The Student Room Group

Which is the CHEAPEST Country to study in outside of the UK?

I have always wanted to study abroad but the cost has always put me off!
I used to want to study at UNSW or the University of Sydney but the Aussie fees put me off, especially as the UK already has some awesome Universities itself.

Also, does anyone know the cost (in £) per year of study in each of the following Countries:

- USA
- Australia
- Canada

THANKS! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

A lot of the european universities don't charge tuition fees to EU students.

Sweden, Denmark and Norway have universities that don't charge fees (and they're the top universities as well).

The living costs there are expensive but overall you'll still come out with a lower annual cost than UK's tuition fee + living cost.

The only thing is you won't be eligible for student finance and because the UK has such a vast education sector there isn't really a government-backed sponsorship/scholarship/bursary system for British students studying abroad.
Reply 2
Original post by Xenomorph v2.1

Sweden, Denmark and Norway have universities that don't charge fees (and they're the top universities as well).

The living costs there are expensive but overall you'll still come out with a lower annual cost than UK's tuition fee + living cost.

The only thing is you won't be eligible for student finance and because the UK has such a vast education sector there isn't really a government-backed sponsorship/scholarship/bursary system for British students studying abroad.

Is there a website with this information on it?
Also, do any of these Universities teach in English? Thanks! :smile:
The American fees are ridiculous. In America it's an entirely free market with no caps at all, so if you want cheap fees America is literally the last place you'd consider.
Original post by HurricaneDominic
Is there a website with this information on it?
Also, do any of these Universities teach in English? Thanks! :smile:

Not that I know of, you can get it on each of the universities' websites though.

They do teach quite a few in English although not all courses are.

Here's an example of Lund university http://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/international-students/apply-fees-scholarships-housing/tuition-fees-and-payment
Sweden is completely free! Lovely country and a very cool student city in Stockholm! The major unis are Karolinska, Uppsala, Lund and maybe Goteburg. They're all good unis but I think all the undergraduate courses are taught in Swedish and only some Masters in English but I may be wrong. Best to research it.
If you want to study in the US then it really depends on whether the school is public or private. Another contributing factor would be the cost of living in the area. For example, a school in NYC would have higher accommodation fees than an institution in The-Middle-of-Nowhere, Kansas.

You can apply for scholarships! It seems like the schools here are more willing to give funding to those from outside the country than citizens of the US. Obviously, private schools typically hand out more scholarships than public schools.

http://www.princetonreview.com/college-education.aspx <-- this website is sort of the US equivalent of The Guardian (I think). You may need to sign up for membership but it ranks the schools and explains the male/female ratio, costs, greek life, housing accommodations, the strongest programs of study offered, pros and cons of the campus, and the average standardized testing scores and GPA.
Reply 7
Probably the top 20-40 unis in Holland, Belgium, Germany. However, you would be regarded as an international student, thus pay international tuition fees which will average at around £6000-10,000.
Reply 8
I think Vietnam charge a few p for a pint.
Original post by forex
Probably the top 20-40 unis in Holland, Belgium, Germany. However, you would be regarded as an international student, thus pay international tuition fees which will average at around £6000-10,000.

As a UK student he would be considered a EU student and pay home fees.
Places that are cheaper to study :-
NZ.
Canada.
EU countries.......though not all of it are all that fantastic.

USA, if you have the brains that could get you into Oxbridge, then chances are you probably will have sufficient brains to get to study in USA for a bargain through their scholarships.
Don't come to America. Our tuition is twice as much as in the UK.
It doesn't matter whether or not the university is private or public, as an international student you have to play for out of state tuition.
Scholarships will help, only if you're a true straight A student or a superstar athlete.

Then again it depends on what part of America you're looking in to. North Dakota would be less expensive than say New York City or Los Angeles, but who wants to go to North Dakota?
Holland has lots of courses in english and the tuition fees for EU students are only around 1700 euro's a year. I have quite a few friends who are going there this year. Maastricht, Tilburg and Erasmus (Rotterdam) are just a few of the ones that offer courses in english. Also living costs are generally cheaper than in the UK, and pretty much everyone on Holland speaks English.
Original post by forex

Actually there have been a surge of British students going to Holland to study because they teach in English and the fees are around £1500 a year.
Germany, in many states, it's completely free, and in others it's around £400 per semester (500€) as the degree there is a bit different, you don't just get set an amount of years that you study for, you just study until you have the degree completed. So no, what you said is false.

OP: If you're looking to study in English, look in the nordic countries, eastern or southern European countries as many of these offers courses in English. Granted, your choice might be restricted, but you're bound to find your course in one country. Especially Holland as they seem to be using the fact that our fees are going up, to attract British students with their low fees and English courses.
Reply 14
Zimbabwe
Reply 15
Original post by HurricaneDominic
I have always wanted to study abroad but the cost has always put me off!
I used to want to study at UNSW or the University of Sydney but the Aussie fees put me off, especially as the UK already has some awesome Universities itself.

Also, does anyone know the cost (in £) per year of study in each of the following Countries:

- USA
- Australia
- Canada

THANKS! :smile:

Stumbled upon this a while ago. Think you might find it of use.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/mar/06/university-europe-no-debt
Reply 16
Original post by SpiritedAway
Actually there have been a surge of British students going to Holland to study because they teach in English and the fees are around £1500 a year.
Germany, in many states, it's completely free, and in others it's around £400 per semester (500€) as the degree there is a bit different, you don't just get set an amount of years that you study for, you just study until you have the degree completed. So no, what you said is false.

OP: If you're looking to study in English, look in the nordic countries, eastern or southern European countries as many of these offers courses in English. Granted, your choice might be restricted, but you're bound to find your course in one country. Especially Holland as they seem to be using the fact that our fees are going up, to attract British students with their low fees and English courses.

Just out of curiosity why do they want to attract British students?
Original post by TheMJCG

Not sure. There was an article a while back with an interview with someone high up from a university in Holland, who was talking about how they'd always had a lack of English speaking (mother tongue) students, despite their courses being in English - until now. But Holland is nice; the standards of living is much higher, the course is in English and much cheaper ect. it's just a lovely place to be.
Original post by TheMJCG

Having lots of international students raises the international profile of a university. + alumni networks etc.
Original post by Xenomorph v2.1

The issue with Norway and Sweden is the number of undergradute degrees taught in English, the University of Southern Denmark has a range of undergraduate degrees offered in English.

Holland provides a diverse range of undergraduate degrees offered in English and UK students are eligable for funding. To see a list of degrees offered by European Universites and taught in English visit http://www.degreesahead.co.uk/university/university-in-europe.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending