The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher French 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

Yaaaaaaas, got 82% in my prelim overall! :biggrin: 26/30 in the reading, 16/20 in the translation, 24/30 in the listening and 32/40 in the writing!
Original post by christielovesyou
Yaaaaaaas, got 82% in my prelim overall! :biggrin: 26/30 in the reading, 16/20 in the translation, 24/30 in the listening and 32/40 in the writing!

well done! :smile: I'd like to go hide under a rock until the exam...
Reply 62
I'm doing AH French too, as well as Spanish! Studying La Haine and L'etranger for my folio. Have to admit I love La Haine, I did it for my higher NAB last year and I think it's a great film. Got 81% for my prelim which really boosted my confidence this year :smile: Very nervous about speaking though!
Original post by RK111
Studying La Haine and L'etranger for my folio

Oooh, snap! :smile: Have yet to start the La Haine essay though. Unlike you, I didn't really enjoy it so I'm a bit stumped on what to write about. I'm thinking maybe a character study of Hubert though, because he's the only one I actually liked :rolleyes:

My speaking is on the 13th of March. Let's just saying I'm feeling a bit "dfksafjsdhbfjsdbghja" :redface: It doesn't help matters the fact that the other day, our teacher turns round and goes (with regards to our examiner): "I'm going to warn you. He's not nice. He's really rude. So arrogant. I tried to speak to him at the speaking examiner's conference and he told me that he wasn't interested in speaking to anyone other than the head of department." We don't even have a head of department, as far as I'm aware!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
Oooh, snap! :smile: Have yet to start the La Haine essay though. Unlike you, I didn't really enjoy it so I'm a bit stumped on what to write about. I'm thinking maybe a character study of Hubert though, because he's the only one I actually liked :rolleyes:

I don't think many of my class liked it either! I did a question quite like that, was about the character progression of Vinz in the film.
So, umm, I thought I'd hijack this conversation but my class have just been given our French speaking exam date and it's on the 12th of March, scaryy stuff :/ Just out of curiosity though, how many periods a week of French do you guys have? :smile:
Reply 66
Anybody got any writing exam tips? Is it just the same as the personal response from Higher really? We've only got two periods a week, so we've done no work on anything...
Original post by Jack3116
Anybody got any writing exam tips? Is it just the same as the personal response from Higher really? We've only got two periods a week, so we've done no work on anything...

Pretty much, but slightly longer and they like you to use statistics and examples of how the issue you're writing about affects France :smile:

I get 6 periods a week, but quite a lot of it's spent drifiting around without a room or a teacher (hopefully that'll change now, one of our teachers is really getting concerned because we're being left alone so she's giving up other classes to work with us). Good luck with your speaking Katie, mine's the day after! :s-smilie:
Pretty much, but slightly longer and they like you to use statistics and examples of how the issue you're writing about affects France :smile:

I get 6 periods a week, but quite a lot of it's spent drifiting around without a room or a teacher (hopefully that'll change now, one of our teachers is really getting concerned because we're being left alone so she's giving up other classes to work with us). Good luck with your speaking Katie, mine's the day after! :s-smilie:

Statistics?? Gaaah, this is news to me:frown:

Aww that's pretty good, we're on three periods, granted it's better than two, but our skills when it comes to grammar are pretty much non-existent! I really don't like tenses either but there's some time left still to work on those. Thank you! Oh my, good luck with your speaking as well, or Bonne Chance rather :smile:
Original post by _KatieWhite
Statistics?? Gaaah, this is news to me:frown:

I don't think it's totally necessary, I just like to add them in to show my awareness. For example, in a recent alcohol essay I wrote about the new law in Lyon that forbids the sale of alchol after 10pm and why I think it's a good idea. It doesn't have to be major things. :smile:

What's everyone doing for their speaking? I put down family (kept it vague so I can talk about the role of women/changing family structure/marriage/le PACS etc.) and media/technology (for that I'm planning on talking about the dangers of the internet, SOPA etc.). For the Extended Reading/Viewing I put down 'L'étranger' AND 'La Haine', but my teacher said to me the other day that other schools advised just putting down the one you want to talk about so you know what to expect :s-smilie: He better ask me about 'L'étranger'!
Mines the 15th O_o Feeling pretty confident but all the same.. And I only get two periods of French a week!!

What's everyone doing for their speaking? I put down family (kept it vague so I can talk about the role of women/changing family structure/marriage/le PACS etc.) and media/technology (for that I'm planning on talking about the dangers of the internet, SOPA etc.). For the Extended Reading/Viewing I put down 'L'étranger' AND 'La Haine', but my teacher said to me the other day that other schools advised just putting down the one you want to talk about so you know what to expect :s-smilie: He better ask me about 'L'étranger'!

Put down
- L'Europe (Euroscola)
- La Famille (I only want to talk about the women's double life thing!)
- L'environnement

- La grammaire est une chanson douce
- Minority langauges
Reply 71
Snap with regards to the 12th of March for speaking, however, this might be because Katie and I are in the same class :tongue:

We didn't get any say in what was put down for our speaking, our teacher has done it for us.
Original post by _Stephieee
Snap with regards to the 12th of March for speaking, however, this might be because Katie and I are in the same class :tongue:

We didn't get any say in what was put down for our speaking, our teacher has done it for us.

Ooh, I never knew that! I tried to convince the only other person doing AH with me to join TSR, but she got too confused by it. Noob. :rolleyes:

:eek: That's a bit...scary!
How's everyone else's speaking prep going? I'm getting on pretty well with family, haven't even started media/technology yet :redface: So I'm beginning to freak out! However, I bought 'Mot à Mot' on Wednesday, it's a lifesaver for complex expressions! Anyone else got it?
Hola guys :smile:

I got my prelim results for my Advanced Higher Spanish, and I got a B! I was pretty chuffed with that :biggrin: My results were all over the place though... 15/30 for the reading, 5/20 for the translation, 20/30 for the listening and 40/40 for the writing - 67%. Needless to say, I suck at reading. :colondollar: I'm hoping that my speaking and/or my folio bumps at my marks :biggrin: My reading is honestly a total disaster sometimes, and my listening is a hit or miss. :cry: So if I can do well on the other components, I should be able to get an A hopefully. :fluffy:

How's everyone else's speaking prep going? I'm getting on pretty well with family, haven't even started media/technology yet :redface: So I'm beginning to freak out! However, I bought 'Mot à Mot' on Wednesday, it's a lifesaver for complex expressions! Anyone else got it?

My speaking preparation has been decent, although I'd really like to get more done. I'm wanting to start getting some Spanish adverbs in, and statistics etc to help me. :smile: I've chosen to do: immigration, racism, technology and gender equality. I chose racism as I was really interested in it even though it's a sub-topic of immigration, so I guess I'll have to expand a lot on that. :smile:

I have the Spanish version of 'Mot à Mot' called 'Palabra por Palabra' and it is honestly awesome! :biggrin: It really got me the full marks on my Discursive essay. :wink: I'm hoping that it does the same for my Speaking exam, too!

Bonne chance tout le monde! :france:

Yes I've got it! Christie I miss speaking to you! How are you getting on with everything? Your IP, uni offers, etc? So nervous about the speaking, but I'm starting - well, since saturday - to stop putting so much pressure on myself about life generally. Still want that A badly though! I've not prepped as much as I'd like to yet but hopefully this week there'll be lots of time to do so!

Original post by Quick-use

Merci! :biggrin:

*On another note, how is everyone's folios looking? Do you have predicted grades? I need to bump one of mine from a 12 to a 15 still. Waiting to hear back about the other one which I'm pretty sure I would give myself a 5 for. :P Ah well, as much as French matters to me, I can't help but be more excited about using "real" French in Paris this summer, as supposed to concentrating on the subject! :L Bad Katie.
Original post by Quick-use

Et toi! :biggrin:

Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
Yes I've got it! Christie I miss speaking to you! How are you getting on with everything? Your IP, uni offers, etc? So nervous about the speaking, but I'm starting - well, since saturday - to stop putting so much pressure on myself about life generally. Still want that A badly though! I've not prepped as much as I'd like to yet but hopefully this week there'll be lots of time to do so!

Aww thank you, I miss speaking to you too! :colondollar: Everything's going reasonably well, got my IP presentation on the 16th, so I'm in the process of organising that (although it's only hit me literally this second that that's next Friday and I'm nowhere near ready...oops), got an Unconditional for Music at Edinburgh which I plan on accepting (:woo:), it's really just this speaking and my English dissertation (which I haven't even started) worrying me. :s-smilie: Do you know where you're going for uni yet?

My folio's coming along quite well - I've submitted my final draft of the Camus essay (I don't know what grade it's at though) and I'm about to start my La Haine essay. I think I'm doing that on the unlikely friendship of "blanc, black et beur", which (Hallelujah) is a topic I actually think I can write at length about. :biggrin:
Reply 77
It's scary not knowing what you'll be speaking about, I can't lie.

It's interesting anyway, I'm not entirely sure how we're meant to revise. I mean, what are you guys doing? I have 'Mot à Mot' too and I'm planning to start properly trawling through it for phrases later this week, but apart from that I'm pretty confused. Needless to say, next Monday night I will be breathing a huge sigh of relief.

I put down les SDF et les progres technologiques (but I only wanna talk about the internet :P)

My ERV is Au Revoir Les Enfants and our history topic is Le traitement des Juifs par le gouvernement de Vichy. I don't really know much about that speaking wise though. :s-smilie:

Original post by J'adoreMaCachette

*On another note, how is everyone's folios looking? Do you have predicted grades? I need to bump one of mine from a 12 to a 15 still. Waiting to hear back about the other one which I'm pretty sure I would give myself a 5 for. :P Ah well, as much as French matters to me, I can't help but be more excited about using "real" French in Paris this summer, as supposed to concentrating on the subject! :L Bad Katie.

Have done my history essay for both French and Spanish, still need to sort out the literature essays. I know how you feel about wanting to speak the language in the country; I've been accepted for Politics/Spanish at uni and I'm already looking forward to the year abroad :tongue: I'm really jealous that you're going to Paris
Original post by missbanana21
I put down les SDF et les progres technologiques (but I only wanna talk about the internet :P)

Qu'est-ce que ce sont les SDF? :s-smilie:

(Can you tell I'm now worried that there's yet another topic we haven't covered yet? :colondollar:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending