The Student Room Group

A Level Options

Hi, I’m in Y11 and choosing my A-Level options right now.

I’m thinking of going down the medical route (not completely set on this, but it’s most likely) and I’m certain that I’m going to do Maths as I enjoy it.

I enjoy Biology and Chemistry too, which I know are needed for medicine, so I’m probably going to do those three, but was wondering if it’s worth doing a 4th A-Level? I’d probably choose between further maths (maybe AS-Level), psychology and computer science.

I think I’m just concerned about keeping my options open.

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi!
Having a fourth A level can be very stressful but it can also open up different career paths for you. If you have good time management and are not doing EPQ or Welsh Baccalaureate besides your three subjects, then you would have more time for a 4th A level. Since you mentioned that you are not set on the medical field, it can help to pick a 4th A level at least for the first year to see if you enjoy it but you can always drop it after first year if it's too difficult or you don't enjoy it.
More importantly look into other degrees you would be interested in doing at different universities on UCAS, as many of them don't always have specific a level requirements so even with your 3 a levels, you can probably get into non-medical related degrees that accept your a levels.
Hope this helps!
Original post by arlandrio
Hi, I’m in Y11 and choosing my A-Level options right now.

I’m thinking of going down the medical route (not completely set on this, but it’s most likely) and I’m certain that I’m going to do Maths as I enjoy it.

I enjoy Biology and Chemistry too, which I know are needed for medicine, so I’m probably going to do those three, but was wondering if it’s worth doing a 4th A-Level? I’d probably choose between further maths (maybe AS-Level), psychology and computer science.

I think I’m just concerned about keeping my options open.

Thanks

Hi @arlandrio,

If you believe that you are most likely to go down the medicine route then those three subjects are sufficient to do medicine at majority universities. A-Levels requires a lot of self-study, hence it can be very time consuming especially if you're trying to achieve those A* grades to get into medicine.

Instead of picking up a fourth subject you could consider doing volunteering in any social work fields, or with organisations and fundraisers that relate to the healthcare field. An alternative to volunteering is the opportunity to pick up healthcare related online courses that could help give you the qualifications and skills to enhance your value as a candidate to the university. You can mention all of these experiences in your personal statement during your university application process.

I think that using your extra time to do something productive could be very valuable as it adds dimension to you as a character and gives you loads to talk about in your personal statement. It gives you the chance to truly show your interest and passion towards the medical field. Ultimately, making you stand out amongst the other medicine applicants.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest