The Student Room Group

Why do boys/men always look at me weirdly?

it's like they're scared of me or something even doctors do it. Especially the younger ones. Like they can't talk to me properly it's like they don't want to be there. It always happens at the cinema like some of the men who work there give me weird looks except for one like when I first saw him he was the same, gave me a weird look but then after we spoke when I got food and he was by the till he hasn't given me any more weird looks he just smiles at me. Does this happen to any other girls? Like why do they do that, it's just weird and makes things awkward for no reason.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymusy
it's like they're scared of me or something even doctors do it. Especially the younger ones. Like they can't talk to me properly it's like they don't want to be there. It always happens at the cinema like some of the men who work there give me weird looks except for one like when I first saw him he was the same, gave me a weird look but then after we spoke when I got food and he was by the till he hasn't given me any more weird looks he just smiles at me. Does this happen to any other girls? Like why do they do that, it's just weird and makes things awkward for no reason.

I'm not a girl, but you are not the only one.

Having said that, if a lot of guys are doing that, then it's likely something you're doing. By your username, I presume you don't want to show photos of yourself so it's going to be difficult to advise.
What do you normally wear when you are out? Do you go heavy on makeup? Do you have a lot of piercings? Do you wear quirky accesories? Do you make very intense stares/look very angry/stressed out?
Sometimes we could be transferring our mood onto strangers. This is a bad habit, but if you are going through a tough patch, find people who you trust to talk to.
Reply 2
There is a variety of possible reasons, mostly connected with your appearance and the first impressions that you project to strangers.

Do you have an angry face or aggressive body language?
What type of makeup look do you generally go for?
Do you have an unusual hairstyle or lots of very large tattoos?
Any large or unusual animals that are usually taken out with you?
Do any of your clothes or accessories include references to controversial activist movements like 'babies lives matter'/jeremy4labour/'trump2024'?
Are you closely involved with any countercultural movement members?
maybe you are attractive
Could be that you are attractive or even very attractive if it eyeing up, quick flirty looks.

Otherwise could be behaviour that seems bizarre. Another possibility if you're fairly overweight or very it could make you look a bit strange as it can make the figure look a bit peculiar to the usual. In that case it will likely be kind of perplexed looks I guess.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not a girl, but you are not the only one.

Having said that, if a lot of guys are doing that, then it's likely something you're doing. By your username, I presume you don't want to show photos of yourself so it's going to be difficult to advise.
What do you normally wear when you are out? Do you go heavy on makeup? Do you have a lot of piercings? Do you wear quirky accesories? Do you make very intense stares/look very angry/stressed out?
Sometimes we could be transferring our mood onto strangers. This is a bad habit, but if you are going through a tough patch, find people who you trust to talk to.

I dress casual when I go out and wear little makeup. No excessive piercings or quirky accessories and no I don't give them intense stares.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
There is a variety of possible reasons, mostly connected with your appearance and the first impressions that you project to strangers.

Do you have an angry face or aggressive body language?
What type of makeup look do you generally go for?
Do you have an unusual hairstyle or lots of very large tattoos?
Any large or unusual animals that are usually taken out with you?
Do any of your clothes or accessories include references to controversial activist movements like 'babies lives matter'/jeremy4labour/'trump2024'?
Are you closely involved with any countercultural movement members?

No I don't have an angry face or aggressive body language. No heavy makeup. No, I usually just wear hats/hoodys so they can't really see much of my hair which I just tie back or leave loose. I don't have any pets so no animals to take out. No I wear plain/simple casual clothes and no I'm not involved with any countercultural movement members.
Reply 7
Original post by karl pilkington
maybe you are attractive

maybe
Reply 8
Original post by Katerina S.
Could be that you are attractive or even very attractive if it eyeing up, quick flirty looks.

Otherwise could be behaviour that seems bizarre. Another possibility if you're fairly overweight or very it could make you look a bit strange as it can make the figure look a bit peculiar to the usual. In that case it will likely be kind of perplexed looks I guess.

Maybe but doesn't seem flirty to me, just weird. I don't have any odd behaviour. Not overweight.
Original post by Anonymusy
Maybe but doesn't seem flirty to me, just weird. I don't have any odd behaviour. Not overweight.

Without seeing you it's difficult to tell, it sounds like it is probably something visual if the cinema guy was ok after talking to you.

Are you possibly a heavy set build for most females? Or particularly peculiar looking? Very geeky looking? Or some other thing that makes you stand out particularly from most other females?

Sometimes it doesn't have to be real extreme to make you stand out.

Also consider what your eye contact is like, is it warm & friendly or does it come across as aggressive?

If it's something visual as it sounds like it might be then I guess looking in a mirror and considering how anything about you might be anything other than usual might be doing it.

Other thought is whether it is in your mind? Your mind reading into something that isn't there?

Either way if you can't work it out then you're going to need someone to tell you. Possibly going to a counselor might be the easiest way to avoid awkwardness with pressing others where it's not really their domain of expertise. The cost of an hour's counseling session may be all that is needed to get you the answer you're looking for.
Reply 10
Update: nothing has changed, the last person to do this was my new driving instructor last week, he looks young not sure if he's younger or older than me. It was ok during the lesson there were no weird looks but at the end we had eye contact while he was telling me what he thought of my driving and he gave me that same weird look lol and I had to look away maybe cos it was the first time seeing him, maybe next time he won't look at me weirdly like the cinema guy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending