The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have all but economics instead of physics. The others are pretty easy. Chemistry will require some good amount of reading I must add.
well I think biology is harder at A2 level compared to chemistry at A2

Much much harder...
Don't put me off! I do Biology and Chemistry at the moment and it's been fun. You have to put in work from the beginning though - I've been re reading my notes as I've gone through the term so most of the information has stuck in my mind. I'd say al the exams are picky in marking, not just chemistry. Saying "water's boiling point is high" is a little vague
Kavanne
I do all 4 at A Level :smile:

The are all very interrelated subjects that back each other up and this does make it slightly easier to swallow.

:smile:

I was talking to a Chemistry teacher on an opening day for a sixth form, his opinion was that doing all the sciences plus mathematics is very tough. A mathematics and physical AS student said she hasn't even got time for social life and that she has to continuously revise and look over her work.
Reply 24
FaTcUtEcHeKiEz
I was talking to a Chemistry teacher on an opening day for a sixth form, his opinion was that doing all the sciences plus mathematics is very tough.
Hence why i chose french over physics in my combo...for the crack and also cos all sciences + double maths would KILL me but not necessarily for others!
Reply 25
I began in year 12 taking maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and biology, but dropped biology cause I enjoyed it least. Though now I wish I had dropped chemistry. Anyway your subject combination is definately campatable and would set you up nicely for a degree in any science.
Reply 26
I'd say that it depends on what you want to do.
I personally wouldn't recomend doing 3 scieces and maths, however you should if you're not sure what you want to do, and you want to leave your options open.
I personally wouldn't reconnmend all three because there's no variety. I would die if I did all three + maths. I do Biology, Chemistry, R.S and product design for a nice mix and it keeps me sane :smile:
I did GCSE double science and got double a*.

Physics at a level is verrryyy hard in my opinion.

AS level is ok as long as you keep on top of the work. At A2, however, I barely understand what is happening! :eek: If you do Physics do Maths as well, or you will struggle.

Also, doing those subjects you dont have variety. An essay subject is useful to have as it shows that you are good at a wide range of subjects.
Reply 29
you'll survive. I do all apart from history instead of physics, to keep my options open. In my opinion there pretty logical and if explained well are easy to grasp, but you do have to learn alot of stuff. I think maths this year is really interesting, and the workload isnt very high, just doing questions really. Unfortunently i have a completly retarded science department, with only 2 people doing chemistry this year becuase the teaching is so bad, my teacher can only just speak english.
Reply 30
FaTcUtEcHeKiEz
A mathematics and physical AS student said she hasn't even got time for social life and that she has to continuously revise and look over her work.
Dare I say perhaps the girl you are talking about isn't as academically able as me? I find I have plenty of time. I have 6 hours free a week and fine I only spend 3 of those doing set homework and I never do any at home soo... You have to think hard about your own ability and passion before choosing whatever combination you do.
DartsOfPleasure
I personally wouldn't reconnmend all three because there's no variety. I would die if I did all three + maths.
And I would die if I had to take a non-science subject. Because that's who I am. She has to choose the combination most suited to her.
Reply 31
I was going to do 3 sciences and maths, but after alot of thinking and discussion with teachers i decided to take business instead of physics. The reason being i thought it would be too hard work to do all of the three and i would need a softer option so that i wudnt go insane. I know people who are doing all 4, and they dont think its too bad, but we have only just done core one. No doubt about it, universities will look upon it highly, but i wanted a bit of variation in my subjects!

btw, if u do 2 science and maths or 3 sciences you are part of 5% of people doing alevels who do that, about 2% if u do all 4!
dups45

btw, if u do 2 science and maths or 3 sciences you are part of 5% of people doing alevels who do that, about 2% if u do all 4!

wow that is kinda interesting :smile:
Joe_87
I do the 3 sciences plus maths, I even did History for AS too, I'm probably a masochist though.

i can't imagine myself doing all three sciences plus mathematics in addition to history out of all subjects, i have heared that history is long. you must be really smart to handle those subjects, how do you find it?
soulsussed
I know so many people who do this lol - it must be the most commeon A level combination (totally contradicting what some else said I know :smile: )

I think you could do with taking a contrasting subject, it shows that you have more skills, which is what universities are encouraging now. I do maths and chemistry and I actually find it really hard only doing one science subject - especially when my other subjects are art and DT - totally unrelated lol. But say if you took maths and 2 sciences and then maybe a contrast like english, history, economics - I know some people who take phsychology which works well. But you can choose whatever obviously. I think it'll give you some breadth and is what I would recommend personally :smile:

Yeh, I took Biology, Chemistry, Psychology & in the end, swopped latin for english AS level. I find biology, chem & psychology r a really good combination, & enjoy them all, although chemistry in particular can be rather confusing at times. I think in a way it helps, 2 an extent, if you do maths because there are various calculations, more in A2 (AQA) chem, which are a bit of a pain & got me a bit confused at points. Once u work on them though, its fine.
Reply 35
Sona
someone else said this
i do ocr.

why?

Biology module 4 is pretty difficult, there are so many different things you need to know about (Ranging from genetics problems to bladder control :rolleyes: ), where as in chemistry module 4 (a second organic module) you just have to learn about a few more functional groups (benzene compounds, phenol, amines etc).

Oh, and then there is the synoptic biology exam, fun...
Reply 36
I do all 4 as well as law.

Maths - core 1 easy, gets more difficult but not that bad
Biology - A LOT OF STUFF TO LEARN. Not really about intelligence, more ability to take in lots of facts.
Chemistry - Easy
Physics - Not bad

If you do physics, TAKE MATHS! I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!
Reply 37
You can do all 4 and get through. I am sure you have seen that by the many people on this thread who have done it or are doing it. I just wanted to add my name to the list of people doing it (+ Further Maths).

Physics: Excellent. Quite hard. Maths is very helpful, particulalry for A2.

Chemistry: Much harder than GCSE. Loads of stuff to learn and understand.

Biology: Mainly knowledge but some understanding at A2 (not enough to make it harder than Chemistry).

Maths: Really good. You'll know whether Maths is for you when you get your C1/2 results.
Reply 38
Biology Sucks!!!!!!!! Biology Especially At Alevel Is A Killeeeerrrrr!!!!
elo!!
ive just started my AS levels atm and i do maths, chemistry, biology n french and although sooo many people have said im crazy, i enjoy them (but do at times find them difficult)!!
i think as long as your willing to work and have an interest in the subject there is no reason why you won't do well!!
one word of advice tho...the step up from GCSE to AS is H.U.G.E!! and im still in shock because the work load is sooo different and sooo much more advanced but keep smiling :smile: and im sure you will be fine whateva u choose to do! x x x

Latest