The Student Room Group

Media in the 2010 General Election?

How did the media influence the result of the 2010 General Election? Anyone got any ideas about how to structure this? Not quite sure about how to approach it....Any help is much appriciated!
Thank you!
Reply 1
I wouldn't know about structure etc, but you could mention about the left wing/right wing bias, and perhaps any negative news stories from left wing newspaper about Conservative MPs and vice versa?
I doubt I've added anything you didn't know, but at least I've bumped the thread :biggrin:.
Reply 2
most of them declared their support for one or another of the three main parties or in some cases tactical voting, how much impact this had is harder to ascertain, some will tell you it had no impact, others that it was key to the outcome. personally I think they have an influence, but its a marginal one as most people consume the media they agree with most anyway so are unlikely to be influenced to change their existing views by the media.

I wouldnt phrase it as left/right wing bias either tbh, parties themselves is better, largely as they dont always fit that simplistic spectrum and vice versa.
- Television debates - seemed important but were they? (Bandwaggon/Boomerang effect on Clegg and the LibDems's)
- Newspaper coverage, The Sun's "Labour's Lost It" headline - compare to 92 and 97. Look at different media theories ie. selective exposure, interpretation and retention.
- Is class and region the more deciding factor? What about the voting system - would PR have allowed the media hype surrounding the LibDems to have paid off moreso?

hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending