The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Transferring from the OU

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or insight into transferring from the Open University and into a brick University as I left school without the traditional entry requirements.
By the end of this academic year I will have completed 120 credits with the OU (60 this year and 60 the previous year) and my grades have really picked up so I feel I would cope well with the academic requirements of university life.
I am only really looking for entry into the first year and the subjects I am interested in are Philosophy and Law.
The reasons I am considering leaving the OU are that I am concerned that an OU degree may not been seen as credible/may hinder my career and that I might be missing out on a better education.

Do you think 120 credit is enough?
OU is fine on reputation imo. I would say its more about Uni experience. Think you are going to have to do the spadework and contact Unis direct as to whether they will take you. the higher up the food chain you o the more difficult it will be,. Law is quite good because it is modularised, but they can be fussy as well. Make informal contact and then follow up with a more detailed enquiry and you will probably need your transcript.

Make sure you are clear in whether you want first or second year entry. Make sue the place you are going to is better.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by TheBlythanator
I was wondering if anyone had any experience or insight into transferring from the Open University and into a brick University as I left school without the traditional entry requirements.
By the end of this academic year I will have completed 120 credits with the OU (60 this year and 60 the previous year) and my grades have really picked up so I feel I would cope well with the academic requirements of university life.
I am only really looking for entry into the first year and the subjects I am interested in are Philosophy and Law.
The reasons I am considering leaving the OU are that I am concerned that an OU degree may not been seen as credible/may hinder my career and that I might be missing out on a better education.

Do you think 120 credit is enough?

The only issue you might run into, once you've chosen your university, is that, if you're relying on Student Finance to fund your new degree, you may struggle to get the full finding for your new course.

SFE may remove 2 years funding entitlement as you've spent two years, so be prepared to fund the first year yourself. This is written within their rules, but their application of this rule is patchy at best. I've been denied funding, after being granted it in the past, whilst others have been given funding with no further questions asked.

The OU is well respected, but if you aren't satisfied then looking for other options won't hurt.
@TheBlythanator: Yes, I was in your situation.

At the end level 1 of my business studies degree, I contacted a lot of red brick universities hoping to join second year on a semi-decent business course, using my 1 year at OU. However the majority of the red-bricks I contacted were at capacity, and they all told me that they still require the entry grades they set-out for all students (A-Levels).

Most universities are at capacity and turn away students. I even tried in clearing, and was unsuccessful at the universities I was interested in.

That said, my situation was slightly different to yours because I was looking for business courses. For Philosophy and Law, perhaps it is worth speaking to departments at any universities you like the look of. Find out if they have spaces in second year, and what they require in terms of students transferring. Worth a shot. If it's prestige you want though, you'll probably have to look at international universities.

The only other possible way-in, which wasn't an option for me is .. Have a look at whether the university courses you are interested in accept 'Access' or 'certificates of higher education'. I read somewhere that many universities accept these in their entry requirements. 1 year of OU study at degree level counts as a certificate of higher learning (or maybe Access, i can't remember exactly). It might be possible to get the certificate, and enrol into a red brick university (The only draw-back is you'll be at level 1 again, BUT you'll be on a course at a red-brick.

I still believe studying at red-brick is more beneficial for learning, but after months of hard work on this, I decided to stick to OU because it suits my life style. THEN I'll probably seek to do an MA / MBA from a red-brick in the future.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm currently studying for a Certificate of Higher Education in Psychology with Open University. I've just been given a conditional offer to study Social Work at Nottingham Trent on the basis I complete my functional skills in Maths. By April I'll have also completed 120 credits however I found a lot of uni's would only be willing to accept me to start from first year as I'd be going on to a difference course.

Most universities will say you absolutely need English and Maths at GCSE C or above to study with them, a lot of uni's now accept equivalents such as level 2 functional skills, Learndirect offer free government funded Maths & English functional skills courses for people aged over 19.

I'd watch out for Student Finance however, I managed to get two 60-credit modules funded in one academic year's worth of funding so have been told as long as I achieve my Certificate, Student Finance would be happy to fund a full 3 year degree. I believe Student Finance will fund for 4 years of higher education. As long as you only had to apply for Student Finance once during your time at OU, you should be fine! Student Finance have told me something different every time I've spoke to them though, so whatever they say I take with a pinch of salt now, haha.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by rachieroo_
I'm currently studying for a Certificate of Higher Education in Psychology with Open University. I've just been given a conditional offer to study Social Work at Nottingham Trent on the basis I complete my functional skills in Maths. By April I'll have also completed 120 credits however I found a lot of uni's would only be willing to accept me to start from first year as I'd be going on to a difference course.

Most universities will say you absolutely need English and Maths at GCSE C or above to study with them, a lot of uni's now accept equivalents such as level 2 functional skills, Learndirect offer free government funded Maths & English functional skills courses for people aged over 19.

I'd watch out for Student Finance however, I managed to get two 60-credit modules funded in one academic year's worth of funding so have been told as long as I achieve my Certificate, Student Finance would be happy to fund a full 3 year degree. I believe Student Finance will fund for 4 years of higher education. As long as you only had to apply for Student Finance once during your time at OU, you should be fine! Student Finance have told me something different every time I've spoke to them though, so whatever they say I take with a pinch of salt now, haha.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Good morning,

I know I’m late to the party here but I’m in a similar situation, at the OU about to sit my second year exams which will be 240 credits completed. Will I be able to transfer to a brick uni for the start of second year. I have no A-Levels and have been studying at a rate of 120 credits a year.

Quick Reply

Latest