The Student Room Group

should I travel solo on a gap year?

i’m in year 13 and have applied for unis, but am wondering whether i should just take a gap year and travel. Most of my friends are going to uni so i’m thinking of solo travelling (maybe central America with a volunteering programme or South East Asia) but i’m wondering as a female if this is safe and if i’ll feel lonely, or will be able to easily meet others
I love the idea of travelling but wondering if going solo will be fun - I don’t know of anyone else in my year going solo, most people are going with groups. Ofc the idea of travelling solo scares me but i think it would teach me a lot
if anyone has done solo travelling, particularly as an 18/19 yr old, I’d love to know how you found it :smile:
Original post by charlie075
i’m in year 13 and have applied for unis, but am wondering whether i should just take a gap year and travel. Most of my friends are going to uni so i’m thinking of solo travelling (maybe central America with a volunteering programme or South East Asia) but i’m wondering as a female if this is safe and if i’ll feel lonely, or will be able to easily meet others
I love the idea of travelling but wondering if going solo will be fun - I don’t know of anyone else in my year going solo, most people are going with groups. Ofc the idea of travelling solo scares me but i think it would teach me a lot
if anyone has done solo travelling, particularly as an 18/19 yr old, I’d love to know how you found it :smile:

Hi there :smile:

Gap years can be extremely fun and useful. The UCAS website lists some great ideas of things you can do during your gap year: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/gap-year/gap-years-ideas-and-things-think-about

In terms of travelling, I have had many friends who have solo travelled and they loved their time away. I would really recommend solo travelling with a tour group for example TruTravels. This is a great way to meet other solo travellers who are in a similar position to you. These tour groups can also make travelling on your own feel a lot less daunting as they do a lot of tricky planning and ensure that you are safe. There are lots of useful videos on youtube where solo travellers have documented their experiences so you can get a feel as to what the tours are like.

Hope this helps

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Don't worry you'd be fine in most places as long as you keep some caution.

It would teach you a lot, and that's good.
Reply 4

hey, I've recently completed my sixth form. I was wondering if you went on any solo trips

Quick Reply

Latest