The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Official Nottingham University chat thread 2011-

Scroll to see replies

I joined cheese soc in my first year (back when you could join societies using real money, and you could become a member on the spur of a moment whilst giddy at freshers fair, or whilst drunk at a social). Unfortunately, I think it is no longer in existance. Try searching for it on the su site, and nothing appears! Also, look at its facebook group, its wall just has posts from people moaning about the society's decline. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5323614018#!/group.php?gid=5323614018&v=wall

Not a big music fan, so wont be joining the library, though I wish I had been involved in an srs earlier on at my time at Uni. But I willl continue to make good use of the Uni's DVDs (search PN1997 and PN1992.77 in the library's catalogue)

The only new thing I have joined is PGSA, so now I definately feel old. Im still a member of Physsoc, I joined when it was cheap (price set by me), and will probably continue to go to some of Trent's CU events.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Post deleted
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cunningstunt87
Do they have the latest releases or is it all stuff thats been out for a couple of years?

I thought you could still pay cash at Freshers Fair to join a society?

Then again, I also thought kids would do anything for Dairylea....

I'm 24, you don't know what old age is. My back and knees have already started creaking (possibly a weight issue rather than an age issue though)

Yeah, I fail. I mean, obviously you can, but you cant pay at the society's stall, which really cuts down on joining a society like cheese soc in the heat of the moment.
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN
Yeah, I fail. I mean, obviously you can, but you cant pay at the society's stall, which really cuts down on joining a society like cheese soc in the heat of the moment.

You've got to have a real craving to join cheese soc in the heat of the moment mate!!
Reply 44
Soon-to-be fresher. Not sure if I'm looking forward to Fresher's Week very much - I've never enjoyed clubbing and getting drunk that much, and I'm far too shy for my own good. I'll try to join some societies because I'm absolutely crap at approaching people for the first time.
It seems like Nottingham is going to be full of people who love to party, but I'm feeling doubtful I'll find any like-minded people. Three years of being a recluse isn't too bad, right? :tongue:
Original post by toasteh
Soon-to-be fresher. Not sure if I'm looking forward to Fresher's Week very much - I've never enjoyed clubbing and getting drunk that much, and I'm far too shy for my own good. I'll try to join some societies because I'm absolutely crap at approaching people for the first time.
It seems like Nottingham is going to be full of people who love to party, but I'm feeling doubtful I'll find any like-minded people. Three years of being a recluse isn't too bad, right? :tongue:

There's going to be LOADS to do that don't involve drinking or clubbing! You're by no means the only one that doesn't enjoy those things!
The committee of a network should all have access to all their members names and student id numbers via the su website, after which it only takes a quick student look up search to find what course that student is on. (I once stalked all members of my society and drew up some nice pie-charts, that was fun). But yeah, anyone can join and vote in these networks, hence why BME had a few kerfuffles this last year or so.

But I definately do feel old to be able to legitimately attend PGSA stuff.

And for those who dont read my tweets, today I dfound out that not only can soc/club/network exec see who is in their group at that moment, they can also see all members since september 2008 (when memberships went online)
(edited 12 years ago)
It wouldn't let me rep you for this mate but it's exactly how I feel.

Determined to have one last push next year - try and put some real effort into my studies and pick up a new hobby or two.

Original post by toasteh

I sort of know how you feel, I've never been one for clubbing because I'm not one for alcopops, sh*t music, dancing and I never pick up women in clubs anyway.

I didn't do any of the nights in Freshers except for the last one cos I wanted to see Feeder play. I should also add that if there's one thing I really hate it's fancy dress. If I want to look a **** when I go out then I can do it without facepaint and paper tassles. Was plenty to do though hanging around the JCR and getting to know people who hadn't gone out. It will be a minority who will go out every night so there will always be people around to talk to.

Post some interests up here and you may make a friend or 2 before you start. If you support West Ham, appreciate varied music and swear a lot then we should get on fine :thumbsup:
Post deleted
(edited 10 years ago)

I didn't do any of the nights in Freshers except for the last one cos I wanted to see Feeder play. I should also add that if there's one thing I really hate it's fancy dress. If I want to look a **** when I go out then I can do it without facepaint and paper tassles. Was plenty to do though hanging around the JCR and getting to know people who hadn't gone out. It will be a minority who will go out every night so there will always be people around to talk to.

Oh I totally agree about the fancy dress. It's so much hassle getting dressed up, I just want to go out in my normal clothes! :tongue:
Post deleted
(edited 10 years ago)
It will be interesting to see if Impact does make any changes now that it has new editors. At my previous university, the student newspaper was actualy a newspaper; and it was really interesting to be able to read what was happening on campus. Last year, in Impact I saw 2 articles that were highly plagiarised (1 was a review of a new theatre play that literally just changed the names of the actors from a different performance in London!) and were then taken down without much of an apology.
Hi! I was wondering where I would collect my NUS card from when I arrive in three weeks, is it the SU?
Reply 53
Original post by yahyahyahs
Hi! I was wondering where I would collect my NUS card from when I arrive in three weeks, is it the SU?

If you're in halls, you'll be given it when you arrive. Otherwise, you'll probably be given it when you register in the sports hall at some point during week one.
Original post by alex-hs
If you're in halls, you'll be given it when you arrive. Otherwise, you'll probably be given it when you register in the sports hall at some point during week one.

Oh I forgot to specify, the NUS Extra card, the one you have to pay for.
Dont know, sorry. Did it not say when you applied? Contact the SU (they have sent loads of messages about this extra card) 0115 8468800 [email protected] - at a guess Id say it would be the reception in portland that you get it from, but I honestly dont know.
Has anyone ever been turned down for a student discount because they didn't have the NUS Extra card...
Reply 57
Has anyone ever been turned down for a student discount because they didn't have the NUS Extra card...

It's just a moneymaking exercise between the NUS and SUs. I've never bought one. Waste of money. Everywhere will accept your normal student card for student discount.
Reply 58
Supermarket on campus?
Original post by Mathmos
Supermarket on campus?

There are shops on campus (SU shop, Boots and Waterstones) but no Supermarket. There are plenty of shops and supermarkets within walking distance though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending