Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Cambridge 2012 Medicine Applicants Thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Good luck for 2012 entry just got in for 2011 - I hope to be seeing some of you next year if anyone needs any help i.e. interview advice, or just general guidance, feel free to inbox and I'll be as much help as I possibly can be - good luck with the BMATs; I'm sure you will all do fabulously.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely thinking of applying to Cambridge, but I am still thinking about the college. All of them have some many great singular features about them. I'll make my mind up soon though.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, how far along the application have you guys come? I am in the process of writing my personal statement and will, when I eventually am finished, start practicing for the BMATs.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crimlex)
    So, how far along the application have you guys come? I am in the process of writing my personal statement and will, when I eventually am finished, start practicing for the BMATs.
    I've written the majority of my PS (got three lines left to sum up). However I've got my Ukcat coming up in a week or so, and then its going to be major BMAT revision for me. Our school takes in our application 3/4 weeks before UCAS deadline though. I can't believe applying to university has come round so fast! :nope:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have not started writing my personal statement .
    Been on holiday for a month, got back a couple of days before results day. UKCAT is on the 24th.
    I'm putting everything on hold until after my UKCAT. Then I'll start on my PS. I also bought the Kaplan BMAT book (cost a fortune, better be worth it god damnit). Such a big book compared to the other 'official' BMAT book :L. I guess I've got to start reading it sometime...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iepnauy)
    I have not started writing my personal statement .
    Been on holiday for a month, got back a couple of days before results day. UKCAT is on the 24th.
    I'm putting everything on hold until after my UKCAT. Then I'll start on my PS. I also bought the Kaplan BMAT book (cost a fortune, better be worth it god damnit). Such a big book compared to the other 'official' BMAT book :L. I guess I've got to start reading it sometime...
    Good Luck for Wednesday!! I got that BMAT book too, I hope its worth it...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sailingslipelick)
    Good Luck for Wednesday!! I got that BMAT book too, I hope its worth it...
    Ha, Good luck to you too! I'm sure you'll ace it .
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. Can I just say - Cmon Caius! I hope you all the best in ur applications and don't hesitate to contact me about them. Btw, Caius interviews 80% of applicants, not 100% (unless their policy has changed). At least u all agree on the best university
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    BTW, I am in no way biased *looks around uneasily* but Caius is by far the best college.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have low UMS , gonna do 2 resits in January to make it upto about 90% average UMS.

Need to absolutely ace my BMAT !
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am def considering it but not too fond of BMAT. Will make up my mind in around a week.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    does selection vary from college to college? what is the general selection process? thanks
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassan_s)
    Hey everyone. Can I just say - Cmon Caius! I hope you all the best in ur applications and don't hesitate to contact me about them. Btw, Caius interviews 80% of applicants, not 100% (unless their policy has changed). At least u all agree on the best university
    Wait wut? Why does the website say they interview everyone? :hmmm:
    http://www.cai.cam.ac.uk/medicine
    Oh well . Still going to apply there :L

As far as logistics allow, we like to make our decision for all candidates based on as much information as possible and therefore we currently offer interviews to all applicants.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are colleges lower down the tompkins table generally less strict on BMAT scores?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganky)
    Are colleges lower down the tompkins table generally less strict on BMAT scores?
    It's pretty hard to tell to be honest. I don't think you'd be able to find that out easily.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey all - Good luck to getting into Cambridge... Hard times are upon us

But I've got some questions...
    How hard is to get into Churchill? (Sorry about not sharing any enthusiasm for Caius or Emma! )
    Also I was wondering... How can you prep for the BMAT?
    And will Cambridge look down on you if you did 5 AS? :confused:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xLittleSmirkx)
    Hey all - Good luck to getting into Cambridge... Hard times are upon us

But I've got some questions...
    How hard is to get into Churchill? (Sorry about not sharing any enthusiasm for Caius or Emma! )
    Also I was wondering... How can you prep for the BMAT?
    And will Cambridge look down on you if you did 5 AS? :confused:
    Hard to say how difficult it is for a particular college. Most will be roughly the same, and it can vary year by year.

Revise GCSE Science, use the preparation books. Do the past papers.

Why would they look down on you for 5 AS?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)

Why would they look down on you for 5 AS?
    Because every teacher, both VI form college and those I've spoken to at Cambridge did the whole *wince* *pained look* and "Are you sure?" Plus, there were these stories about awesome students who weren't accepted - not helped by the fact that most of my classmates never fail to remind me of those unfortunate peeps...
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because every teacher, both VI form college and those I've spoken to at Cambridge did the whole *wince* *pained look* and "Are you sure?" Plus, there were these stories about awesome students who weren't accepted - not helped by the fact that most of my classmates never fail to remind me of those unfortunate peeps...
    I'm just not sure what you mean by looking down because of 5 AS.

Most people will have 4 (maybe 5 if you include GS/CT but they're ignored anyway).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably because they care about UMS %, average person with an offer has average 96% UMS at my school, so with 5 subjects that's harder to get for very little gain.
Updated: February 10, 2013
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.