The Student Room Group

Wearing Glasses as a fashion accessory

Why would people wear glasses solely for fashion purposes; What are they trying to convey? And do you think this is quite common i.e. that a sizeable amount of people who wear glasses are not for sight improvements.

Scroll to see replies

They look stupid, those lens-less glasses, which are bigger than their face. Horrendous.

And they claim to be trying to be more individual, yet they're following like sheep.
Reply 2
Reply 3
Pure pointlessness. Loads of chavs going around in those 3d glasses you get at the cinema. Eurgh.
Original post by Fusion
Why would people wear glasses solely for fashion purposes; What are they trying to convey? And do you think this is quite common i.e. that a sizeable amount of people who wear glasses are not for sight improvements.

i wear them for sight but turn them into a fashion accessory for me to go with my outfit
its pretty hipster haha but no more trend following than other aspects of fashion. The only annoying thing about it is when people make some sort of thing about it saying how it makes them "look individual" or some similar rubbish!
Reply 6
I look horrible wearing glasses, I'm so glad that I don't have to wear them anymore after junior high... Some people look good with glasses (even though lens-less ones) - but sometimes they just look stupid - I guess it depends on the person, I mean some people could really pull it off.
I like wearing glasses.
Reply 8
It tends to be the chavs who do it to look more 'intelligent'!
I take it you mean those clear lense, oversized ''Geek Glasses''I think the scene kids started it off, and then it spread like a disease. I despise people that wear them, they think they look 'hip'' and ''edgy'', but they look ridiculous. I saw one girl wearing them in town and I was annoyed just looking at her.

Obviously, if someone genuinely needs to wear glasses, that's completely different.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
They look like try hard dickheads.
Reply 11
I don't get it at all. I wish my eyes weren't retarded and that I didn't have to wear glasses at all, as it is I lug 2 pairs about with me.
Reply 12
I can't see without my glasses and I love wearing them. They complete my 'nerd' look.
Reply 13
Personally I love wearing my glasses, it adds to my image of what I represent, and that is, being ORSUM.

On that note, I despise all who wear them solely as a fashion accessory. But then again, when can you tell?
Reply 14
I have to wear them for my sight :frown: but I think if I ever save up enough for laser eye surgery I might still keep them and wear them sometimes, they cover up dark shadows under my eyes :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
I've seen an article that says people think people in glasses (normal frames, lensless or otherwise, not 3D or anything) do better in interviews and people perceive them as smarter.

I like my glasses :dontknow: They sort of finish my face.
I don't have any sight problems, but when I take my brother to the opticians I love trying on all the sample pairs :frown: I think I look really good in some of them! If it wasn't so silly I'd love to have a few with just normal glass in them :P
If you don't need glasses, but wear them purely as a fashion statement, then you look ridiculous. Especially as they're usually outsized and anyone who had prescription glasses like that would be labelled as 'uncool/unfashionable'.

It's a different matter if you have one than one pair of prescription glasses to match your outfit or mood.
People like me used to get bullied horrendously for wearing glasses, now these same retards are all wearing them. :facepalm:
Reply 19
I have the worst eyesight ever but I'm glad as I really suit glasses, they finish off my face - I always get comlimented on my glasses :h:
However, I hate the fact that al the people at school who teased me mercilessly for my NHS specs are now the ones wearing the geek glasses in order to look cool. Seriously...what the hell?

Quick Reply

Latest