The Student Room Group

which science is the hardest? (chemistry, physics or biology)

in your opinion which a level science is the hardest? and can you rank the hardest to least hardest as well please :smile: and btw would doing maths, further maths and chemistry be too hard for an average student with a target A/7?
i'm only doing chemistry in case i change my mind in the future and want to do something medicine related. but for now i'm thinking of something maths related/computer science... so should i do physics instead? would it be easier as physics involves maths and i think i'm pretty good at it lol :smile:
So I take biology and chemistry but not physics - I did however, do physics at GCSE.

From my experience, I do really enjoy both my scicences but I probably prefer chem to bio. My chemistry lessons go super fast and I am doing better in terms of grades in chem than bio. As of yet, I haven't come across any really really tough parts of chemistry.
Biology however, I find pretty hard. Although I do quite well in biology, I do find it pretty ticky. If I had to sum up biology, I would say it's similar to learning a new language in the way that there are so many new biology specific words (!! such as poolysaccharide, endoplasmic reticulum and mannyy more!)

I do have some friends that do geography and the general consensus is that they enjoy physics but they dont have a clue what's going on. Basically one of my friends took a test in chem and a test in physics and didnt revise for either - he got a C in chemistry and did "very badly" in physics.

So putting all that together, I would rank them (from hardest to easiest):
Physics
Biology
Chemistry

But youre bound to get a lot of deviation different opinons from a lot of people
Hey, I do Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry.

This question is highly subjective any my only answer is that all the sciences at A Level are excruciating to most, but in different ways. A lot of my friends would say Chemistry, but I find Chemistry my easiest A Level (because I read unhealthily ahead in Y11 because I knew I wanted to do it), and Physics quite harder.

Anything STEM really FM, Maths, Physics is your main ticket, but you have FM which already opens a lot of doors in that field.
Reply 3
Personally, I can't really rank them in order of difficulty.
I'm taking biology, chemistry and maths.
For me biology is simple and I really enjoy chemistry so I'd say that the difficulty level is about the same although chemistry uses quite a bit of maths and you need to understand concepts in order to use them whereas biology is content heavy. having said that, biology mark schemes are very picky with key words and awarding marks...
I'd definitely say do what you enjoy for a level and if you've already got the idea of going into maths/ computer sciences then physics is probably a better option?.
Original post by BlackPink24
in your opinion which a level science is the hardest? and can you rank the hardest to least hardest as well please :smile: and btw would doing maths, further maths and chemistry be too hard for an average student with a target A/7?
i'm only doing chemistry in case i change my mind in the future and want to do something medicine related. but for now i'm thinking of something maths related/computer science... so should i do physics instead? would it be easier as physics involves maths and i think i'm pretty good at it lol :smile:

I did all three at GCSE (A*s for all), and dropped physics for A-Level.

However, I did chemistry and biology at A-level.

Biology was okay, I got an A, but Chemistry I got a B...

Chemistry was very very hard.

My advice is, if you don't need it specifically for anything (e.g. you're not doing medicine, vet med or dentistry) DO NOT take it as a subject. It will save you a lot of stress and torture :smile:

In my opinion, from easiest to hardest I would say Biology, Physics then Chemistry. Everyone has said that Chemistry is the hardest, even my teachers and ex-students. I do both Physics and Chemistry so I wouldn't know much about it but I hear its a lot of content and definitions.

My friend does Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics, and he does amazing but only because he works super hard. For an average student, it may seem slightly skewed towards hard but with enough work and practice it should be fine.

Also, I'd like to think that Physics would help but please check the entry requirements for a Computer Science degree. I'm linking you to a thread where someone asked a similar question: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1060938
I did Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at A-level.

I personally found chemistry the hardest. Physics is essentially a bunch of equations, you know them and when they should be applied, you'll be fine. Biology is largely a big info pile you just need to remember. Chemistry was for me a nasty mix of the two.

One thing I would check is look at the marking criteria for your coursework and how the marks get allocated. Another reason I dropped chemistry after AS was, whilst biology and physics coursework marks were spread in different sections so if you missed marks in one place you could make them up elsewhere, chemistry had a pyramid system. If you missed any of the lower level marks, you couldn't get any of the higher level marks even if you'd met their criteria.

Something to watch out for.
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE!!!! :hugs:
Reply 8
no one asked what grades you got
Physics/Quantum Mechanics, everything else sort of makes sense, you can approach any other discipline with common sense, In biology you deal with extremely complex systems and set of events bu i you look at them one by one they sort of make sense and you can relate to them, all of it is quite intuitive. QM is exactly the opposite. Also the way it's being taught is really confusing
Likely and dont have this problem because all those words are greek and since iam a greek cypriot those names are easy😂
Reply 11
physics at higher level is 10X harder than both

Don't overwork yourself. If you can do physics then there's basically no need to do mathematics and further maths, that is if you want to do something medicine related. Physics actually has a lot more opportunities than biology. Sadly, I find it my hardest science. My ranking goes from biology, chemistry then physics.
Reply 13
I love your content but am little confuse some other website: https://educatoroid.com/is-chemistry-harder-than-physics/ thoughts are different on this:
"The debate of whether chemistry is harder than physics often sparks exciting discussions in the world of science. Students find it confusing when choosing their subjects, and they want to know which one is more demanding. However, this question has no straightforward answer because it all boils down to an individual’s interests, skills, and capabilities.

To be more specific, students who are good at math and equations find chemistry harder because it does not interest them. Similarly, those who like memorizing and understanding things find chemistry easier than physics. So, there is no direct answer to this question; however, this gives us a chance to explore the fundamental principles, intricacies, and practical applications of both fields to make it easier for you to derive which one is harder for you."
Am little confuse on this what's right, kindly let me know your thoughts on that?
i haven't done all a-levels, i'm doing chem and phys, but from what i've heard about biology, i'd rank from hardest to easiest:
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
I don't take physics, but from what I've heard (hardest --> easiest)
Chemistry
Biology
Physics

Quick Reply

Latest