The Student Room Group

The Lone Traveller's Base / TSR Travel Society

Scroll to see replies

I am meant to be leaving to go travelling alone to India in two weeks, but now that it's come down to it, I am freaking out and don't know if I can do it! Anybody been travelling here before? I have contacts over there but I am convinced I am going to get there then immediately want to come back, I've heard so many horror stories about tourists in India.

Advice? :frown:
Original post by yasmin13595
I am meant to be leaving to go travelling alone to India in two weeks, but now that it's come down to it, I am freaking out and don't know if I can do it! Anybody been travelling here before? I have contacts over there but I am convinced I am going to get there then immediately want to come back, I've heard so many horror stories about tourists in India.

Having contacts there will be a major help. As long as you're always sensible you should be fine; nerves are normal, but don't let nerves stop what will be an amazing experience.
You'll find it great once you're there :h:
Hi everyone, I've been thinking about travelling alone a lot, since I'm currently on a gap year doing internships, and have spent a month this summer travelling Finland and the baltic countries with some friends.. got accustomed to a rather scroogey approach to my travel budget, and hitchhiking, camping anywhere & couchsurfing. However, I guess it's a totally different affair to do that alone, especially as a girl. Any advice?
Original post by yasmin13595

hey, I went to India alone this summer and I am fairly young, I had no contacts or much planned and had a great time!! before I went I was freaking out and so nervous but as soon as I got there and settled in, I felt fine, it was my first trip alone too!

ask me anything if you have questions:smile:
Reply 584
Travel in a small group sometimes, but done places on my own as well. Germany is an amazing place, took a working holiday over there for about 8 weeks on my own, superb. Anybody wants an advice, moreso around Europe, I will endeavour to help.
Reply 585
Hi I've booked to go to China, Hong Kong, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, Oz and nz starting in march and I'm so excited. I've been looking into the visas I need and I'm a bit confused mainly about one for Vietnam. Can anybody advise me where to apply for one/ when to apply and costs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 586
Just wondering, what age do you think is okay to travel alone for a few months in a different country/ continent?
Obviously it's different for each individual, but just interested on what a specific age would be.
I want to go after college when I'm 18 and I want to be able to speak to other backpackers that are roughly my age, so will there be many?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by elri
Just wondering, what age do you think is okay to travel alone for a few months in a different country/ continent?
Obviously it's different for each individual, but just interested on what a specific age would be.
I want to go after college when I'm 18 and I want to be able to speak to other backpackers that are roughly my age, so will there be many?

I first went travelling when I was 18 and there are so many people, all of different ages, cultures. I'd definitely recommend going and just speaking to everyone you meet, most of the time the oldest folk have the best stories to tell :smile: but there are places that cater to younger crowds, different hostels in different areas attract different people, the choice is endless :smile: where are you thinking of heading to?
Reply 588
Original post by redrose_ftw
I first went travelling when I was 18 and there are so many people, all of different ages, cultures. I'd definitely recommend going and just speaking to everyone you meet, most of the time the oldest folk have the best stories to tell :smile: but there are places that cater to younger crowds, different hostels in different areas attract different people, the choice is endless :smile: where are you thinking of heading to?

Thanks, well I've got at least a year before I go so I haven't made up my mind yet! I'm interested in Southern Asia though and Australia sounds great too.
Where have you traveled to?
Original post by elri
Thanks, well I've got at least a year before I go so I haven't made up my mind yet! I'm interested in Southern Asia though and Australia sounds great too.
Where have you traveled to?

Australia does sound cool, I've never been but that's on my list! I've been to Thailand and Venezuela and few places in Europe. Venezuela was amazing, I'd definitely recommend going, it has Angel falls and mount Roraima, where UP was based on :wink:
Original post by abobop
Hi I've booked to go to China, Hong Kong, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, Oz and nz starting in march and I'm so excited. I've been looking into the visas I need and I'm a bit confused mainly about one for Vietnam. Can anybody advise me where to apply for one/ when to apply and costs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Vietnam you need to go to the Vietnamese embassy in person or there are some companies online that you can use. You basically send all the documents and the paperwork they provide to them and they forward it to the embassy and send it back to you.
Reply 591
Original post by De Chirico
Vietnam you need to go to the Vietnamese embassy in person or there are some companies online that you can use. You basically send all the documents and the paperwork they provide to them and they forward it to the embassy and send it back to you.

Thanks for replying, is it easiest to do it through a company? Will I have to send off my passport?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 592
Original post by Legal_eagle2012
Hey! Just come out of a long term relationship, and don't really have any friends that I'd feel comfortable enough to go on holiday with/who don't already have their own plans etc so am thinking about going somewhere on my own for the first time. I was maybe thinking about a city break to Copenhagen for a few days as my Mum's got a cousin out there who I hope could at least point me in the right direction. Anyone been to Copenhagen and got any tips/advice to share? Much appreciated!

Actually looking into Denmark at present, myself. Flights are dirt cheap, can get a return flight from as little as £35; however, it is on a whole a very expensive place to live, food, drink, so on. Can be paying in excess of £8 a pint in places.
Original post by utr
Actually looking into Denmark at present, myself. Flights are dirt cheap, can get a return flight from as little as £35; however, it is on a whole a very expensive place to live, food, drink, so on. Can be paying in excess of £8 a pint in places.

Ooh, interesting. Where did you see that, and was that to Copenhagen itself or somewhere else in Denmark? When/where are you thinking of going? Hmm, shame to hear that food+drink are so expensive but I'll only be going for a few days so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Have you been to Copenhagen/Denmark before?
Reply 594
I was looking at traveling too but I have a small budget too :frown:

But I found this book which has been really helpful http://www.navciebooks.com/product.php?products_id=820
I've booked a gap year trip for Thailand but I'd really like to do Vietnam after, but I don't want to travel alone. I'm mostly worried about going out at night, and staying in hotels on my own. Will anyone else be going the end of February. I'm planning on going north to south in 3 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Copenhagen is a really nice city architecturally and is super friendly, like others have already said dirt cheap to fly there, but can be pricey, fortunately I have Danish friends who live out there and they showed me the cheaper places to go. Food wise I ate from the supermarket or McDonalds if I never ate with them to save money, drinking wise I found it quite cheap pre drank from the supermarket and some places you can get beers bigger than steins for as little as £3 pound, as per usual tourist Irish bars are ridiculously expensive but was guaranteed the football, LA bar was good at night can't remember the prices due to drinking ha but great club and atmosphere with locals, I'd advise 2-3 days as not as much to see as say Paris/Berlin, check out christiania too :smile:
Original post by AlisonWonderland
I've booked a gap year trip for Thailand but I'd really like to do Vietnam after, but I don't want to travel alone. I'm mostly worried about going out at night, and staying in hotels on my own. Will anyone else be going the end of February. I'm planning on going north to south in 3 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meeting someone online to go with wouldn't be much different to going alone.

My advice is that as long as you are sensible and careful (e.g. don't go out late alone), you will be fine travelling alone. Lock your hotel room door when you're in there and there won't be an issue.
It is unlikely that you'd be all by yourself completely, because people naturally meet and get talking when travelling. You'll meet different people at different stages of your travels, and that's a great part of the experience.

Of course it's your decision, I'm just trying to help with another option. I travelled alone in Thailand, and because I was sensible and careful I was fine, had a great time and met some great people who I still keep in contact with.
Original post by Jordanbarca
Copenhagen is a really nice city architecturally and is super friendly, like others have already said dirt cheap to fly there, but can be pricey, fortunately I have Danish friends who live out there and they showed me the cheaper places to go. Food wise I ate from the supermarket or McDonalds if I never ate with them to save money, drinking wise I found it quite cheap pre drank from the supermarket and some places you can get beers bigger than steins for as little as £3 pound, as per usual tourist Irish bars are ridiculously expensive but was guaranteed the football, LA bar was good at night can't remember the prices due to drinking ha but great club and atmosphere with locals, I'd advise 2-3 days as not as much to see as say Paris/Berlin, check out christiania too :smile:

Thanks for this! Really helpful. Can I ask whether you stayed with your friends, or hostel/hotel etc? Yeah, was thinking 3 days would be about right. Enough to hopefully get a flavour of the place, but not to get bored! Thanks for your help! :smile:
Original post by Legal_eagle2012
Thanks for this! Really helpful. Can I ask whether you stayed with your friends, or hostel/hotel etc? Yeah, was thinking 3 days would be about right. Enough to hopefully get a flavour of the place, but not to get bored! Thanks for your help! :smile:

I stayed 2 of the 5 nights at one of their apartments, the other 3 I stayed at the Generator hostel in the centre of the city, it has free walking tours and a really nice set up, I only took the metro to and from the airport the city is really accessible on foot, 3 days will be plenty fortunately I was with them so was always busy having fun :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest