The Student Room Group
Reply 3
I'm not entirely sure how you'd write an essay on this, but it's something I'm bringing into my coursework: at the moment, the East is still more disadvantaged than the West, though not to the same extent as it used to be, unemployment rates in the East are about 7% higher than in the West etc. Merkel comes from the East. Is she likely to make rules that will benefit the East more than the West? Controversial viewpoint, but one worth thinking about.

By the way - if this is AQA coursework, make sure you have a very specific title, or you'll get penalised.

Hope this helps x
Reply 4
*soph*
I'm not entirely sure how you'd write an essay on this, but it's something I'm bringing into my coursework: at the moment, the East is still more disadvantaged than the West, though not to the same extent as it used to be, unemployment rates in the East are about 7% higher than in the West etc. Merkel comes from the East. Is she likely to make rules that will benefit the East more than the West? Controversial viewpoint, but one worth thinking about.

That's a good point since it offers you the possibility to link Politics and her biography and that's always better than just outlinig her life. An alternative might be to analyze how her relationship to Kohl and her relationship to other top politicians of the CDU influenced and still influence her career and her political attitude. Or more general:You can try to outline her political positions in a correlation with her outward appearance.
Another point might be her (changing?!) attitude towards the US and the war against terrorism.

Just a few ideas, but I begin to like the eastern, protestant, female story. It might only be a problem that it could narrow down your work to some specific aspects and that you may try (just as German media and rivalising politicians did btw) to make her fit into this cliché. IMO she has neither tried to hide her origins, nor done anything that has given a big advantage to the population of the Neuen Länder.
Reply 5
Not sure if you could fit this in anywhere, but my teacher found me an article about Merkel visiting Jacques Chirac and Tony Blair because she wants to strengthen relations between Germany and the rest of Europe, particularly Western Europe. Apparently, she'd been in a press conference with Blair and said to a journalist that one of her priorities was strengthening links with neighbours, especially France - then remembered Blair was sitting next to her and had to hurriedly add that building links with Britain is important too. Don't know how it would fit anywhere, but it's a bit more useless info for you!
Reply 6
I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if anyone's already posted this link:
http://www.bundeskanzlerin.de/

The German govt website's also good for general info:
http://www.bundesregierung.de/

Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Hi Rowie!
Reply 8
try the goethe institut website it's got articles about everything and they're in english and german.
hope this helps
Hey,

I'm from Germany, from Dresden (u remember) and I can't find a rational reason to write about Ange-lala Merkel when talking about German politician.
This women is not more than an electorate's wrong decision.

Here you have some information about her political career:
http://www.angela-merkel.de/index.php?mode=werdegang

ciao

Georg

@ beeboo: I'm impressed, there are not many students in Dresden who know the "Goethe Institute". Maybe it also depends on the fact that I spend most of the time with students of business admin. - and they meet perfectly the funny clichè of the "stupid business student".

Latest

Trending

Trending