The Student Room Group

University Applicants for 2013 Entry

I know this is really early, but I thought I'd make a thread for people going into their AS year to discuss their options post A-level, etc. What universities/courses are you considering at the moment? What A Levels are you taking/extra-curriculars/work experience are you doing to help you come application time? Or, has the tuition fee rise put you off going to university altogether, and if so, what are your plans instead?
A bit of info about myself: I'm starting AS on the 8th September, taking English Lit, History, French, English Lang and IB Ab Initio Spanish as an enrichment option. I'm hoping to study History and French at uni, hopefully Oxford, Durham, Warwick, St Andrews, or Edinburgh/Cardiff/York :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,I'm actually going into year 13 but I'm taking a gap year and am applying for Uni during my gap year :smile: Looking at doing History, most likely with joint honours. Not sure where I'm applying yet, not really looking at League tables (slightly worried about this, when it comes to getting jobs. Looked at Lancaster, Cardiff & Keele so far, must say I was pretty impressed with all three. Will probably also look at UEA, Dundee, Leicester, Aberdeen, St Andrews, and a few others which I know I'm forgetting.
Reply 2
Original post by tehmonkey
Hi,I'm actually going into year 13 but I'm taking a gap year and am applying for Uni during my gap year :smile: Looking at doing History, most likely with joint honours. Not sure where I'm applying yet, not really looking at League tables (slightly worried about this, when it comes to getting jobs. Looked at Lancaster, Cardiff & Keele so far, must say I was pretty impressed with all three. Will probably also look at UEA, Dundee, Leicester, Aberdeen, St Andrews, and a few others which I know I'm forgetting.

Gap year applicants are most welcome too! :smile: What are you thinking of doing joint honours with?
Reply 3
Start AS on 7 September and taking English literature and language, History, Law and Philosophy & Ethics...I hope to do English Literature & Language course at university. But to be honest I have no idea which university I want to go even though I've looked at so many...but I still have time.

Haven't sorted out any work experience yet...
Reply 4

Im guessing that you are doing A level History? If so, could tell me how the workload, exams and is it enjoyable?

I really love history and find it extremely interesting but sometimes that is not enough...
Reply 5
I'm about to start AS too :smile: I'm doing Maths, Economics, History and Chemistry (but dropping Chemistry at A2) to hopefully do an Economics degree.
I hopefully would like to either go to Oxford, Warwick, UCL, Nottingham and haven't picked the 5th one yet but it's too early at the moment haha!
Reply 6
Original post by Kimiechi
I know this is really early, but I thought I'd make a thread for people going into their AS year to discuss their options post A-level, etc. What universities/courses are you considering at the moment? What A Levels are you taking/extra-curriculars/work experience are you doing to help you come application time? Or, has the tuition fee rise put you off going to university altogether, and if so, what are your plans instead?

Hi :smile: I'm starting AS on the 12th of September. I'm going to be studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and hopefully I'll end up doing a Mathematics degree. I would love to go to Murray Edwards College, Cambridge, but I think I'll also be applying to Warwick, Birmingham, Cardiff and either Bath or Bristol.

I've already got everything I need to do planned out. I am going to be taking part in both the senior and senior team maths challenges and hopefully the BMO if I get in. I'm going to start volunteering for both a charity I benefit from (I'm unwell and they support me with my illness) and the local guide unit as a young leader. I'm also probably going to rejoin rangers. I hope over February half term and the week afterwards I'll be able to get some work experience in either finance or teaching, as I want to go into one of these eventually.

So yeah, I know I'm ambitious and probably a little crazy to have everything sorted already, but I know what I want and I'll do anything to get it :tongue:
Reply 7
the world end's 21st december 2012, upset for you guys, maybe you could just abt get an offer b4 the world ends. good luck
Wahey! MY first ever TSR post!

I'm starting my AS levels on the 5th Sepetmber and will be studying Theatre Studies, History, Politics and English Literature (drop at A2).
At the moment I'm thinking of studying either Law or Drama (really contrasting I know) at York/Cardiff/Manc/Warwick not sure which one I want to go to most!

After getting some average GCSE results hopefully I'll be able to actually work the next to years so I can get into a fab uni )
Reply 9
Starting AS on the 8th September, studying Japanese, Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I've got my eyes on Natural Sciences or maybe Biochemistry at Cambridge or Bath (Haven't researched much yet... should I have?)
Reply 10
Original post by Lauren_June
Wahey! MY first ever TSR post!

I'm starting my AS levels on the 5th Sepetmber and will be studying Theatre Studies, History, Politics and English Literature (drop at A2).
At the moment I'm thinking of studying either Law or Drama (really contrasting I know) at York/Cardiff/Manc/Warwick not sure which one I want to go to most!

After getting some average GCSE results hopefully I'll be able to actually work the next to years so I can get into a fab uni )

Welcome to tsr!:smile:, we have two subjects in common, history and politics:biggrin:

op, im taking history, politics, classics and french. Im starting my AS on the second week of september. Im thinking of reading law at Nottingham/York/Southampton/Durham/LSE depending on my AS results
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Yes/No
Im guessing that you are doing A level History? If so, could tell me how the workload, exams and is it enjoyable?

I really love history and find it extremely interesting but sometimes that is not enough...

Obviously it'll depend on exam boards, what sort of topics you enjoy and teachers. I personally found it very enjoyable, studying Britain 1906-1951 and the New Roman Empire (?), which was basically Mussolini and Fascist Italy. In parts it was very political, particularly with British history, however it is to be expected and even those who aren't that keen on politics still enjoyed the course :smile: I know a lot of people who took varying courses, across different exam boards and I get the impression on the whole they found it enjoyable.

Workload it really depends on your teacher and what you make of it, we mainly did essays and notes. I found a good technique with the essays, for me anyway, was not to straight away time them how it would be in the exam because the knowledge generally won't be their as you may need information from other areas you have not yet studied. However as the course goes on definitely start handwriting and timing, although on areas I wasn't so good I would give myself that bit longer and then at a later date time it correctly :smile:

Exams as far as I'm aware differ depending on the exam board, however I'm pretty sure all have some sort of source based questions. If you're on AQA just ask and I'll tell you how it works if not ask around someone on TSR will be on your exam board or just look at past papers :smile:

History was probably my favorite subject last year, obviously the teachers helped but I honestly believe even with teachers I hadn't liked I still would have really enjoyed it.
Reply 12
Original post by Kimiechi
Gap year applicants are most welcome too! :smile: What are you thinking of doing joint honours with?

Oh wow, where to start but most likely either Politics, International Relations or American Studies. One of the reasons I'm taking a gap year, just so much choice!

Original post by Folks
Starting AS on the 8th September, studying Japanese, Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I've got my eyes on Natural Sciences or maybe Biochemistry at Cambridge or Bath (Haven't researched much yet... should I have?)

Best thing is if you don't want to start researching properly yet is make sure you're doing the correct A-levels for what you want to study, like for Cambridge is their a specific College you want to go to because as far as I'm aware some will have different requirements. Also maybe start thinking about Work Experience sooner rather than later, if this is something you want to do, because if it's anything like my school it's take most the year to sort out!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
I'm planning on doing Dentistry (Foundation Year) at Cardiff. I'm hoping for the foundation year as I don't really want to do Biology at A level. I'm considering doing either Medical Physics, Accountancy, Aerodynamics or Computer System Engineering for back-ups.

Just to ask, is Geography recognised by Universities as a good qualification? I'm still stuck on choosing my last A level choice. I'm definitely doing Chemistry, Physics and Maths. It's either Geography or Cisco networking.
Reply 14
Obviously it'll depend on exam boards, what sort of topics you enjoy and teachers. I personally found it very enjoyable, studying Britain 1906-1951 and the New Roman Empire (?), which was basically Mussolini and Fascist Italy. In parts it was very political, particularly with British history, however it is to be expected and even those who aren't that keen on politics still enjoyed the course :smile: I know a lot of people who took varying courses, across different exam boards and I get the impression on the whole they found it enjoyable.

Workload it really depends on your teacher and what you make of it, we mainly did essays and notes. I found a good technique with the essays, for me anyway, was not to straight away time them how it would be in the exam because the knowledge generally won't be their as you may need information from other areas you have not yet studied. However as the course goes on definitely start handwriting and timing, although on areas I wasn't so good I would give myself that bit longer and then at a later date time it correctly :smile:

Exams as far as I'm aware differ depending on the exam board, however I'm pretty sure all have some sort of source based questions. If you're on AQA just ask and I'll tell you how it works if not ask around someone on TSR will be on your exam board or just look at past papers :smile:

History was probably my favorite subject last year, obviously the teachers helped but I honestly believe even with teachers I hadn't liked I still would have really enjoyed it.

Thank that really helps and yes I will be on AQA so tips would be wonderful...

For AS year I will be doing US History 1890-1945 and Civil Rights 1945-1968.
For A2 year I will be doing The British Empire in Africa, 1870-1970 and Britain 1918-1964...

My teacher told me to buy Prosperity, Depression & 'The New Deal' : The USA 1890-1854 by Peter Clements (4th edition)
Reply 15
Original post by Yes/No
Thank that really helps and yes I will be on AQA so tips would be wonderful...

For AS year I will be doing US History 1890-1945 and Civil Rights 1945-1968.
For A2 year I will be doing The British Empire in Africa, 1870-1970 and Britain 1918-1964...

My teacher told me to buy Prosperity, Depression & 'The New Deal' : The USA 1890-1854 by Peter Clements (4th edition)

So for AS I had two papers, I don't know which way round yours will be but:

1) One paper will be made up of two sections, the first section will be sourced based worth 36marks. Made up of a 12mark & 24mark question - you get no choice in regards to this. Part two is none source based and their are two questions you can choose from, both made up of a 12mark and 24mark essay. You can't mix and match, so say you chose the 12mark of question two you would also have to do the 24mark. Usually, but you never know with exam boards, the 12mark question leads up to the 24mark.

2) In the other paper it basically the same as section two but instead you get 3questions, each from different topics, then you choose to do three.

The papers themselves are worth the same, and if you discount reading time in the source based it ultimately works out at around a minute a mark with like 2minutes left.

A2 is 40% CW, 60% exam. You get a choice of three 45mark questions and you choose two of them. Once again it is a minute per mark.

Hope that helps in some way :smile:
Reply 16
So for AS I had two papers, I don't know which way round yours will be but:

1) One paper will be made up of two sections, the first section will be sourced based worth 36marks. Made up of a 12mark & 24mark question - you get no choice in regards to this. Part two is none source based and their are two questions you can choose from, both made up of a 12mark and 24mark essay. You can't mix and match, so say you chose the 12mark of question two you would also have to do the 24mark. Usually, but you never know with exam boards, the 12mark question leads up to the 24mark.

2) In the other paper it basically the same as section two but instead you get 3questions, each from different topics, then you choose to do three.

The papers themselves are worth the same, and if you discount reading time in the source based it ultimately works out at around a minute a mark with like 2minutes left.

A2 is 40% CW, 60% exam. You get a choice of three 45mark questions and you choose two of them. Once again it is a minute per mark.

Hope that helps in some way :smile:

Thank you so much, this does help. I did not know about the 40% coursework and though it was purely exams, but the coursework part is good.

Good luck with this year!! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Yes/No
Thank you so much, this does help. I did not know about the 40% coursework and though it was purely exams, but the coursework part is good.

Good luck with this year!! :smile:

Well it is for me, it may well be different at your school, not sure if it is optional or not. And no problem, gland to help, good luck as well :smile:
Reply 18
I'm starting my AS Levels on the 5th, taking Further Maths, Physics and chemistry. I have a rough idea of what universities I would like to study at in 2013, but whats worrying me is that there hasn't been any indication of how much it will cost by then.
Original post by jimjam951
I'm starting my AS Levels on the 5th, taking Further Maths, Physics and chemistry. I have a rough idea of what universities I would like to study at in 2013, but whats worrying me is that there hasn't been any indication of how much it will cost by then.

Probably will be similar to those going to uni Sept. 2012

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending