The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath 2012 Applicants thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2080
Original post by Quadratic
You guys heard about Fermata for revising right? I tried to pass the info on but it's difficult not knowing any maths people this year. Sent the link to some comp scis and maths and they said they'd pass it on. It's pretty darn useful (though probably quite late).

I'm in first year of comp sci ATM (second year at the uni). If you have any questions about the course id be more than happy to answer them :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

What is Fermata?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by RebeccaLydia
Hey! Had a quick peak at your profile and Isaw you're doing Biology at bath - so do I :smile:! Don't panic because i am panicking more :tongue: especially about Biochem where there is no powerpoints for Tosh :/ but then again in general there is sooo much to memorise in everything ! have you came back to bath to revise? :smile:
xxx

Only just seen this! I'm super screwed for cell biology :frown: there's so much to learn!
I had a look and at least Tosh has notes online which will be okay.

Do you feel ready at all? How many modules are you confident on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by awayinmyhead
Only just seen this! I'm super screwed for cell biology :frown: there's so much to learn!
I had a look and at least Tosh has notes online which will be okay.

Do you feel ready at all? How many modules are you confident on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cell Biology is really difficult i think, but as the exam format is you pick 4 questions out of eight, I'm not revising Makoto's(mitosis guy) stuff because the way he presented it was way too difficult for me to grasp. like the amount of people attending his lectures pretty much halved after his first one :tongue:
Yeah, honestly wish he did handouts atleast tho :tongue:

I feel quite confident for Human and Animal Physiology in terms of passing, its quite alevel-like in some parts - chris todd is such a sweetheart too :tongue:
Everything else, especially bloody life of earth, is stressing me so much, the content is way too detailed.

Are you confident about other modules more? :smile:
Original post by croag
What is Fermata?

Fermata.co.uk

It's insanely useful, has everything you'll ever need maths wise inc most of the lecture notes. Not updated anymore though which is the only downside. (make sure you sign up with your bath username as the person who runs it checks your user in person finder btw, can have different pass though :smile:)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
haha I recently realised I was posting in the wrong thread, I thought this was for people who were applying this year! thought it was odd that most of the people were in their first year then I twigged
Original post by Quadratic
I'm in first year of comp sci ATM (second year at the uni). If you have any questions about the course id be more than happy to answer them :smile:
Hello fellow comp-scientist :biggrin:
I've actually got my offer now.. I was so sure I had screwed up the interview but I guess it was one of those low-pressure interviews that it's hard to fail.
Bath is academically the best uni I applied to, but I am actually thinking of not accepting it, so that's where my first question comes in:
Do you find the course very stressful? The open day made it seem quite intense, and I'm worried because I found further maths simply too hard last year, and had to downgrade to single this year. As someone who basically just couldn't handle four AS subjects, do you think I'd end up dropping out of the course at Bath?
Second question: I know this is possibly a bit far ahead if you're in your first year, but does one need to get some good summer work experience or internships lined up in order to get a good industrial placement?
Third: Has Dr. Watts stared into your soul?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2085
Original post by cleverslacker
I know this is possibly a bit far ahead if you're in your first year, but does one need to get some good summer work experience or internships lined up in order to get a good industrial placement?

No, you can have a proper holiday over the summer break and still have a fairly good chance of getting a reasonable placement - you won't avoid the deluge of job offers that way. A summer job somewhere helps for picking up the unhealthily competitive placements, obviously, but the gain isn't so great and most people didn't bother.

Source: 2nd year, occupied time over the last 2 summers doing internships.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by roblee
No, you can have a proper holiday over the summer break and still have a fairly good chance of getting a reasonable placement - you won't avoid the deluge of job offers that way. A summer job somewhere helps for picking up the unhealthily competitive placements, obviously, but the gain isn't so great and most people didn't bother.

Source: 2nd year, occupied time over the last 2 summers doing internships.

What about first year module marks? How much of an impact do they have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2087
Original post by awayinmyhead
What about first year module marks? How much of an impact do they have?

A fairly major one in selecting who to interview. Nobody cares aout your A-level results after school, so that's just about the only measure of academic ability available to them.

I think there are some materials on the TSR wiki about placement applications, it would probably be more fruitful to read them if you're fussed about it.
Reply 2088
Good luck to everyone who's exams start tomorrow! :biggrin: (and the other days too, but especially tomorrow :P)
Original post by croag
Good luck to everyone who's exams start tomorrow! :biggrin: (and the other days too, but especially tomorrow :P)

I may very well need it :tongue:

Especially Algebra. :cry:

Yeah, good luck to anyone with exams :smile:
Original post by Contrad!ction.
I may very well need it :tongue:

Especially Algebra. :cry:

Yeah, good luck to anyone with exams :smile:

Algebra just makes me want to kill myself. Also I like the analysis past exams but he said there will be more proofs involved this year :frown:
Reply 2091
I found 2012 exam pretty okay, but then 2011 and 2010 were harder... I'm really awful at proofs and I hope there's not -too- many hard ones. I think as long as I get the first two questions right that secures me at a pass if there isn't any grade switcheroos, so that's a consolation I guess. Although algebra and stats will be the death of me, twice.
Original post by kempykemp
Algebra just makes me want to kill myself. Also I like the analysis past exams but he said there will be more proofs involved this year :frown:

DAMN. I'd forgotten about that, I was kinda happy with my ratio tests and 'oh, this sequence increases and is bounded by induction so the completeness axiom says it converges. And look, here's a limit!!!' but not proofs.

And I haven't revised enough algebra because people kept on saying that analysis was supposed to be harder.
DAMN. I'd forgotten about that, I was kinda happy with my ratio tests and 'oh, this sequence increases and is bounded by induction so the completeness axiom says it converges. And look, here's a limit!!!' but not proofs.

And I haven't revised enough algebra because people kept on saying that analysis was supposed to be harder.

Sorry about that, I am just hoping it is a ploy to try and make us do more work. I can pretty much do the definitions and tests for convergence, that is it.

I myself have done barely any algebra, I am sort of just hoping for some nice questions, if not I am screwed
I meant to do the 2012 past paper but instead I trimmed my fringe :s-smilie:
Reply 2095
I meant to do the 2012 past paper but instead I trimmed my fringe :s-smilie:

Lmao, I have spent the day going to the post office three times and make about 4 cups of tea, it's gone beyond the point where I can revise, really. I'm sure you'll be okay! I find an hour is plenty to do the papers, so hopefully if you struggle on an optional question, try another one or just really try different methods, remember N=max(N1, N2) if you're dealing with two limits, and you can add 'zero' to use the triangle inequalities... I dunno
How did you guys find that exam? I thought it was pretty nasty.
Reply 2097
Same here, although it wasn't _too_ bad as in I think I've failed? Really wasn't very nice though :frown:
Hated it, there were bits of each optional question that I couldn't do. And I don't feel comfortable with Algebra.

I need 65% and no fails, got no idea how I'm gonna do it.
Reply 2099
.... how did you all find algebra?
:|

Quick Reply

Latest