The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Physics 2011-2012 Discussion/Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by tomctutor
Ive attached the missing marking instructions for AHP2005-6 papers
together with a terse set of cheatsheets - useful for revision

The definitions on that cheat sheet are really helpful, thanks.

Just to let you guys know that the "specimen" answers are horrible. Littered with poor physics and mistakes.
Reply 82
Original post by Marcus4004
Just to let you guys know that the "specimen" answers are horrible. Littered with poor physics and mistakes.

I'd agree with that, here's a link to a few SQA solutions i found after (again haha):

http://www.hswd.co.uk/trinity/index.php?menu=0&page=264

Best to use SQA website for the rest too.
Reply 83
:rolleyes:
Original post by Marcus4004

The answer links aren't the handwritten ones anymore. They look like they are official now

http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/advanced-higher/
Reply 84
Hey guys,

I know the chances of this derivation coming up are pretty remote, but does anyone know how to derive:

a = 2?
Reply 85
I presume its just a = v^2/r then you sub in v = ωr

Giving: a = ω^2*r^2/r
= rω^2
This particular derivation is quite complex and the best way is by simply memorising the mehtod and understanding it.

α=ΔvΔt\alpha =\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}

α=2vsin(θ/2)rθ/v\alpha =\frac{2vsin(\theta/2)}{r\theta/v}

The "sin" can be taken out as for small values sinθ=θ\sin\theta = \theta therefore:

α=2v(θ/2)rθ/v\alpha =\frac{2v(\theta/2)}{r\theta/v}

Then by cancellation:

α=v2r\alpha =\frac{v^2}{r}

And by using the formula; v=ωrv = \omega r and finally you have derived the equation!:

α=ω2r\alpha =\omega^2 r

Hope this helped!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chandler

The answer links aren't the handwritten ones anymore. They look like they are official now

Aaah I'm really sorry, I accidentally clicked the negative rep thing on your post. Can I undo it?
Nah reps can't be undone, although I'll rep him aswell.

Thank you for this aswell! :smile:

P.S. There is also this website which is very helpful: it contains notes, pastpapers from 2002- i think- and also has online assistance for any queries.

Mr Long
(edited 11 years ago)

Cheers i didn't realize, must have been the email i sent the author of the website... haha
Reply 90
Original post by Aerofantastic94
This particular derivation is quite complex and the best way is by simply memorising the mehtod and understanding it.

α=ΔvΔt\alpha =\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}

α=2vsin(θ/2)rθ/v\alpha =\frac{2vsin(\theta/2)}{r\theta/v}

The "sin" can be taken out as for small values sinθ=θ\sin\theta = \theta therefore:

α=2v(θ/2)rθ/v\alpha =\frac{2v(\theta/2)}{r\theta/v}

Then by cancellation:

α=v2r\alpha =\frac{v^2}{r}

And by using the formula; v=ωrv = \omega r and finally you have derived the equation!:

α=ω2r\alpha =\omega^2 r

Hope this helped!

Brilliant! Thank you!
Reply 91
Hi guys,

Just noticed this equation on scholar for polarisation:

I = I0cos2θ

Would I be right in saying we don't need to know about this?
Reply 92
Original post by RyJ
Hi guys,

I = I0cos2θ

I don't think they will ask you to calculate intensity (I) based on that equation. But you should be aware of the fact that when you change θ, I will follow a cyclic pattern (full I, then half I, no I, then half I again, full I).
Reply 93
Original post by soup
I don't think they will ask you to calculate intensity (I) based on that equation. But you should be aware of the fact that when you change θ, I will follow a cyclic pattern (full I, then half I, no I, then half I again, full I).

Yeah, I'm fine with that stuff. I have seen that formula come up in a past paper before, but it was more about how you would prove that it works and stuffs...

And yeah, there's I varies A2 for waves etc. Thanks!
Original post by RyJ
Hi guys,

I = I0cos2θ

I am guessing that the derivation could come up as a problem solving question...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my cm_tenderloin
Original post by RyJ
And yeah, there's I varies A2 for waves etc. Thanks!

Which gives you the derivation pretty much directly.
In 2004 question 8(c) the paper makes reference to a magnetic induction of 5.0 mT but then in the marking instructions it is subbed in as 5 * 10^(-5), and then the calculation is done as though it were 5 * 10^(-6). Am I missing something fairly big or has the infallible SQA made a mistake? :P

(To clarify what I did, I subbed it in as 0.0050 and got an answer in the form X * 10^(-9) whereas the SQA's answer is * 10^(-6), but their calculation gives * 10^(-7)...)
Original post by derangedyoshi
In 2004 question 8(c) the paper makes reference to a magnetic induction of 5.0 mT but then in the marking instructions it is subbed in as 5 * 10^(-5), and then the calculation is done as though it were 5 * 10^(-6). Am I missing something fairly big or has the infallible SQA made a mistake? :P

(To clarify what I did, I subbed it in as 0.0050 and got an answer in the form X * 10^(-9) whereas the SQA's answer is * 10^(-6), but their calculation gives * 10^(-7)...)

I think that must be a mistake.

Spoiler

Original post by ukdragon37
I think that must be a mistake.

Spoiler

Good, I was a little concerned there :P Thanks.

Spoiler

Reply 99
Original post by derangedyoshi

the correct answer to 2004.8(c) should be 3.6×109s3.6\times10^{-9}s using mπ/qBm\pi /qB
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending