The Student Room Group

Cleaning badly stained carpets

Wondering how to clean a years worth of stains and dirt from a carpet with things you can buy from a supermarket.

Have a final inspection for our student house and need to get it reasonably clean to avoid any fines

Any help you be greatly appreciated
Did you not...clean...while you were living there for the whole year??
Reply 2
Original post by Bewdy
Wondering how to clean a years worth of stains and dirt from a carpet with things you can buy from a supermarket.

Have a final inspection for our student house and need to get it reasonably clean to avoid any fines

What are the stains? Coffee? WIne? Beer?

You can hire carpet cleaners from many supermarkets.
Reply 3
Rug Doctor is called for here.
Original post by Bewdy

Hey there @Bewdy !
As someone who had pasta sauce stains on their carpet at the end of first year, I can definitely relate to this. Thankfully, my mum brought our vax carpet cleaner from home to help me go over the carpet at the end but I realise this isn't for everyone. It is on the pricier side of cleaning products but I seriously recommend something called 'Dr Beckmann's Carpet Cleaner'. The bottle has a little brush head on the top and it's like a squeezy triangle-shaped bottle. It is a miracle worker. Foam comes from the top and you can scrub the carpet with the brush that's on the end of the bottle. I found it got rid of some of the worse stains within like 10 minutes. Either that or just your bog standard shop's own-brand carpet cleaner but it might take more effort to scrub.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 5
To clean a heavily stained carpet, you can try the following steps with supermarket-bought items:

Vacuum thoroughly to remove loose dirt.

Spot-treat stains with a mixture of equal parts white vinegar and water.

Sprinkle baking soda over the carpet and let it sit for a few hours to absorb odors.

Use a carpet cleaner or a mixture of dish soap and warm water for deep cleaning.

Blot, don't rub, to avoid spreading stains.

Allow the carpet to dry completely before the final inspection.

[start]Always check product labels for compatibility with your carpet type.[/start]
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending