The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

I cant choose a college!!! Agghhhhh!!!!!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 3981
Original post by BeccaCath94
I cant choose a college!!! Agghhhhh!!!!!

What do you want to know to help with the choice?
Original post by Tathrim
What do you want to know to help with the choice?

Ermm well i've kind of narrowed it down by saying i want to have superior ensuite accomodation but then they're all so different each with their good and bad points.....

Which college are you in?
Not Cartmel or Lonsdale.
Reply 3984
Ermm well i've kind of narrowed it down by saying i want to have superior ensuite accomodation but then they're all so different each with their good and bad points.....

Which college are you in?

Pendle.

If I'm honest, apart from in Fresher's week, it's not as separate as people think, there's no jibing other colleges much past Fresher's, everyone gets on with who they want to. My main circle of friends is one that I gained from societies and my course (Computer Science). Whilst I have some good friends in Pendle, I don't see them that frequently, or I see them as a member of a society with a common interest. The college system is fantastic for the introductions for Fresher's Week, but, beyond that, all it really affects is where you live. So choose somewhere you liked the look of, taking into account distances to the department, for instance (unless you are a Comp Sci student - I made that mistake, my lectures are mostly in County). :biggrin:
Original post by RabbitCFH
Not Cartmel or Lonsdale.

Oh ok. Whys that?
What college are you in?

Original post by Tathrim
Pendle.

If I'm honest, apart from in Fresher's week, it's not as separate as people think, there's no jibing other colleges much past Fresher's, everyone gets on with who they want to. My main circle of friends is one that I gained from societies and my course (Computer Science). Whilst I have some good friends in Pendle, I don't see them that frequently, or I see them as a member of a society with a common interest. The college system is fantastic for the introductions for Fresher's Week, but, beyond that, all it really affects is where you live. So choose somewhere you liked the look of, taking into account distances to the department, for instance (unless you are a Comp Sci student - I made that mistake, my lectures are mostly in County). :biggrin:

Ahhh thanks for the heads up. :smile:
I was looking at one of the colleges in the 'bit that isnt the main campus'....i'm guessing its not far though still.
Oh ok. Whys that?
What college are you in?

I'm in Cartmel, third year, and I wish i'd applied somewhere else (preferably Fylde). Cartmel and Lonsdale are just too far away from the centre of the campus, and Cartmel is pretty boring. And expensive.
Reply 3987
Oh ok. Whys that?
What college are you in?

Ahhh thanks for the heads up. :smile:
I was looking at one of the colleges in the 'bit that isnt the main campus'....i'm guessing its not far though still.

As RabbitCFH has mentioned, life may be slightly easier with a central college (Fylde, Fruness and Bowland).
Reply 3988
Unless you're well sorted for money, I'd recommend applying for a college which has both ensuite, and normal accommodation - so that if you fancy coming back on campus in your final year, when the overdraft is all stretched out, you can still afford it. :smile:
I'm in Cartmel, third year, and I wish i'd applied somewhere else (preferably Fylde). Cartmel and Lonsdale are just too far away from the centre of the campus, and Cartmel is pretty boring. And expensive.

Oh i see. Thanks for the heads up.... :smile: How far would you say it is from one of the colleges not in the centre of campus to the middle?

Original post by Tathrim
As RabbitCFH has mentioned, life may be slightly easier with a central college (Fylde, Fruness and Bowland).

I'll have a look then thanks :smile:

Original post by `Chris
Unless you're well sorted for money, I'd recommend applying for a college which has both ensuite, and normal accommodation - so that if you fancy coming back on campus in your final year, when the overdraft is all stretched out, you can still afford it. :smile:

Ahhh thats a good idea! Cheers! I could always go back into another college couldn't i though....but i see what you mean :smile:
Oh i see. Thanks for the heads up.... :smile: How far would you say it is from one of the colleges not in the centre of campus to the middle?

It's at least 10 minutes from Cartmel and Lonsdale to Alexandra Square and Bowland and about 15 minutes to County. :smile:
Reply 3991

Ahhh thats a good idea! Cheers! I could always go back into another college couldn't i though....but i see what you mean :smile:

Nope. Once you pick your college, that's what you've got. (They'll let you change in exceptional circumstances, but I don't think wanting cheaper, on-campus accommodation would count as that!)
It's at least 10 minutes from Cartmel and Lonsdale to Alexandra Square and Bowland and about 15 minutes to County. :smile:

Ohh.. So not too close but then again does that mean its a bit quieter on a night or is it never that rowdy on campus anyway?
I think my departments are more central so... :/

Original post by `Chris
Nope. Once you pick your college, that's what you've got. (They'll let you change in exceptional circumstances, but I don't think wanting cheaper, on-campus accommodation would count as that!)

Oh thanks for the heads up!! I'll bear that in mind :smile:
Ohh.. So not too close but then again does that mean its a bit quieter on a night or is it never that rowdy on campus anyway?

It's never that rowdy outside of freshers.

Yeah I think it's quieter here than in some other areas on campus. I have a friend in the old Furness and apparently you get lots of drunken people being noisy there at night. But still, if I had a choice, I wouldn't have applied to Cartmel again, I would've gone somewhere more central, e.g. Fylde. It's not only lectures but also if you have friends in other colleges you'll find it annoying when you have to walk 10-15 mins to go and meet them cause you live in stupid Cartmel. :tongue:
Original post by cambo211
It's never that rowdy outside of freshers.

Oh ok :smile:

Yeah I think it's quieter here than in some other areas on campus. I have a friend in the old Furness and apparently you get lots of drunken people being noisy there at night. But still, if I had a choice, I wouldn't have applied to Cartmel again, I would've gone somewhere more central, e.g. Fylde. It's not only lectures but also if you have friends in other colleges you'll find it annoying when you have to walk 10-15 mins to go and meet them cause you live in stupid Cartmel. :tongue:

Yeah thats true i guess and nearer the amenities...
I'll bear it all in mind :smile:
Has anyone been to a Lancaster post applicant open day or know if they are worth going to if I have already been to an open day last summer?
Has anyone been to a Lancaster post applicant open day or know if they are worth going to if I have already been to an open day last summer?

I went to one. I found it quite useful for helping me decide if Lancaster was for me. Plus, being a department open day, I was invited to having a little group meeting with a lecturer from the department, who was able to answer some of our questions and give us a good idea of expectations/demands of the course etc. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
I went to one. I found it quite useful for helping me decide if Lancaster was for me. Plus, being a department open day, I was invited to having a little group meeting with a lecturer from the department, who was able to answer some of our questions and give us a good idea of expectations/demands of the course etc. :smile:

Ahh i seee. I've been to the open day already where there was a maths talk but i see what you mean about why they are useful. I'll have a think :smile:
My Post-application open day made my mind up about Lancaster being my first choice. I thought it really helped get a feel for the department as a whole, and I was able to concentrate a lot more on different aspects of the campus I hadn't seen because I was so excited about being at my second University open day ever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending