The Student Room Group

Anyone going Birkbeck Uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi guys

I'm 26 and I've just submitted my application to do a BA Linguistics and Language with Spanish at Birkbeck.

It sounds like a really nice place and I think the diversity of students, culturally and age-wise will create a really nice and interesting atmosphere.

I really hope I get an offer because I love the sound of this place and this degree. I won't know anyone there though as I'm relocating from up North!
Reply 21
Hi guys,
I just got an offer for MSc International Marketing at Birkbeck starting in October 2012. I'm an international student. Can anyone in this field share some ideas about the courses and any other suggestions for life in London? And also the accommodation in London? How do you find a flat to share with?
Looking at a LLM qualifying law degree, full time. I'm 21 years old and having been to a taster seminar there a week or two ago, also fear that i'll be the youngest on my course, which isn't necessarily a bad thing after three years of being a normal (day for work and night for going out) undergrad at warwick. what do you guys feel re fees? i'm quite lucky that my course hasn't had a fee rise but i'm sure I can't be the only one whose eyes are watering at most of the undergrads having to pay £27k for a degree.
I'm starting Bsc Psychology (part time) in October, i'm 35 and haven't studied anywhere near this level for 8-9 years so a tad nervous but also can't wait.
Reply 24
Original post by Bueno93
Any students attending Birkbeck, University of London?
What is it like?

I'm starting Psychology this year.

Are you nuts? Of course there are students attending Birkbeck. Thousands.
I'm at Birkbeck at the moment doing an MSc. It is a good uni with a good reputation, although not many people have heard of it. The fact that Birkbeck is part of University of London does signal to people that the quality of teaching and students is high however once they hear about that part.

One thing that makes Birkbeck a bit different from other unis is that many lectures take place in the evening and many courses are done part-time as well as full-time. My lectures for example are two evenings a week from 6-9pm which means that I can work during the day. A lot of students are mature students which means that most people come in to uni straight from being at work all day. I haven't found this to be a negative thing at all as it just means you get a wider range of people's experiences to draw on during class discussions etc.

Because Birkbeck's main campus is in Bloomsbury (central London, only about 10mins walk from Oxford St) there are good transport links and with several other universities just next door there is always lots of students around the area as well. The library is good as well and has excellent opening hours- 8.30am-11.45pm every day during term time.
Reply 26
I've now got an offer from Birkbeck to study Linguistics and languages with Spanish, starting this October. I'm so excited! I seriously cannot wait to start, although I am slightly dubious about evening study but hoping to find a job down there that fits in with those hours.
Reply 27
Im starting Birkbeck Uni in September and I was wondering if they have freshers week/fornight???
Hi all,

Sorry, another mature student lol.

I've been accepted onto a postgrad at Birkbeck later this year and was, like some of the above, wondering what most people were doing for accommodation? Any advice/tips etc. welcome.
Is Birkbeck University only in evening?
Aren't there any undergraduate day time classes?
Original post by BondCovalentBond
Is Birkbeck University only in evening?
Aren't there any undergraduate day time classes?

It only teaches undergraduate courses in the evening, usually 6-9pm. It runs SOME saturday day classes for only parts of certain modules (usually on their access courses/CertHEs), so if you're going there expect to be doing only evening classes :smile:
Original post by emmanuel_goldstein
Hi all,

Sorry, another mature student lol.

I've been accepted onto a postgrad at Birkbeck later this year and was, like some of the above, wondering what most people were doing for accommodation? Any advice/tips etc. welcome.

I'm a mature student doing a postgrad at the moment. I'm living in a houseshare and working part-time to cover my living costs while studying full-time.

Do you already live in London? Will you be working and studying? Accommodation is one of the most expensive parts of living in London, so a lot of people I know live in houseshares. Spareroom (www.spareroom.co.uk) and Moveflat (www.moveflat.com) are good places to start looking, but be aware that any rooms you look at will easily go in a day, so you need to move fast and be prepared to go to viewings ASAP after an ad goes up or someone else will grab it.
Original post by thewaythingsare
I'm a mature student doing a postgrad at the moment. I'm living in a houseshare and working part-time to cover my living costs while studying full-time.

Do you already live in London? Will you be working and studying? Accommodation is one of the most expensive parts of living in London, so a lot of people I know live in houseshares. Spareroom (www.spareroom.co.uk) and Moveflat (www.moveflat.com) are good places to start looking, but be aware that any rooms you look at will easily go in a day, so you need to move fast and be prepared to go to viewings ASAP after an ad goes up or someone else will grab it.

I'll probably be in much teh same boat, and I'm hoping part-time work isn't too scarce in London. I'm not in London yet, I will be moving over closer to the start of term (probably sometime in September), but I've started looking around the various Halls and properties for rent to get an idea of costs etc. Thanks for the websites and advice :smile:
I'm awaiting a decision on an MRes in Structural and Molecular Biology for Sept 2012 start. Tick tock.

It sounds like a great course, intense and challenging, but great. A collaboration with UCL as part of the Institute of Structural Molecular Biology :smile:
Reply 34
Heya everybody, I am starting full time BA history in october 2012 and am 19 :smile: Can't wait to meet you guys, has any of you applied for an accommodation through BBK? I've been told I won't know where they'll locate me till july 15th lol

I am a foreigner student so I am excited and worried at the same time, but I can really tell I can't wait to start :smile: :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending