The Student Room Group

Any tips for wearing glasses?

So I recently found out I'm short sighted and have to wear glasses when looking at screens or driving. I'm not looking forward to it, my nose will get itchy and I don't want to get dents on my nose. How can I prevent this, is there something clear that I can put on my nose to protect it or something

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I recently found out I'm short sighted and have to wear glasses when looking at screens or driving. I'm not looking forward to it, my nose will get itchy and I don't want to get dents on my nose. How can I prevent this, is there something clear that I can put on my nose to protect it or something

You can get contacts if it's going to really bother you, but if you get glasses that are the right size, I can't imagine you will have too many issues. You'll probably get used to it as well. I'd just say be careful when picking your frames, make sure you get a pair that really suit your face type.
Reply 2

if you wear metal glasses with those little plastic pads you'll get dents, but i have plastic glasses and don't really get that problem. sometimes i have a subtle line on my nose but it fades away quite fast and i dont think its a big deal
Reply 3
Original post by Iced_Tea
You can get contacts if it's going to really bother you, but if you get glasses that are the right size, I can't imagine you will have too many issues. You'll probably get used to it as well. I'd just say be careful when picking your frames, make sure you get a pair that really suit your face type.

I'm not sure about contacts, I'd probably forget I was wearing them and end up sleeping with them on and with my luck they'd move while I was sleeping and get stuck 😅 I've already brought glasses just waiting for them.
Reply 4
Original post by mymelo
if you wear metal glasses with those little plastic pads you'll get dents, but i have plastic glasses and don't really get that problem. sometimes i have a subtle line on my nose but it fades away quite fast and i dont think its a big deal

That's what I thought, a few people in my family have those metal glasses with the plastic/rubber pads and they have dents on their nose but my sibling has only ever had the plastic ones without the pads and they have no dents on their nose which is why I've brought plastic ones without the pads so hopefully I'll be ok, it's just the itchiness that's going to be a problem.

What makes you think your nose will be itchy? :confused:
Reply 6
Original post by 5hyl33n
What makes you think your nose will be itchy? :confused:

Idk like from the frame because I've worn sunglasses before and they made my nose itch sometimes like it's ok if I'm not driving but if I'm driving I'm going to have to wait to scratch my nose because you have to have both hands on the wheel at all times unless your changing gears or indicating
Reply 7
That's what I thought, a few people in my family have those metal glasses with the plastic/rubber pads and they have dents on their nose but my sibling has only ever had the plastic ones without the pads and they have no dents on their nose which is why I've brought plastic ones without the pads so hopefully I'll be ok, it's just the itchiness that's going to be a problem.

once you get used to them you hardly feel them!
Reply 8
Welcome to the glasses wearers club!

Good fitted acetate frames won't leave dents on your nose.
Extended wear contacts or what is called Night&Day contacts will be a good option too for those who tend to fall asleep with contacts. Anyways, if you want contacts you should go to an optometrist for a proper fitting and it doesn't mean that this kind of lenses are suitable for your eyes.

Personally I prefer metal frames because they are lighter.
I can relate to what you say about the nose being itchy. I wasn't wearing sunglasses before I started wearing glasses outside for the exact same reason, the frame is never natural on the face, it is annoying to have a foreign object on your face. With time you will get used to it.
Idk like from the frame because I've worn sunglasses before and they made my nose itch sometimes like it's ok if I'm not driving but if I'm driving I'm going to have to wait to scratch my nose because you have to have both hands on the wheel at all times unless your changing gears or indicating

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve heard of that issue before.

Wait for them to arrive and see how you get on.

As above, welcome to the glasses wearers club. 😁
Heyyy
I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 5 and have never had an itchy nose. When I was younger I wore the metal ones with nose pads but they were super uncomfortable and left dents (my dad has noticeable dents from his glasses) so for the past 7 is years I’ve had plastic glasses. There is such a big difference and are so much comfier. Just make sure you have a frame that suits your face and isn’t too big/small. The plastic frame is really smooth especially round the nose area so I don’t really understand your itchy problem.

If you're only wearing them while driving or looking at screens you shouldn't have any problems. I remember when I first got glasses in my teens I really didn't like wearing them, but it was more because of having to wear them all the time. I found having frames against my face & ears all day uncomfortable & if I'd just been wearing them for reading, computer use etc I don't think it would have bothered me.

Original post by agent_duck343
Heyyy
I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 5 and have never had an itchy nose. When I was younger I wore the metal ones with nose pads but they were super uncomfortable and left dents (my dad has noticeable dents from his glasses) so for the past 7 is years I’ve had plastic glasses. There is such a big difference and are so much comfier. Just make sure you have a frame that suits your face and isn’t too big/small. The plastic frame is really smooth especially round the nose area so I don’t really understand your itchy problem.

I agree that plastic frames are more comfortable than metal ones. I've a couple of different pairs to choose from & I definitely feel the difference. I've got some of the round metal ones with very thin frames which I wore most of the time at one point & still wear fairly often now, because I feel they give me a more sophisticated look & I like the fact they're almost invisible against my face. However they're quite tight around my ears & nose & wearing them all day can be annoying so its a balance between fashion & comfort. The other pair I have at the moment are plastic frames & these are more comfortable, sometimes I hardly notice I'm wearing them. They've got a fairly bright tortoiseshell pattern & look stylish so I'm wearing these quite regularly now.
I wear glasses and to be honest half the time I forget I have them on haha! Never once had an itchy nose! I would look in to getting contact lenses too if you're that concerned. I wear contact lenses in the day and I put my glasses on evening time.
Reply 13
Update: Thanks for all the replies, I picked the glasses up today, they have a plastic frame but they're is no difference in my sight with them on like I've been trying to read car number plates from 20 metres and road signs from a distance but there's no difference, still look blurry. I called them and they said I need a few days to get used to them and call back if there's no change. I'm going to wear them while on my phone, laptop etc even though I don't need them for that but I was told to wear the, for screens and driving. Now I've got a new worry that it won't improve and I'll have to get a more thorough exam and there's a more serious problem.
Reply 14
Update: Thanks for all the replies, I picked the glasses up today, they have a plastic frame but they're is no difference in my sight with them on like I've been trying to read car number plates from 20 metres and road signs from a distance but there's no difference, still look blurry. I called them and they said I need a few days to get used to them and call back if there's no change. I'm going to wear them while on my phone, laptop etc even though I don't need them for that but I was told to wear the, for screens and driving. Now I've got a new worry that it won't improve and I'll have to get a more thorough exam and there's a more serious problem.

What is your prescription?
What is your visual acuity with and without glasses?
Have you been tested with your pupils dilated?

Only thing I'll warn you about is the sun. IDK about anyone else, but I sometimes get a funny tan-line stripe across my nose where my glasses have been (I'm not allowed contacts until sixth form 🙄) so I'd advise wearing contacts in the sun if that's something you can do. Although if it's short-sightedness that might be less of an issue...?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1

I think contacts is a good alternative or you can get laser surgery so you don't need to use contacts or glasses but it is expensive.
Reply 17
when i get my new frames i always ask for gel nose pads! if you find the thin plasticy ones uncomfy it might be worth asking, it depends what frame you pick though. and be careful of the arms digging in the backs of your ears, they might have not been fitted right, (it always happens with me 👿 ) good luck w/ ur new glasses!

When I pray, they kinda dig into your nose a bit and hurt but it should be fine. I started wearing glasses around 6-8 months ago. My advice is, PLEASE DO NOT SIT ON YOUR GLASSES OR PUT ANYTHING ON TOP OF THEM!!!! My 1st pair had something out into of it and one of the sticks came clean off, and I accidentally sat on my new pair so nearly everyday, I have to push the stick up slightly so it don't dig into my ears.

I still haven't managed to master the art of making sure my glasses don't fog up when I come into a building or car/bus, but if you find out, lemme know!

All the best! (Keep this in mind, people should respect a person with glasses as they've paid to see you!)

Hey, stop worrying. It happens and at the end of the day, you are human. Honestly, my eyesight is nearly perfect, at -0.5 and -0.75, but I wear mine to sharpen up stuff and make sure I don't get migraines. I have the separate issue of double vision and puffy eyes for no reason so I'm getting a few scans, but its absolutely nothing to worry about. The docs even gave me free biscuits at the hospital (which is notorious in our area), so yh!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending