The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Scroll to see replies

That's strange, I did that in my Spanish lesson today! And I'm doing my coursework on whether the high level of domestic violence against women in Spain is attributable to the long-term inequality of women so I've been mentioning stuff like the word of work & there's a new Spanish law which means that men have to do housework! I could answer your question in one word which would be yes! I currently have a book called 'La mujer en Espana actual' which is really good. I would check out the Instituto de la Mujer (if you haven't already) - it's got lots of good stuff!
Reply 781
leannemann
That's strange, I did that in my Spanish lesson today! And I'm doing my coursework on whether the high level of domestic violence against women in Spain is attributable to the long-term inequality of women so I've been mentioning stuff like the word of work & there's a new Spanish law which means that men have to do housework! I could answer your question in one word which would be yes! I currently have a book called 'La mujer en Espana actual' which is really good. I would check out the Instituto de la Mujer (if you haven't already) - it's got lots of good stuff!

Yeah that website is muy helpful for figures! Really there's a new Spanish law? I don't suppose there's a website proving this??:confused:
I'm fine for books, although could you give me the ISBN, it'd be helpful if the Spanish department bought it!
Reply 782
Thanks
paddy357
Yeah that website is muy helpful for figures! Really there's a new Spanish law? I don't suppose there's a website proving this??:confused:
I'm fine for books, although could you give me the ISBN, it'd be helpful if the Spanish department bought it!

ISBN is 84-7426-705-6. I have got it on loan from the British Library at the moment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4100140.stm about the law that came in last summer. It was the topic of the Edexcel AS exam!

Other resources that might be of use:
Amnistía Internacional: Seccion Española http://www.es.amnesty.org/

Instituto de la Mujer 2003. IV Plan de Igualdad de Oportunidades Entre Mujeres y Hombres. Madrid: Instituto de la Mujer

http://www.fundacionmujeres.es/
Any other chinese speakers ? :smile:
Reply 785
leannemann
ISBN is 84-7426-705-6. I have got it on loan from the British Library at the moment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4100140.stm about the law that came in last summer. It was the topic of the Edexcel AS exam!

Other resources that might be of use:
Amnistía Internacional: Seccion Española http://www.es.amnesty.org/

Instituto de la Mujer 2003. IV Plan de Igualdad de Oportunidades Entre Mujeres y Hombres. Madrid: Instituto de la Mujer

http://www.fundacionmujeres.es/

:rofl:
Oh dear that BBC article was so bad! I mean the main quote is 'I love macho men!'
Oh yeah I remember doing that in last summer's exam! This year's writing paper is so crap, we're doing the comercial letter and we have to learn all this really complicated vocab! Most of which I didn't know in English!
Also I think my teachers are mistaking me not doing the work out of boredom for me not doing work out of being stupid:confused:
I do love my teachers:rolleyes:
Is this bit correct? :smile: I'm mainly asking Dativ/Akkusativ-wise.

Fridolin geht zum Pathologisch-anatomischen Institut um sich den Leichnam der Baronin Dubieski anzuschauen, weil er glaubt, sie sei die reizende Frau von dem erotischen Maskenball die sich für ihn geopfert habe.
Nearly perfect. Only some minor errors:
hugatree
Fridolin geht zum Pathologisch-anatomischen Institut, um sich den Leichnam der Baronin Dubieski anzuschauen, weil er glaubt, sie sei die reizende Frau vom erotischen Maskenball, die sich für ihn geopfert hat.

I'd also pathologisch rather spell this way since it isn't really a proper name.
Jammertal
Nearly perfect. Only some minor errors:
I'd also pathologisch rather spell this way since it isn't really a proper name.
Thanks. :smile: Why is it hat instead of habe? Thought I need to use the.. err, subjunctive? cos it's "weil er glaubt (dass)..".
You do- but in the first half only.
It's the subjunctive for the first part of the sentence. Er glaubt, dass...
But the second half isn't gramatically wise part of the subjunctive construction: It's a fact that this woman he believes to have found sacrificed herself for him. Thus indicative.
Other hard bits:

Fridolin schaut sich ihren nackten Körper nicht aus medizinischen Gründen an, sondern weil er die Dame schön findet.
Der Erzähler beschreibt wie Fridolin sie betrachtet und anfasst, aber gleichzeitig können wir Fridolin’s Gedanken lesen und merken, dass er sich wie in einem Traum benimmt.

:smile:
Jammertal
You do- but in the first half only.
It's the subjunctive for the first part of the sentence. Er glaubt, dass...
But the second half isn't gramatically wise part of the subjunctive construction: It's a fact that this woman he believes to have found sacrificed herself for him. Thus indicative.
Ohh of course, yes that makes sense. :wink: Thank you very much.

EDIT: tried to rep you but it hasn't been 24 hours yet. Will do so later. :smile:
hugatree
Fridolin schaut sich ihren nackten Körper nicht aus medizinischen Gründen an, sondern weil er die Dame schön findet.
Der Erzähler beschreibt(,) wie Fridolin sie betrachtet und anfasst, aber gleichzeitig können wir Fridolins Gedanken lesen und merken, dass er sich wie in einem Traum benimmt.

I'm not completely sure about this comma, but I'd insert one.
Jammertal
I'm not completely sure about this comma, but I'd insert one.
Hm not too sure there myself but thanks. :wink:

So if my name's Nina it would be Ninas Buch? Or is it just Fridolins cause it ends in a consonant?
Thanks for the rep and no, normally the genitive doesn't require an apostroph in German indepent from whether it ends on a consonant or not.

EDIT: Wikipedia helps: "Die Abtrennung des s durch Apostroph beim Genitiv ist im Deutschen nicht erforderlich. Dennoch geschieht dies immer häufiger („Peter’s Pilsbar“ statt „Peters Pilsbar&#8220:wink: und ist nach neuer Rechtschreibung in Ausnahmefällen zulässig. Zur Begründung wird angeführt, damit könne die Grundform eines Namens verdeutlicht werden. Dennoch wird diese Schreibweise von vielen weiterhin als überflüssig und falsch empfunden."
Cool, who knew! :smile: Thank you! I did both in my essay. Not very consequent I know.
Reply 796
Just a quick question for German-speakers:

How do you say "trophy-wife" or something similar in German?
Especially if it's a young, overstyled (and maybe stupid) woman, it's Vorzeigepüppchen. If she's older and you want to accentuate her low intellectual capability you could use Vorzeigefrauchen. Or you could paraphrase it with something like seine Frau ist für ihn ein Statussymbol/ Vorzeigeobjekt.
Hi, could anyone tell me how to say: 'What about those who are not in agreement with these policies?' in French? thank you :smile:
perdition
Hi, could anyone tell me how to say: 'What about those who are not in agreement with these policies?' in French? thank you :smile:

Et quant à eux qui ne sont pas d'accord avec ces politiques?

The quant a might be a little bad for the context of the rest of the passage but I hope that helps :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending