The Student Room Group

Which is the CHEAPEST Country to study in outside of the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMJCG
Just out of curiosity why do they want to attract British students?

The reason that European Universities that are offering degrees taught in English want UK students is two fold, firstly they want native English speakers on campus and secondly it is seen as prestigous having UK students
Reply 21
Hi, I am from Holland (and coming to England in september to study, lol) and I have to admit, it's pretty cheap to study here compared to the UK. If you'd like to be in an international environment, I recommend to look at the so-called 'University Colleges' - there's one in Amsterdam for example, and also in Utrecht and Maastricht. They tend to select their students, whereas other (regular) Dutch universities do not. They offer English-taught courses, most of them Liberal Arts & Sciences. Apart from that, many bachelors are taught in Dutch so you'll have to search for ones that are taught in English :smile:
Reply 22
Non of the Dutch Universities appear to do Civil Engineering in English. The same goes for many of the Swedish Universities such as Lund that I have researched!
University of Amsterdam looked really great though!
Original post by HurricaneDominic
I have always wanted to study abroad but the cost has always put me off!
I used to want to study at UNSW or the University of Sydney but the Aussie fees put me off, especially as the UK already has some awesome Universities itself.

Also, does anyone know the cost (in £) per year of study in each of the following Countries:

- USA
- Australia
- Canada

THANKS! :smile:

Canada has quite a complicated system because of the different regions, although i spent a while researching fees there a while back and for Toronto university it was about 15,000 euros for international students + living costs.

Although to add a university to their version of 'ucas' was like £120 alone! :O
Reply 24
Original post by TheUsername42
Canada has quite a complicated system because of the different regions, although i spent a while researching fees there a while back and for Toronto university it was about 15,000 euros for international students + living costs.

Although to add a university to their version of 'ucas' was like £120 alone! :O

I'm starting to discount Universities in Countries that are further afield..
I think I'll stick to the like of Spain, France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland.

Does anyone know of Universities in Europe that teach Civil Engineering in English?

I think I'll stick to the like of Spain, France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland.

Does anyone know of Universities in Europe that teach Civil Engineering in English?

literally from two seconds on google...do a bit of your own research.

http://www.viauc.com/horsens/programmes/fulldegree/civil/programme/Pages/programme.aspx
Reply 26
Original post by beefmaster

http://www.viauc.com/horsens/programmes/fulldegree/civil/programme/Pages/programme.aspx

Thanks, and FYI, I had already been on their website.
It's all very complicated. There's no outline of what A Level grades they want.
They refer to A Level Maths, B Level Physics and C Level Chemistry.

I have though, made out that I am not required to pay tuition fees which is always a good thing.

Thanks a lot for the link by the way. Also, is there anywhere I can go to find more Universities offering Civil Engineering in English? Or do you know of any yourself?

Original post by beefmaster

What did you search to find that degree taught in english? whenever i type in 'biomedical sciences undergraduate europe' into google i don't get anything useful.

The cost of living in the latter 4 will be extremely high so you'll end up paying more than you would have done in the UK more than likely. For example, in Finland your degree will take you 5 or 6 years at least because they only award a Masters degree, there isn't really such a thing as a Bachelor in a lot of European countries. Unlike the UK there isn't really a culture of 'you start in X year and you graduate in Y year' which you know from the beginning of the course, its just a case of as and when and its really normal for people to take a decade or so to finish their studies. Unless you've got a lot of financial backing and can afford it, it will be very expensive to live as a student. I was probably spending around 800e a month in Finland because everything is just so much more expensive than in the UK.
Reply 29
Original post by oxymoronic
The cost of living in the latter 4 will be extremely high so you'll end up paying more than you would have done in the UK more than likely. For example, in Finland your degree will take you 5 or 6 years at least because they only award a Masters degree, there isn't really such a thing as a Bachelor in a lot of European countries. Unlike the UK there isn't really a culture of 'you start in X year and you graduate in Y year' which you know from the beginning of the course, its just a case of as and when and its really normal for people to take a decade or so to finish their studies. Unless you've got a lot of financial backing and can afford it, it will be very expensive to live as a student. I was probably spending around 800e a month in Finland because everything is just so much more expensive than in the UK.

Wow, that's a big no no then.
I will continue looking at places like Holland and also RoI but maybe I should just stick to UK? :smile:

Wow, that's a big no no then.
I will continue looking at places like Holland and also RoI but maybe I should just stick to UK? :smile:

It depends what you want and your motives for studying abroad. You could do an undergrad in the UK and then do an ERASMUS year abroad? You still get all of your UK funding for this year and your LEA might pay for your flights to get to the country, plus a non repayable grant from the EU regardless of your income (I got about 300e a month) and then the EU will pay your UK tuition fees if you go for the whole academic year, so there is an awful lot of funding available which you couldn't access if you went and did your entire degree there. This is what I did and then considered doing my Masters abroad after finishing my undergrad as from my year abroad I gained so much knowledge/insight into the university systems of different countries from my friends, so then I could make a more informed decision.... plus there were people across Europe who I could live with :smile: I never did do this plan as I did a PGCE instead and am now teaching.... but its certainly something to consider.

As I said though it totally depends on why you want to go abroad in the first place. I knew I was going to do a year abroad when I applied to university and picked my choices on the basis of their exchange links, but I didn't consider doing my actual degree outside of the UK.
Reply 31
Is there a website with this information on it?
Also, do any of these Universities teach in English? Thanks! :smile:

Some do, but you have far more choices if you learn Norwegian. (It shouldn't take more than a few months with intense training; 'tis an easy language.)

You don't have to write a PS either. That might be a plus to some.

A levels aren't in the tariff system, so your grades will be assessed individually.

The most prevalent downside is the horrifying lack of university hosted accomodation. You might expect rents exceeding £600 if you study at a university in a decently sized town. Furthermore, the general price level is higher on everything really.

Check out the universities' websites for more info. The unis in Bergen and Oslo, as well as the Norwegian University of Science and Technology are the most "prestigious" ones.

I don't know much about the rest of Scandinavia though.

Original post by oxymoronic

In Norway, the system is pretty much the same, but with minor differences:
Bachelor's = 3 years
Bachelor's + Master's = 5 years
Master's (Postgraduate) = 2 years
PhD (Post Master's) = 3 years
Bachelor's + Master's + PhD = 8 years
Siv.ing (Integrated Bachelor's and master's) = 5 years.

Agree completely on the money issue. It's the same in Norway as well. That's one of the "push factors" that convinced me to study abroad.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
The American fees are ridiculous. In America it's an entirely free market with no caps at all, so if you want cheap fees America is literally the last place you'd consider.

Exactly; the US is awful in this regard.

You should also note that university degrees in the US are for 4 years, so aside from having to spend more time getting an undergraduate degree, the fees really add up to a lot as you're paying them for 4 years, not 3 as with everywhere else (including the UK).
There are a lot of countries whose undergraduate tuition fee's are significantly less or very similar to that of the UK :-)
There are also a surprising number of unis around the world that have their courses taught in English (as a number of people have pointed out in this thread)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The Student World
X

Why can't you just STOP at providing information? Why must you constantly, even in threads that are barely related to the topic, promote your event (from which you stand to make a profit on)? Seriously, have some shame :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm reporting your post for advertising.
Reply 35
Hey, I'm currently studying in Poland and I can tell you by far this was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The european educational system is really just wonderful, the government is actually worried about its citizens, and educational is a loot cheaper than in north america. I go to the Jagiellonian University, the second oldest in Central Europe, and study in Kraków, which to me is basically the coolest city in the whole world.

I'm not sure if you've been to Europe at all, but it was just such a big shock when I first came here. The city is absolutely amazing, magical, fairy-tale like. The kind of views you see in movies with princesses and princes, but with a cosmopolitan vibe to it. It's the town in the world with the highest number of restaurants, pubs and clubs per square meter. Also, it was recently the European capital of culture.

Poland is the sixth richest country in the EU at the moment, one of the fastest growing and a really beautiful place to live at (relative cost of living is also a big plus if compared to most other developed countries).

I waste about 150 eur per month with food, and I'd say I eat out very often and take the bus at least twice a day.
I pay about 220 euros per month to live in an apartament I would consider really comfortable and modern, in the city center (close to the most amazing market square I've ever seen), and pay 3650 euros per year to study in an university considered one of the elite colleges in Europe, really well known and praised for Copernicus and other brilliant minds having studied here. My classmates come from all over the globe and it just gives it such a great atmosphere to study, especially in my field, which is International Relations.

The teachers are extremely intelligent and well trained - I just love going to classes and highly recommend you to take a look at the university page:

http://www.sis.uj.edu.pl/undergraduate-programmes/international-relations-and-area-studies/

(the new programme above is a mix of all the best humanistic courses that already exist in Polish in the university, with the best professors and staff, so it's supposed to be really good)

and that's the university page:

http://www.uj.edu.pl/en_GB/

By the way, unlike in America, in Europe there is no SAT's. Europeans mostly go to tuition free studies, but when they pay (in the case of programmes in English), you have to max. have an interview with the dean and proove you can speak English fluently. Such are the social benefits of living in Europe!

Getting a visa to live in Europe is really straight forward, especially if you're a student, and living here is a wonderful experience! If you choose to study in Kraków, you can go on exchange programmes twice during your studies (for 1 or two semesters), and the european government will pay you about half of what you waste in the second country, especially if you have good grades (above 65%).

Anyway, the best of luck to you and if you have any questions let me know :smile: - Highly recommend Kraków and the Jagiellonian University!

[email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending