The Student Room Group
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London

[Birkbeck] - MSc in Data Science / Computer Science - Interview + Test

Hi guys,

I am in the process of applying for the MSc in Data Science at Birkbeck, University of London.

I have been called in for an interview and aptitude test in the next couple of weeks, and just wanted to see if anyone here could provide a bit more information on it.

As far as I am aware, the Python aptitude test for the MSc Data Science is the same, or similar, to the aptitude test for the MSc in Computer Science.

Although it is a conversion course aimed at people with little to no computer science background (like me), I'm still a bit nervous about the aptitude test.

How much knowledge of Python and programming are they realistically looking for?

I have read over the 'A Short Introduction to Computer Programming Using Python' document they sent over, is there anything else I can do to prep for the interview and test?

I'd appreciate any help on this!

Thanks,
C2K13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump!

Anyone out there able to help?

There are not many Birkbeck students on TSR it seems, but still worth a shot me asking.

Thanks.
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London
Hi

I've had the test and if you can successfully do the exercises in the preparation booklet from Birkbeck then you'll be fine at the test. My advice is to make sure you practise writing code by hand because the test is on paper. It's quite different to writing code in an editor! It's a 30 minute test.

They do advise to rearrange if you haven't worked through the booklet, and I think this is good advice!

The test is the same for MSc Data Science or Computer Science and there will be people applying for both at your session, most likely.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by pyrosomida
Hi

I've had the test and if you can successfully do the exercises in the preparation booklet from Birkbeck then you'll be fine at the test. My advice is to make sure you practise writing code by hand because the test is on paper. It's quite different to writing code in an editor! It's a 30 minute test.

They do advise to rearrange if you haven't worked through the booklet, and I think this is good advice!

The test is the same for MSc Data Science or Computer Science and there will be people applying for both at your session, most likely.

Good luck!

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your input.

I have gone through the preparation booklet on a computer, so I will also have a go at doing it all again on paper.

How many questions did you have to answer on the test itself? And were they all in a similar format to the preparation booklet?

Did they make you an offer on the day, or did they just say they will be in touch with an answer?

Also, how was the interview itself? I've heard Birkbeck interviews for postgraduate courses are relatively laid back.

Apologies for the million questions, I'm just excited, yet nervous for the upcoming interview and test.

Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by C2K13
Hi there,

Thank you very much for your input.

I have gone through the preparation booklet on a computer, so I will also have a go at doing it all again on paper.

How many questions did you have to answer on the test itself? And were they all in a similar format to the preparation booklet?

Did they make you an offer on the day, or did they just say they will be in touch with an answer?

Also, how was the interview itself? I've heard Birkbeck interviews for postgraduate courses are relatively laid back.

Apologies for the million questions, I'm just excited, yet nervous for the upcoming interview and test.

Thanks!

Hi

There were three questions on the test, a combination of 'what does this piece of code do?' and writing a short program, very similar to the booklet. It wasn't too strenuous. There was just a lot of waiting around for the tests to be marked and then you get taken into a room one by one for the interview bit.

As for the interview, for me it was more of an opportunity to ask my questions. I think it's more of a debrief of the test for those that didn't pass than an interview, giving people their options of what steps to take next. If you pass the test then they offer you a place there and then.

It seemed to me that most people didn't prepare from the booklet and so were stumped by the test and didn't pass. They assumed they could 'wing it' I think..
With the preparation you've done you should sail through. Just be prepared for a long evening! I didn't get out of there til after 8pm!

I hope this helps.
Reply 5
Original post by pyrosomida
Hi

There were three questions on the test, a combination of 'what does this piece of code do?' and writing a short program, very similar to the booklet. It wasn't too strenuous. There was just a lot of waiting around for the tests to be marked and then you get taken into a room one by one for the interview bit.

As for the interview, for me it was more of an opportunity to ask my questions. I think it's more of a debrief of the test for those that didn't pass than an interview, giving people their options of what steps to take next. If you pass the test then they offer you a place there and then.

It seemed to me that most people didn't prepare from the booklet and so were stumped by the test and didn't pass. They assumed they could 'wing it' I think..
With the preparation you've done you should sail through. Just be prepared for a long evening! I didn't get out of there til after 8pm!

I hope this helps.

That helps a lot, thanks again for taking the time to provide some advice!
Hey,

I have my data science interview and test tomorrow at Birkbeck. Very nervous too!

Did you have yours yet?
Reply 7
Miss Fetch how was the interview and aptiitutde test could you please give a detail feedback with what was in teh test thankx or anyone else who had experience with the aptitude test held for msc in data science at birkbeck university
Reply 8
Hey guys - did any of you decide to go with the MSc at Birkbeck? Would be good to hear your thoughts as I'm thinking of applying this year!
Reply 9
Original post by akurth13
Hey guys - did any of you decide to go with the MSc at Birkbeck? Would be good to hear your thoughts as I'm thinking of applying this year!

Hey, I'm currently doing a MSc IT at Birkbeck - part time. I'm just finishing year one of the 2 year course.
It's been a bit of a mixed bag so far. Some modules are excellent and some are below what you'd expect for the money you pay.
The decision on whether you should do it depends on your motivation. If you just want to learn Python or SCRUM or any other specific module, then you can do that far cheaper through a dedicated course.
If you want to broaden your technical skills and network with lecturers and other students (many of whom work in the IT industry) then it's definitely worth the money and the effort.
I think for most of my fellow students having a MSc degree means better job prospects and new connections which can help land those jobs.

Not sure how helpful this is for you...
Reply 10
Hello! Can someone help with the questions on the work booklet that Birkbeck give us to work through before the interview? I am already stuck on the first question...'what is the program instruction for outputting a blank line'..... it hasn't told us anything like this in the theory above the question? and also, 'a program that reads in two words, one after the other, and then displays them in reverse order'??any help would be so appreciated!
Reply 11
Boop Boop!any one at all able to help?
Reply 12
Original post by na22
Boop Boop!any one at all able to help?

Hey, you will need to do some wider research online. The document they provide does not give you enough information. It's more of an intro. They say it's enough, but it is not. Codecademy.com is a good place to start.
I applied for both courses, but so far I have only been invited for a data science test/interview (I imagine that is because I work as a data analyst). My preferred course to study is computer science. Does anyone know how it works if you apply for both courses and what the test/interview process would be like instead?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Both courses have the same test/process. I recently had the test and there were applicants for both courses. We were told that it shouldnt be difficult to transfer from one course to the other provided its done within the first few weeks of the first semester as they diverge in terms of content rather quickly.
Great thanks. :smile: I had to e-mail to find out why they hadn't responded to my computer science application. They said the test/interview applies to both my applications.
Reply 16
Hi, could anyone help me with the personal statement for data science at birkbeck university. i recently failed doing medicine and i think data science is the next step for me.
Hi,

This thread is quite informative. I will be applying to Birkbeck University for MSc Data Science this year 2019. I would like some feedback about the curse content and employability. I am from a non-IT background and primarily interested in this course since it is a conversion course. Looking forward to some feedback. Thank you
They set a simple Python test to get onto the course, but passing this test really isn't much of an indication of whether you'll be able to manage the course itself. Don't be fooled by what they say about it being a "conversion course". It's an MSc in Data Science the same as anywhere else.

If you come from an Arts/social sciences background and do not already have a solid grounding in mathematics and programming (or anyway, you haven't spent several years as a hobbyist coder), it will be pretty much impossible to keep up. So if you did Mediaeval French or something at university, forget about it. For instance you'd need to be able to learn two programming languages alongside the mathematics of computing in the first term, and that's alongside holding down your full time job.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Hi all,I am having my test 27th February and I have gone through the whole Manuel completely. only find out harder end of the manuel the exercises on looping. Do not know how it will go through.Thanks for sharing all the information above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending