The Student Room Group

I want to travel in vietnam and need advice ?

Reply 1
Then tell us what advice you need!
Original post by Jezebel Kaylin

Hi @Jezebel Kaylin

You can find advice on the Foreign Office website about Vietnam and sign up for email alerts on the Foreign Travel Advice pages.

We also have some student travel ambassadors, so feel free to expand on what type of advice you need and we can ask if any of them have been to Vietnam.

Thanks

Travel Advice team
Reply 3
Hey Jezebel!

I have travelled the whole of Vietnam and can tell you first hand its an incredible country, i visited as part of a longer trip thought Asia, and we travelled from the north to the south. I can only give advice on places i have been so im am sure there are more, and i did visit 5 years ago so whether everything is the exact same im not sure, but anyway:

From the North to South you can visit places such as:
- Ha Long bay - Beautiful rocky mountains amongst the sea (we booked a tour for this from Hanoi, it was 5 days and made everything easier as accommodation and boat transfer etc were all sorted in the package - i would recommend!)
- Sa pa - Another tour we booked from Hanoi, beautiful mountains where we got to experience what its like to live here, home-share included and lots of hiking through the rice fields.
- Hanoi - Beautiful city worth spending a few days, lots of historic spots worth visiting, also a great place to use as a base to visit places mentioned above.
- Trang An - Where King King was filmed! Awesome spot to visit, recommend getting a boat tour.
- Hue -> Hoi An - Famous bike tour, best on motorcycle, if you stay in hostels, you can rent and they take your bags for you.
- Hue - Visit abandoned water park, history tour showing sites from the war.
- Hoi An - Scenic narrow streets, very native, people get personalised suirs made here for great price!
- Da nang - Big city vibe, cool rooftop bars
- Nha Trang - Nice beach hostels
- Dalat - Great for canyoning on the river. Book a guide.
- Mui Ne - Fairy stream, sand dunes, hire quadbikes or just sand board!
- Ho Chi Mihn City - Visit tunnels, huge popular cit, swamped in history, deffo have a few days to explore.

Amazing place to travel, i did it with backpack and so stayed at hostels, they have sleeper buses so you can travel overnight and not waste your days or day buses if you prefer. Hostels are great place to visit people. Vietnam Backpacker Hostels were amazing! Great price and full of life for day and night! You can book travel very easily out there, either through the hostel or via local bus station (usually cheaper)

Make sure you check the local travel advice before you book anything, via the FCDO website. You will need to apply for a visa to enter the country which is easier to do before you get there instead of on the border.

Lots of info but i thought i may aswell share my experience!!

Have a great time in Vietnam!
thank you very much
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
The best time to visit Vietnam is during the dry season, typically from November to April. The weather is pleasant, and this is ideal for exploring the country.
Reply 6
Piers gave some great advice above! I loved south east Asia and Vietnam, be sure to visit Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, Nha Trang, Hoi Ann, Ha Long Bay, SaPa etc. There are tons of YouTube bloggers and online guides like the Lonely Planet which can help plan your trip, these Vietnam backpacking tips are helpful. Also I did a tour with Intrepid, you might want to consider a group trip if travelling solo, its more expensive but easier and a great way to meet others.
What time of the year? How many days do you have for your trip?
October/ November is not an ideal time for Central Vietnam (Danang/ Hoian, Hue…), typhoon and flood season.
Lonely Planet or Travelfish is a good site for you to do a bit research on which places in Vietnam appeal to you.

Quick Reply

Latest