe and Evaluate Two Theories For The Maintenance of Relationships
Describe each of the three types of rhythm and evaluate research evidence and commentary relating to them 3
Describe the different stages of sleep and the distinction between different types of sleep
Genetic factors in aggressive behaviour
group displays of aggression
Lifespan Changes In Sleep
Outline and evaluate the relationship between sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour

This is based on what hasnt come up so far really as full questions...

If anything else comes up im pretty much stuffed...

How are you revising? You just memorising everything or hedging your bets on particular questions like me?
Well I think im practically done with my model answers. They need a bit of refining but next stage is me memorising them all which is the fun part.

Describe each of the three types of rhythm and evaluate research evidence and commentary relating to them 3
Describe the different stages of sleep and the distinction between different types of sleep
Outline and evaluate the relationship between sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour

How are you revising? You just memorising everything or hedging your bets on particular questions like me?

Hey, would you be kind enough to email me some of your model answers and I'll email you some of mine? I'm learning everything by myself and would like to know if I'm writing my essays correctly/similar to others.

Let me know & I'll pm you my email..

Oh and i'm doing relationships, aggression and eating behaviour
Reply 108
Original post by Mephestic

Please bare in mind that they can have split questions too, so out of the 24 possible marks, they may split it, e.g. with group displays and social psychological theories, etc.

Well as we've been going along, i've been making notes on A4 plain paper, with one side being AO1 and the other being AO2. I've been using 3 textbooks, so there's quite a lot of information there.

We got out first essay back today and I got 18/24. My teacher is an examiner and marks the PSYA3 paper so the feedback from her to improve my mark was as follows:

-Coherency: essays need to flow - points linking to each other as this is part of AO2.
-more references to IDA (issues debates and approaches). Rather than saying it is reductionist etc, try to link it in with another point to get your answer out of the 'basic' band. E.g.in class we looked at neurotransmitters and the idea of not being able to establish a cause and effect because the hormone may be a consequence rather than a cause of agression, therefore we can link this into the reductionist approach. IDA alone = basic band.
- More real-world applications embedded to boost AO2 marks, e.g. SLT for classrooms, for example, to reduce possible agression.
-Terminology needs to be specific - e.g. reciprocal determinism. Helps boost coherency and adds onto your AO1 mark.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:
Reply 109
Aggression question should be (at least partly) on group behaviours, though there have been small changes since I took it last year so im not too sure. Just make sure you all FULLY understand it cos its an extremely thin topic which is difficult to blag.

All the best to everyone taking this. to all those self teaching, I was doin the same last year and trust me, the best thing you can do is practise IDA on everything you learn. My advice is to evaluate EVERY theory you study for 16 marks, and practise this general technique as opposed to memorising high quality essays - with all the memorising of studies you need, adding to this burden by learning essays isnt advisable.

But everyone is different so do what you find easier and I hope I helped
Hey, I'm doing okay - nearly finished Aggression too - just group behaviours to do and then onto Eating behaviours..whey. About half-way through perception now :smile:

I've done a few essays, all have been 20 marks or above which is lovely-jubbly :smile: (apart from a 16 mark on perception..waa)

What I'm finding difficulty in is the timing - Approx. 30 mins is all we will have on each section and in all the timed essays I'm doing I am no where near finished what I want to say! :frown: I think the key is to focus on 4 or 5 major AO2/3 points and expand them loads rather than to do 7/8 of them... but its so hard to choose! :P
Reply 111
Hey, I'm doing okay - nearly finished Aggression too - just group behaviours to do and then onto Eating behaviours..whey. About half-way through perception now :smile:

I've done a few essays, all have been 20 marks or above which is lovely-jubbly :smile: (apart from a 16 mark on perception..waa)

What I'm finding difficulty in is the timing - Approx. 30 mins is all we will have on each section and in all the timed essays I'm doing I am no where near finished what I want to say! :frown: I think the key is to focus on 4 or 5 major AO2/3 points and expand them loads rather than to do 7/8 of them... but its so hard to choose! :P

Do you have two teachers?
We have two in our department, but only one teaches my class. So we're only just finishing agression, and we've got so little time tbh...

20 marks or above? Wow that's really good. In timed conditions without your notes? We did one in class (30mins) and got 18/24, and my teacher marks the PSYA3 paper so it's quite accurate too. Aiming for 90+ums though :frown:
anyone doing

forensic psychology , cognition and law and cognitive development ? :biggrin:

need some notes for my school testtt / mock :frown:

woops wrong thread I am doing psy B :O
Original post by EffKayy
Do you have two teachers?
We have two in our department, but only one teaches my class. So we're only just finishing agression, and we've got so little time tbh...

20 marks or above? Wow that's really good. In timed conditions without your notes? We did one in class (30mins) and got 18/24, and my teacher marks the PSYA3 paper so it's quite accurate too. Aiming for 90+ums though :frown:

Yeah they teach different things :smile: its quite nifty really :smile:

We have done a few in class timed and without notes and I've got 20 ish on all of them, and the ones I've done at home where I've attempted the same kind of conditions I've got about 22-23 on.

I'm really aiming for 90+ too! :smile: One of my teachers marks for PSYA3 too! He's definitely harsher than the other one which is nice in a way but doesn't do much for confidence haha :smile:
Reply 114
Yeah they teach different things :smile: its quite nifty really :smile:

We have done a few in class timed and without notes and I've got 20 ish on all of them, and the ones I've done at home where I've attempted the same kind of conditions I've got about 22-23 on.

I'm really aiming for 90+ too! :smile: One of my teachers marks for PSYA3 too! He's definitely harsher than the other one which is nice in a way but doesn't do much for confidence haha :smile:

That's absolutely brilliant! Wish my memory was good as yours! I forget a lot of things under pressure, and having half an hour to write about the stuff you know is hard because you don't know what to include and what not to include!

How did you do in terms of UMS at AS? I got 173 :'(
Reply 115
Original post by EffKayy
That's absolutely brilliant! Wish my memory was good as yours! I forget a lot of things under pressure, and having half an hour to write about the stuff you know is hard because you don't know what to include and what not to include!

Thats exactly my UMS too - two A's - surely thats good!
Original post by EffKayy

I got a B at AS.. Off the top of my head I think it was 147. I'm retaking PSYA1 because I got a C in that to get an AS 'A' overall :smile: I'm doing about triple the work this year which is why I've improved a lot!! I also like the exam style better this year, I'm an essay person so the structure and stuff comes quite easily to me :smile:
Reply 117
Anyone able to check my Circadian rhythms essay for me? I know its over the top but would like feedback on whether the evaluation points I have raised are valid? I have tried to throw in some issues, debates and approaches in there;
Reply 118
Original post by Mephestic
Anyone able to check my Circadian rhythms essay for me? I know its over the top but would like feedback on whether the evaluation points I have raised are valid? I have tried to throw in some issues, debates and approaches in there;

I don't do 'sleep' but I've looked at your essay.
Firstly, I don't think they're ever going to ask you to evaluate research evidence for a 24marker, therefore it's a silly question!
Again, AO1 is spot on - more or less 8/8
Far too much research evidence - are you going to be able to remember all of that research ?
I liked the fact that you've explored IDA, which makes your evaluation good.
When talking about free will and determinism, don't state what they are because the examiners know!
Evaluation like this, however, will get you into the basic band:
"Isolation studies have few participants, making generalisation problematic and studies tend to suffer from poor external validity due to this. Small samples cannot generalise to the wider population where many other individual differences and other unknown variables may affect results"
Sample size = fine at AS, but you have to up your game, as it's a 24mark essay

Also when exploring 'animals' in ethics you can link this point to the fact that you cant extrapolate animal research to humans, and perhaps talk about how they differ in brain and protein structure etc. Then perhaps a discussion about cost-benefit analysis? Because this alone, what you stated about animals, isn't enough to get you into the effective band.

No real world applications and implications mentioned? The essay doesn't flow very well. Why don't you paragraph it? I can see random stand-alone sentences floating about.

Sorry for all this harsh criticism but I understand how it's hard for you and you have no teacher so i'm giving you the best advise possible :biggrin:
Reply 119
Original post by EffKayy
I don't do 'sleep' but I've looked at your essay.
Firstly, I don't think they're ever going to ask you to evaluate research evidence for a 24marker, therefore it's a silly question!
Again, AO1 is spot on - more or less 8/8
Far too much research evidence - are you going to be able to remember all of that research ?
I liked the fact that you've explored IDA, which makes your evaluation good.
When talking about free will and determinism, don't state what they are because the examiners know!
Evaluation like this, however, will get you into the basic band:
"Isolation studies have few participants, making generalisation problematic and studies tend to suffer from poor external validity due to this. Small samples cannot generalise to the wider population where many other individual differences and other unknown variables may affect results"
Sample size = fine at AS, but you have to up your game, as it's a 24mark essay

Also when exploring 'animals' in ethics you can link this point to the fact that you cant extrapolate animal research to humans, and perhaps talk about how they differ in brain and protein structure etc. Then perhaps a discussion about cost-benefit analysis? Because this alone, what you stated about animals, isn't enough to get you into the effective band.

No real world applications and implications mentioned? The essay doesn't flow very well. Why don't you paragraph it? I can see random stand-alone sentences floating about.

Sorry for all this harsh criticism but I understand how it's hard for you and you have no teacher so i'm giving you the best advise possible :biggrin:

thats brill mate! really appreciate that feedback - and I dont take it has harsh at all; how else am i going to see where im going wrong unless someone points it to me! so its appreciated. Im going to work on it now.

P.s

What did you mean by real world applications and implications?
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending