The Student Room Group

Could I still study psychology at university after doing three years of A-Levels

I have just finished doing my first year at sixth form and I am very disappointed with my grades to say the least. I probably didn't try as hard as I could but I know if I retake the year I will do a lot better. I was just wondering if I would still be accepted into a "good" university to study Psychology (not including Oxford and Cambridge) after spending 3 years doing A-Levels.

I am thinking about taking Psychology (a2) this year, retaking biology and possibly chemistry and maths but if not swapping one of those two (maths/chemistry) for history instead.

I am thinking about applying to Surrey, UCL, Manchester, Kings, Southampton (Maybe Liverpool, Queen Mary's, Sheffield). Do I still stand a chance at these uni's or am I setting my sights a little too high?

Help please from anyone experiencing this or has already been through it or is studying psychology at university at present!
Also sorry for dragging it on for soo long. I'm just really worried I messed up and can't pursue my dream :frown:
Reply 1
Hey amberee

I think the most important thing is that you are clearly passionate about studying psychology. If retaking the year is your only choice then be sure to make the most of it.
It is best to apply to a range of universities.. i.e. two "top" unis for you to realistically aim for- somewhere where it will be a challenge for you to be accepted but possible nonetheless, and 2 middle unis where the grades are more attainable and one back-up..
I don't think Kings teach undergrad psychology, whereas UCL usually take students with AAA/AAB

Manchester & Southampton are good universities & Surrey also has good reputation

You should also consider doing relevant (psychology related) work experience/ voluntary work/ extra curricular activities to really stand out from the crowd and to persuade admission officers to give you a chance

I wish you the best, work hard & you will be successful
Reply 2
^^ Yeah I think applying for 2 really good ones and then middle ones is the best way around it :smile: thanks soo much for the reply

anyone else? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest