The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Studying at the OU at the age of 17.

Hi I wanted to know that seeing as many under 18s have gone onto uni and studied , Can I study with the OU at the age of 17. I am 17 and here is my situation:

I did terribly at AS level. Unfortunately , I cannot find a place to study my AS Levels due to my past GCSE results and the original college will not take me back to redo my AS Levels. I cannot find anywhere to take me to do Biology and Chemistry. As for sitting exams as a private candidate and self teaching: Not many schools in my area provide this service and it costs a lot of money at certain centres. Hundreds of pounds per exam.

I do not want to do the arts then take a Science Foundation year as I am already in effect a year back. ( too much time and money tbh)

I therefore want to know: Is it possible for me to study at the OU for a degree and get good grades and achieve a First etc......

When I finish , I hope to go into Graduate Medicine (sit a part time job whilst studying at the OU and sit the A Level exams in my last year of degree study as I am already covering advanced stuff)

or maybe study an MA or MSc in Finance or Invetsment Banking.

Thanks for your help
That's an unfortunate situation.

I am not sure what I can say but I'll bump this thread for you to shed some light :smile:

:bump:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
It's entirely possible, I'm also 17 and took my first Psychology module in may.

But now my circumstance has changed and I'm about to start college again in a few days to start my A levels, with your situation though I think it's just a matter of motivation, if you're reasonably intelligent and have fairly good organisation skills you can do it, I think it'd simply be a matter of not letting the workload get on top of you.

Now as for funding, that may be a problem. I had managed to get my courses paid for in relation to my circumstance at the time, though I'm not sure how that would work with you, the modules can be quite costly depending on the chosen degree, though if you're accepted you will be given a grant at the beginning to help with start up costs.

Anyway, simply contact the main office about it, the inital process is rather lengthy though as you are under 18, Good luck
Reply 3
Hey I'm also 17 and I'm about to start my first OU course in Nov

I just finished my first year of sixth form and although I got a's straight through the year I got ill in the last few months which meant I felt I needed to go a different route and the OU was my number 1 choice.

I plan to work towards a BA (hons) degree in Leadership and Management while I work part time. Therefore it is totally possible to get a degree at the ou and get good grades thats if you can juggle the workload and still work part time.

As for funding if you choose to do a degree at the ou like me the grants they offer can be really helpful Ive managed to secure about £1500 a year to help with the costs of my courses as the more credits you do a year the more grant money you are entitled to plus it is worked out on your income alone and not on your parents income that is if you're still living at home.

And if you still need to get your A levels after you've finished your degree you can do that when you have more money as this is what I plan to do.

I really think the OU is a good choice and I know it will defiantly save me money in the future! Good Luck
Reply 4
I'm applying for OU this year, i will be 17 when I go in for my first year. (If i end up there, fingers crossed).
Reply 5
Original post by This Honest
That's an unfortunate situation.

I am not sure what I can say but I'll bump this thread for you to shed some light :smile:

:bump:

I know it sucks. I found a good college yesterday but appaz I am not allowed to go as my dad says there are too many "gangsters" there. If those pussies in our country are entitled to that title nowadays. :erm:

:rofl:

So now I am going to do a degree instead. :biggrin:

Hopefully I can apply to Medical School as a grad after. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Ocassus
I'm applying for OU this year, i will be 17 when I go in for my first year. (If i end up there, fingers crossed).

Oh really? :beard: So you aren't doing A Levels or are you doing the YASS Scheme? :smile:

What subject are you doing?

Original post by kim_1701
Hey I'm also 17 and I'm about to start my first OU course in Nov

I just finished my first year of sixth form and although I got a's straight through the year I got ill in the last few months which meant I felt I needed to go a different route and the OU was my number 1 choice.

I plan to work towards a BA (hons) degree in Leadership and Management while I work part time. Therefore it is totally possible to get a degree at the ou and get good grades thats if you can juggle the workload and still work part time.

As for funding if you choose to do a degree at the ou like me the grants they offer can be really helpful Ive managed to secure about £1500 a year to help with the costs of my courses as the more credits you do a year the more grant money you are entitled to plus it is worked out on your income alone and not on your parents income that is if you're still living at home.

And if you still need to get your A levels after you've finished your degree you can do that when you have more money as this is what I plan to do.

I really think the OU is a good choice and I know it will defiantly save me money in the future! Good Luck

Hi Kim!

I want to do a BSc Natural Sciences (B46 I think :erm:)

That is unfortunate to hear. :penguinhug: I for one hope it all works out well for you though :h:

That is great! So what may you do with that degree? Work or Further Study?

I for one hope to apply for graduate medicine.

I know the funding package is world class and you can get an extra grant for materials, books and stuff!

With OU , you can access other university libraries with SCONUL. As I live in London , I will not be short of Uni Libraries to take advantage of raid :colone: :ninja:

:tongue:

What module are you starting with?

I for one am still looking for an A Level slot before I commit. So I may start OU in Jan 12 if College searching turns out a massivly epic fail. :erm:

But OU seems respectable :smile:

I will need A levels in Chemistry if my degree does not contain a suitable amoount of it. :smile:
Reply 7
You may find it beneficial to start with one of the Openings course rather than jumping straight into the main degree modules
Reply 8
hey im starting with b120 an intro to business studies at level 1 in nov and im then going to work my way through levels 1 to 3 and then hopefully after that I'm thinking about trying to get on to a graduate scheme in milton keynes where I live in one of the big companies in the centre of town plus being only 10 mins away from the OU library and main campus I might be able to do my masters or move more towards the research side of things.

I know its probably going to take me a couple of years to complete just like any other person who goes to a normal uni but I will also have skills from being in a work environment while i have learnt so i'm hoping that will help me in the long run!

I think u should defiantly check out all other options for doing your a levels first, I know I did do a lot of research on the OU and the other options I had if I wanted to go back and redo my as levels but I knew that for me and my situation the OU would suite my needs more than learning on someone else's schedule at this moment in time. Just don't rush into any course that you don't think is right for you!
Reply 9

hey im starting with b120 an intro to business studies at level 1 in nov and im then going to work my way through levels 1 to 3 and then hopefully after that I'm thinking about trying to get on to a graduate scheme in milton keynes where I live in one of the big companies in the centre of town plus being only 10 mins away from the OU library and main campus I might be able to do my masters or move more towards the research side of things.

I know its probably going to take me a couple of years to complete just like any other person who goes to a normal uni but I will also have skills from being in a work environment while i have learnt so i'm hoping that will help me in the long run!

I think u should defiantly check out all other options for doing your a levels first, I know I did do a lot of research on the OU and the other options I had if I wanted to go back and redo my as levels but I knew that for me and my situation the OU would suite my needs more than learning on someone else's schedule at this moment in time. Just don't rush into any course that you don't think is right for you!

hiya kim! i'm also planning on studying b120 with the open university in Nov!is it your 1st ou course?
Reply 10
Hehe!! :biggrin: The students in this thread will make those in the OU Young People thread feel old, nevermind the rest of us!!
Original post by Agent Smirnoff

Thanks for your help

Have a look at the Open University 2+2 scheme/Open plus scheme: http://www8.open.ac.uk/choose/openplus/ It basically involves completing two years of OU science courses and then two more years at an agreed 'destination' university (thereby completing your degree). Your place at your 'destination' university is guaranteed so long as you pass the specified OU courses in the given time frame and the degree is awarded by your 'destination' university as if you had completed the whole degree there. The universities involved in the programme include some very reputable institutions, such as Lancaster University, the University of Southampton and the University of York.

Thank me later :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Chucklefiend
Have a look at the Open University 2+2 scheme/Open plus scheme: http://www8.open.ac.uk/choose/openplus/ It basically involves completing two years of OU science courses and then two more years at an agreed 'destination' university (thereby completing your degree). Your place at your 'destination' university is guaranteed so long as you pass the specified OU courses in the given time frame and the degree is awarded by your 'destination' university as if you had completed the whole degree there. The universities involved in the programme include some very reputable institutions, such as Lancaster University, the University of Southampton and the University of York.

Thank me later :wink:

Oh sweet. :biggrin:

How do you get into this uni? By UCAS or some other way with

When people look at your transcript will it specifically say: Open university or even on your certificate etc.....

Looks great! If I can juggle study with my A Levels now :smile:

Thanks man :biggrin:

Can you apply for a student loan for the years at the Uni? :smile:
Oh sweet. :biggrin:

How do you get into this uni? By UCAS or some other way

No you don't apply through UCAS. If you click on the link I provided it has a further link to each university involved in the programme. Click on your preferred choice and it'll come up witht the contact details for the programme coordinator for that university. Just email them declaring your interest and ask for an application form. There are no entry requirements (accept possibly C grades or above in GCSE maths and english for some of the destination universities).

When people look at your transcript will it specifically say: Open university or even on your certificate etc.....

No. Degrees are awarded through your destination university and are indistinguishable from any other conventionally obtained degree from the instution in question.

Looks great! If I can juggle study with my A Levels now :smile:

Juggling with A levels will be a lot of work, but I think it's probably do-able.

Can you apply for a student loan for the years at the Uni? :smile:

The OU years are funded differently (if you are below a certain earning threshold OU courses are essentially free), but yes, you can apply for a student loan for the two subsequent years at your chosen destination university.

Thanks man :biggrin:

No worries. Good luck :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Chucklefiend
No you don't apply through UCAS. If you click on the link I provided it has a further link to each university involved in the programme. Click on your preferred choice and it'll come up witht the contact details for the programme coordinator for that university. Just email them declaring your interest and ask for an application form. There are no entry requirements (accept possibly C grades or above in GCSE maths and english for some of the destination universities).

No. Degrees are awarded through your destination university and are indistinguishable from any other conventionally obtained degree from the instution in question.

Juggling with A levels will be a lot of work, but I think it's probably do-able.

The OU years are funded differently (if you are below a certain earning threshold OU courses are essentially free), but yes, you can apply for a student loan for the two subsequent years at your chosen destination university.

No worries. Good luck :smile:

Ahhh I see. I took a look at it. It is good :biggrin:

Although I am not sure..... I may take it slow as I wish to go to Med School in 2013 but this is a possibility at least do two years now I suppose , as long as it won't botch up me funding :erm:
Reply 15
Original post by z41k
hiya kim! i'm also planning on studying b120 with the open university in Nov!is it your 1st ou course?

hey! yeah its my first course by any chance have you been sent your course materials yet cos i still haven't got mine?
Reply 16
hello agent i thought you were already with open uni. i think it should be fine, have you checked theyy offer the right course for you?
Reply 17
Hi,

I'm 17 and started with OU in Feb and I have just completed S104 exploring science and I'm working towards B64. I only have my GCSE's, 1 A Level and 1 AS level, both in languages. Not having A levels isn't a problem. Since I live at home with my parents and don't work, I don't have to pay any fees. This could be the same for you.

I study with the OU and go to college to learn BSL and AAT accounting. I say you should go for it!!
Reply 18
:wink:
hey! yeah its my first course by any chance have you been sent your course materials yet cos i still haven't got mine?

No i havent. I heard thy changed the dispatch date to 7th october because the didnt have ne of the books or something like that.

Quick Reply

Latest