The Student Room Group

Student jailed 6 months for stealing £3.50 bottle of water

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8695988/London-riots-Lidl-water-thief-jailed-for-six-months.html

He had no criminal record and pleaded guilty but was given the maximum sentence the magistrate courts could hand out.

The judge said: “The burglary of commercial premises in circumstances such as this where substantial and wholesale public disorder has taken place is in effect what is commonly called looting.”
He said Robinson’s previous good character and early plea of guilty to a non-dwelling burglary, as well as the low value of goods stolen, the fact he was in education, and his remorse, were in his favour.

I know a lot, if not most, of comments will be clapping and celebrating this sentence. But I personally don't think half a year in prison fits the crime of stealing a bottle of water. I agree he should be punished. But if he deserves 6 months for stealing £3.50 water. How long should we jail the millionaire and billionaire tax dodgers? why shouldn't David Cameron be jailed for taking £21,000 from tax payers to pay for his mortgage?

Ordinary people jump at the courts to throw the book at people like this kid. But when it comes to others like Mr Cameron, what happens? Nada. Yet he then goes on lecturing the country on morals. Argh, it makes me so angry when this happens. Google search Oxford bullingdon club.

I forgot (it's true :ashamed2:) to pay for a £5 souvenir from Alton Towers shop when I was 9. Perhaps I should have been jailed for half a year? :teehee:

Edit: I'm not arguing he should not be punished. Just raising the question of proportionally with the crime and the sentence given.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because the judicial system in this country is crap.
It looks like he got more than he bargained for
its called an example,

This guys committed a low end crime (in relation and proportion of what has happened) and now the government and police want to see someone swing from the end of a rope.

Its to show the country that though the theft was relatively insignificant he will still do time for it.
Reply 4
The "other people break the law and don't get caught, therefore since you caught me you shouldn't punish me" defence is not a particularly good one, to be honest.
Original post by Reformed2010
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8695988/London-riots-Lidl-water-thief-jailed-for-six-months.html

He had no criminal record and pleaded guilty but was given the maximum sentence the magistrate courts could hand out.

I know a lot, if not most, of comments will be clapping and celebrating this sentence. But I personally don't think half a year in prison fits the crime of stealing a bottle of water. I agree he should be punished. But if he deserves 6 months for stealing £3.50 water. How long should we jail the millionaire and billionaire tax dodgers? why shouldn't David Cameron be jailed for taking £21,000 from tax payers to pay for his mortgage?

Ordinary people jump at the courts to throw the book at people like this kid. But when it comes to others like Mr Cameron? what happens? Nada. Yet he then goes on lecturing the country on morals. Argh.

I forgot (it's true :ashamed2:) to pay for a £5 souvenir from Alton Towers shop when I was 9. Perhaps I should have been jailed for half a year? :teehee:

It does seem a bit harsh. Mu mum was saying that she wasn't sure if she would turn me in if I had got caught in the moment and stolen something and it was completely out of character as I would get a police record and limit my chances. On the other hand she said if I had actually broken in to a shop or started a fire she would have no hesitation. A lot of people would take the opportunity to take something if they thought they would get away with it.

(I am not even in the country at the moment)
Reply 6
This is so weird.

There is a guy on my road who was caught touching children in our local park inappropriate places, they were all aged about 7 and under and he'd touch their privates whilst pretending to 'look after them'

He got a suspended sentence.
What a pointless thing to steal.
Reply 8
It's worse that he looted Lidl of all shops
Original post by King_Blumpkins
What a pointless thing to steal.

Hardly, if anything water is the thing we need most compared to a Macbook.
Reply 10
How many murderers and rapists will be set free so they can stick him away in one of our over-crowded, under-funded prisons?
I agree 100% with you

there is no consistency in the criminal system (especially in relation to sentencing) in the the UK.

sentences aren't at all made relative to another depending on the severity of the crime, when they should be

he steals a £3.50 bottle of water and gets half a year, however Cheryl Tweedy knocks the **** out of a woman at a nightclub, is convicted for ABH (actual bodily harm) and only had to do a couple of measly hours community service and pay a fine... ridiculous
one expensive bottle of water! he should of pleaded THIRSTY!
Original post by Beska
The "other people break the law and don't get caught, therefore since you caught me you shouldn't punish me" defence is not a particularly good one, to be honest.

Huh? He didn't exactly run that defence did he though?

Surely you must agree that the sentence is disproportionate based on the lack of a criminal record and for the low value of the stolen goods in question?
Reply 14
Original post by mistermeowingtons
Huh? He didn't exactly run that defence did he though?

Surely you must agree that the sentence is disproportionate based on the lack of a criminal record and for the low value of the stolen goods in question?

I was referring to the arguments made in the OP, for example:

How long should we jail the millionaire and billionaire tax dodgers?

why shouldn't David Cameron be jailed for taking £21,000 from tax payers to pay for his mortgage?

Ordinary people jump at the courts to throw the book at people like this kid. But when it comes to others like Mr Cameron? what happens? Nada.

Just because "millionaire tax dodgers" are not convicted does not mean that this criminal should be let off as well. It's false logic.
Reply 15
A friend of mine had her mum hit and killed by a drunk driver.

He got 4 months.
Original post by Beska
Who used that defence? if you mean't me (I apologise in advanced if this wasn't directed at me) I never used that line. My only point was he got a 6 month sentence, so how long should tax robbing David Cameron or billionaires get. I stated in bold he should be punished. :wink:

I was simply expressing my annoyance that MPs get away with crimes. I was not arguing this mean't the student should be freed. Didn't realise my comment came across like that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
That's a really expensive bottle of water...
What race is he out of interest?
Reply 19
Original post by Reformed2010
x x

I agree that the guy should be punished for stealing, but 6 months? Thats crazy, water is a part of your needs. A small fine [tenner at most] or a bit of community service.

e] Why negged?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending