The Student Room Group

6As at Higher SQA

next year (s5) I'm taking 5 subjects at school; the 3 sciences, maths and english (which I all got A1s for in my nat 5 prelims). However, I've decided to take on an additional responsibility of teaching myself a SIXTH Higher at home (engineering science, which I have already discussed with my physics teacher and another teacher). Oxbridge may not take into account 6 highers if the person comes from a school where you're allowed to take 6 (as it is unfair), but do you think since I'm taking my 6th as an EXTRA subject that if I got 6As at Higher I'd have a good chance at oxbridge? btw, does anyone know the % of people that get 6As at higher
Original post by ilovesushi_
next year (s5) I'm taking 5 subjects at school; the 3 sciences, maths and english (which I all got A1s for in my nat 5 prelims). However, I've decided to take on an additional responsibility of teaching myself a SIXTH Higher at home (engineering science, which I have already discussed with my physics teacher and another teacher). Oxbridge may not take into account 6 highers if the person comes from a school where you're allowed to take 6 (as it is unfair), but do you think since I'm taking my 6th as an EXTRA subject that if I got 6As at Higher I'd have a good chance at oxbridge? btw, does anyone know the % of people that get 6As at higher

Why not stay on until 6th year and then you are able to pick up the extra higher in Engineering Science that way? You would still be teaching yourself the course (assuming your centre doesn't provide it) but without doing so on top of 5 other subjects.

You can view the latest attainment statistics here at: https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/attainment-statistics-(august)-2022-provisional-summary.pdf

You need to consider the entry requirements for the courses you are interested in. Additional highers are usually considered for Minimum entry requirements rather than standard.

Example:
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/6260b1e6-9708-9286-4b40-8bc847e1f491?academicYearId=2023&backUrl=https:%2F%2Fwww.ucas.com%2Fexplore%2Frelated%2F351374e0-7548-01be-a996-dc560274708e%3Fsubject%3DMechanical%2520engineering%26studyYear%3Dcurrent&courseOptionId=be9f7ad8-acd4-4a37-8b06-6af6781bb7aa#entry-requirements

This is for Mechanical Engineering at one of the Oxford colleges. Entry requirements are: AAAAB or AAAAA (which is essentially standard for Engineering type courses across the UK) but note the follow up of "Supplemented by two or more Advanced Highers". When you then look at the Advanced Highers section it reads: "Including Mathematics and Physics Conditional offers will usually be for AAB if a student is able to take three Advanced Highers; where this is not possible then a student would be expected to achieve AA in two Advanced Highers, as well as an A grade in an additional Higher course taken in Year 6". So the question then becomes: what is that 6th higher achieving in specific relation to applying to Oxbridge? (What I've discussed is one example of course but it makes my point).

Could you clarify exactly what you mean by "... that if I got 6As at Higher I'd have a good chance at oxbridge?"
Advanced Highers will be more important for Oxbridge than an extra Higher
I did 7 its trivial
I’m
Original post by AvgMedApplicant
I did 7 its trivial

7?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending