The Student Room Group

The Lone Traveller's Base / TSR Travel Society

Scroll to see replies

Any tips for a South America aspirant? I want to take a year off after graduation and just loiter around SA and Portugal and Spain. LIve it, like, get the whole experience all good and proper. Tips, budgeting blah blah blah? Any experienced peeps here? I want to do a sort of hostel-hopping, shoestring budget backpacking expedition (well, me and a buddy of mine, but he's notorious for cold feet)
Original post by loopzooping
Any tips for a South America aspirant? I want to take a year off after graduation and just loiter around SA and Portugal and Spain. LIve it, like, get the whole experience all good and proper. Tips, budgeting blah blah blah? Any experienced peeps here? I want to do a sort of hostel-hopping, shoestring budget backpacking expedition (well, me and a buddy of mine, but he's notorious for cold feet)

Extremely good choice of destinations! ;-)

I went to Chile, Brazil, Bolivia and Peru (and over the border for a few hours each in Paraguay and Argentina) five years ago and right now I am drawing near to the end of a 14-month stint in Ecuador. There are tons of places I can recommend!

I've also been to three places in Portugal, all of which I really recommend. The capital, Lisbon, is one of my favourite cities in the world. I think it's wonderful.

Until now I've only ever passed through Madrid Airport and not been into Spain properly, but when I leave Ecuador at the end of this month I'll be spending a few days in Madrid, so will be able to report back on that. I aim to go on a day trip to Toledo while I'm there too. My sister has been to Seville and she's raved about it ever since... I've heard Granada is also a fabulous place to visit (along with Barcelona, of course).

Hostelbookers.com is your friend! It certainly has been mine ;-)
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
Extremely good choice of destinations! ;-)

I went to Chile, Brazil, Bolivia and Peru (and over the border for a few hours each in Paraguay and Argentina) five years ago and right now I am drawing near to the end of a 14-month stint in Ecuador. There are tons of places I can recommend!

I've also been to three places in Portugal, all of which I really recommend. The capital, Lisbon, is one of my favourite cities in the world. I think it's wonderful.

Until now I've only ever passed through Madrid Airport and not been into Spain properly, but when I leave Ecuador at the end of this month I'll be spending a few days in Madrid, so will be able to report back on that. I aim to go on a day trip to Toledo while I'm there too. My sister has been to Seville and she's raved about it ever since... I've heard Granada is also a fabulous place to visit (along with Barcelona, of course).

Hostelbookers.com is your friend! It certainly has been mine ;-)

Oh wow, finally someone with a few good words for Latin America. Whoever hears of my grand plan tries their level best to dissuade me, but you make it sound absolutely wonderful. I'll keep that bit about hostelbookers in mind. Is SA terribly expensive? And a year is not too long to spend hiking around, right?:colondollar: What all did you do?
ANd do post about Spain when you visit! :O
Oh wow, finally someone with a few good words for Latin America. Whoever hears of my grand plan tries their level best to dissuade me, but you make it sound absolutely wonderful. I'll keep that bit about hostelbookers in mind. Is SA terribly expensive? And a year is not too long to spend hiking around, right?:colondollar: What all did you do?
And do post about Spain when you visit! :O

A year is most certainly not too long to go travelling for! Latin America is absolutely amazing. Highlights of what I've done in Ecuador so far are in the blog in my signature, and I will be posting in that blog about Spain as well.

As for my other South American trip, I'll post the link of the blog I wrote at the time in a PM. That contains posts from Asia and Australasia as well, but feel free to ignore those and just skip to the South American posts.

As for expense, it depends on which countries you go to. Overall I'd say South America is cheaper than Europe. Brazil, Argentina and Chile are the most expensive, along with French Guiana. Brazil wasn't very expensive when I was there 5 years ago, but due to the World Cup atm and then the Olympics in 2016, I imagine it's much more expensive now. Ecuador is cheap apart from electronics (because they import them) and trips to the Galápagos Islands. Depends on what type of accommodation you go for - there are really expensive hotels around but also lots of cheap hostels. Bolivia and Peru, when I was there at least, were also cheap - Bolivia was the cheapest of all and Peru was second. Now I would add Ecuador to be joint second.
Booking a trip to my beloved south of France to celebrate my degree results :heart:
Still considering a trip to Russia. I must be bonkers. A collection of grey, gloomy cities where nobody smiles let alone speaks a word of English, over a palm-tree lined sunny beach and relaxed, friendly people speaking a language I can understand.

Original post by .Scout.
Booking a trip to my beloved south of France to celebrate my degree results :heart:

Hey, how was Budapest (you went there a little while back right)?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rockrunride
I've seen £60 return. So tempted.

:eek: unbelievable

if you have the money and time I would go for it. I'm in eastern europe (romania) at the minute and everyone (travellers) who's been has positive things to say about russia...
Original post by medbh4805
:eek: unbelievable

if you have the money and time I would go for it. I'm in eastern europe (romania) at the minute and everyone (travellers) who's been has positive things to say about russia...

I've got about £40 worth of Nectar points at the moment so could see myself going to Moscow and back for a score with Easyjet. Exciting prospect! Need to do some reading around it, namely things to see and do, history, Moscow's merits over St Petersburg, etc.

A friend of mine has just got back from an extended stay in Moscow so I will be sure to ask a few questions. As I work, I won't have much time, a week and a half at most, so I'll have to stick to one or two places.
Original post by James619
Though I was happy to travel to Argentina alone, the one thing I really sought after was the chance to get to know the culture outside of the standard hostel scene. For this reason I participated in a sporting opportunities program and can't recommend it higher enough. Amongst others it gave my parents the satisfaction of knowing I would be safe and taken care of, sorted out all accom and transport, got me a placement at a top futbol club something that surely helps the CV, and most importantly gave me the privilege of meeting and becoming good mates with some local Argentinian lads.

What was this organised through?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A year is most certainly not too long to go travelling for! Latin America is absolutely amazing. Highlights of what I've done in Ecuador so far are in the blog in my signature, and I will be posting in that blog about Spain as well.

As for my other South American trip, I'll post the link of the blog I wrote at the time in a PM. That contains posts from Asia and Australasia as well, but feel free to ignore those and just skip to the South American posts.

As for expense, it depends on which countries you go to. Overall I'd say South America is cheaper than Europe. Brazil, Argentina and Chile are the most expensive, along with French Guiana. Brazil wasn't very expensive when I was there 5 years ago, but due to the World Cup atm and then the Olympics in 2016, I imagine it's much more expensive now. Ecuador is cheap apart from electronics (because they import them) and trips to the Galápagos Islands. Depends on what type of accommodation you go for - there are really expensive hotels around but also lots of cheap hostels. Bolivia and Peru, when I was there at least, were also cheap - Bolivia was the cheapest of all and Peru was second. Now I would add Ecuador to be joint second.

I'm thinking of travelling alone to SA, are these countries as good as they sound?!
I'm planning to travel to africa with Absolute Afrcia from August/September for about 2 months, is anyone in the same boat as me.
Original post by smallguy
I'm thinking of travelling alone to SA, are these countries as good as they sound?!

I thought Chile, Brazil, Bolivia and Peru were amazing when I went 5 years ago - and I am in Ecuador right now (leaving on Tuesday after 14 months though) and I think it's amazing.
I thought Chile, Brazil, Bolivia and Peru were amazing when I went 5 years ago - and I am in Ecuador right now (leaving on Tuesday after 14 months though) and I think it's amazing.

Thank you, I am very much looking into going to some of those countries

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bolivia sounds like a dream. Cheap, warm ish, established backpacker network, really interesting culture and people and of course the Spanish language.

And do post about Spain when you visit! :O

Hi, just thought I'd let you know that I have now posted about Spain! I've been quite behind with the blog but I have now updated it until my arrival back in the UK at the start of August. Now I need to do some posts about places I've been to here in the UK over the past month, before I go to Bulgaria a week tomorrow!
Hi,
I am 26 years old and I want to do a 7-10 day travelling thing in the middle of October. Short notice I know. I am not sure where to start. I think that I want to go inter-railing. I don't really know where to start from in terms of organising to be honest. Can someone offer me some sort of tips. I don't really want to be a lone wolf and want to meet new people whilst I travel. I want to go to the eastern type of countries like Poland etc.

Would 300 pounds be enough money for 7-10 days?
When you get to a certain place how would I know where to go?
Is there too little time to organise something now given that I want to go this October?

I'm quite scared overall but really want to do this with my fortnight off. Help appreciated.
Original post by rubee_red
Hi,
I am 26 years old and I want to do a 7-10 day travelling thing in the middle of October. Short notice I know. I am not sure where to start. I think that I want to go inter-railing. I don't really know where to start from in terms of organising to be honest. Can someone offer me some sort of tips. I don't really want to be a lone wolf and want to meet new people whilst I travel. I want to go to the eastern type of countries like Poland etc.

Would 300 pounds be enough money for 7-10 days?
When you get to a certain place how would I know where to go?
Is there too little time to organise something now given that I want to go this October?

I'm quite scared overall but really want to do this with my fortnight off. Help appreciated.

Not too short notice. People book stuff days before they go!

The backpacker trail in the EU's former communist countries (Czech Rep, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria) is really well defined. There are lots of sociable hostels in all major cities and you'll almost definitely meet others.

£300 not inc travel would be more than enough in any of the above countries. Have a look at Wikitravel for local attractions, bars and stuff, and take your pick on recommendations and stuff that looks good.

Also, as you're not in any of the really dear countries (France, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Austria, Switzerland) it might be more economically sound to pay as you go on intercity public transport than getting an interrail ticket.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rockrunride
Bolivia sounds like a dream. Cheap, warm ish, established backpacker network, really interesting culture and people and of course the Spanish language.

Established backpacker network, yes, but you're lucky if the hostels have 24 hour running water (that's what I heard anyway - the closest I made it was Lake Titicaca. Tried to make it there but food poisoning struck :frown:)

Still, if you can deal with that (I mean, it's not that bad as long as you're prepared) then Bolivia sounds incredible. The salt flats are supposed to be breathtaking. I wish I could have gone!
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Established backpacker network, yes, but you're lucky if the hostels have 24 hour running water (that's what I heard anyway - the closest I made it was Lake Titicaca. Tried to make it there but food poisoning struck :frown:)

Still, if you can deal with that (I mean, it's not that bad as long as you're prepared) then Bolivia sounds incredible. The salt flats are supposed to be breathtaking. I wish I could have gone!

The salt flats in Bolivia are indeed breathtaking ;-) The volcanic area surrounding them, too. Geysers, hot springs, fantastic rock formations, desert, red/ green lakes with flamingoes...
Just got back from India, such a cool country, well it's more like many countries than just one. But now I think I need a holiday to recover :P

Quick Reply

Latest