The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster vs york maths

I have received offers for maths at both Lancaster (AAB) and York (ABB) and am struggling to decide which to firm. Any advice on which university is a better option.
Original post by Anonymous
I have received offers for maths at both Lancaster (AAB) and York (ABB) and am struggling to decide which to firm. Any advice on which university is a better option.

You have until June to decide so take your time (we see lots of students on TSR every year who decide early and then regret their choices). Your most important consideration is the course. Compare modules and optional modules for all years of the course to see which suits your interests the most. Attend offer-holder days, chat to staff and students, look at accommodation options and costs for all three years, and see what societies, social and sporting facilities there are. Try and make a decision and then live with that for a while before you update UCAS. :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Having visited both unis with my eldest, I can see why you are struggling to pick between the two. Its not easy because they are on a par with each other. She studies physics, but was in some of the maths modules in first year, matrices, vectors, that kind of stuff. And she loved it. As time has gone on, shes now a 4th year and the class sizes got smaller as they drilled down into what modules she wanted to do. I cant really sway you as such because its your decision, but what I can tell you is that Lancaster for a parent felt very safe being where it was. It was well lit, security was always around and she could walk back from the library at night back to Grizedale college and felt safe at 1am. That being said, York is the bigger city. But then Lancaster has morecambe seafront lol.
100% do your homework on the unis and modules and cities before making a decision. If you do decide, sleep on it, and if you still feel happy in that decision for a while you know its the right one.
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi there,

I am a 4th year integrated masters student in Mathematics & Statistics at Lancaster University. Both of the universities are good options in my opinion. Some of the things I personally thought about when I made my choice though were:

Do I like the campus and could I spend a lot of time on it? (Can think about how safe it feels, what facilities there are, is there lots of study and relaxing spaces)

What parts of maths are my favourite and least favourite? How does this line up with the course content?

What kind of support is there? (Financial support and mental health support such as deadline extensions were big ones for me)

How easy will it be for my friends and family to visit? (I knew I would get homesick if they rarely visited, especially first year)

What am I able to do in my free time? (Societies, nightlife, surrounding places/ cities)

I found that Lancaster had the best answers to all these questions for me personally. There is offer holder events you can attend as well if you want some more in person experience. Or feel free to ask me any questions that you have about the university or the course.

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) 🙂
Reply 4
When I applied last year, York was a bit higher than Lancaster on the maths rankings, so that’s why I chose York for my insurance instead of Lancaster. It’s up to you though, that might be a pointless reason for you.
Hi,

Congrats on your offers! They are both great places to study, so I can see why it's a tricky choice. I studied a different course, but if you have any questions about student life at York, feel free to drop me a message. We also have some blog posts written by current Maths students at York which might help to give you more of an insight into what it's like to study here 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending