Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
floss
you moving into town now then lucy?? managed to convince your friends??

Not exactly. I'm living with different people.

JoeFen
What area is that? I'm still looking for a house, not good with exams coming up. How come you decided to do town in third year and not second year and then stay on campus for third?

It's on South Road, the main road into town. It's on the corner though. It's really nice. I wanted to live in a house last year, but my flatmates didn't and I had no one else to live with.

I have hated it on campus this year. SW is so isolated. Plus next year it will be £83 a week compared to the £50 plus bills my house will cost.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 581
LubyLoo
Not exactly. I'm living with different people.

It's on South Road, the main road into town. It's on the corner though. It's really nice. I wanted to live in a house last year, but my flatmates didn't and I had no one else to live with.

I have hated it on campus this year. SW is so isolated. Plus next year it will be £83 a week compared to the £50 plus bills my house will cost.

By the hospital? I was lucky in sorting a house in 2nd year with people who wanted to get out of camps too, plus with my Grizedale being knocked down etc it just made sense. Can't believe the prices you pay in Lonsdale or around campus for that matter, complete rip off. So sad that the uni had to get rid of the main Grizedale block, so many students from familes that can't afford big time prices and for what, your own toilet and shower :confused:

So many advantages in a house though, no porters fussin bout, your own living room, not being woken up by people who have gone out when you decide to stay in, a kitchen that you can leave untidy without cleaners telling you to tidy it or else. Bus passes are a rip off though, all about sporting a bike to and from uni and doing gun salutes to local scallys as you drive past them near Hala, dirty scumbags.
Sorry if this has been asked, but its a damn long thread! Could anyone please give me a description of the facilities in each college or in any colleges they have knowledge about? Just things like which ones have TV rooms, what style the bar is, what the socials are like, how popular the bars are etc etch.

Thanks!!:biggrin:
Reply 583
Okay so i'll start at the top of campus and work down..
COUNTY - recently refurbished bar with a screen that they put the football etc.. on. they have a separate room that i presume is classed as their JCR too. but it's a big college. they have the biggest range of accomodation too from some brand new en-suite to standard. oh and there's a cafe in the bar too.
BOWLAND - small bar, quite smokey but that will change as of july hopefully. they also have a big screen which they kept on for the ashes which was good. they also have a cafe in their jcr. bowland has old en-suite, no new stuff as yet. has standard too.
FURNESS - only college not to have a big screen but still pulls the people in. has a good mix of accomodation too.
FYLDE - only college to have preplus so has the most footie on. the bar and jcr are having a revamp over the summer so we're looking forward to that. we don't have much accomodation at the mo, just our six brand new en-suite blocks. we have a coffee shop which isn't attached to the jcr.
GRIZEDALE - their bar / jcr is like a labrynth, i find new bits everytime i go in! currently living in lonsdale/cartmel's accom whilst they get the planning eprmission for their new stuff. their big screen is upstairs
PENDLE - have a tv room, plenty of pool tables and one of the bigger sized bars on campus but it's a big college. their en-suite accom is on SW and standard (known as the ghetto) is the best en-suite accom we have on campus.
LONSDALE - probably the most popular bar on campus. big screen and supposedly a separate tv room too (lucy will set this straight for you) all en-suite accom.
CARTMEL - nice restaurant, quiet and often looked over bar, big jcr too. all en-suite accom too.
GRAD - well i only know about the bar because it's for post-grads but it seems alright. like a pub though.. you feel rude being rowdy.

hope that helps xx
Reply 584
that makes it hard!
i was thinking of putting fylde...i liked the new accomodation and a friend who went to lancs was in fylde so i heard alot about it lol
do we get summat to help us choose with the accom pack?
x
Thanks floss, very helpful!

I was already thinkin of putting Lonsdale as my first choice goin by what people have been saying on here. I was thinking of putting Fylde as my second, but I'm not into sports at all so I don't know if I could stand being in the bar with loads of rowdy sports fans.

Couple more questions; What's with the stigma attached to Pendle? Do you think Lonsdale will have filled up yet, cos I haven't even recieved my form? Oh and also is it worth caring about whether you get one of your preferred choices or will you just have an awesome time wherever you're allocated (even Cartmel)? Do Cartmel and Pendle students take pride in their colleges?
I TAKE PRIDE IN MY CARTMEL!! We're geeks and proud of it.
Reply 587
emmathe37th
I TAKE PRIDE IN MY CARTMEL!! We're geeks and proud of it.

yay you do maths =D
and my mates sister is in cartmel and she seems to like it
x
i was in Cartmel and had a good time for it. Only options for accomodation imo is en suite/standard and main campus/south west

The Pendle stigma is nothing - dont lose any sleep over it.
Reply 589
Yes you will have an awesome time even if you are put in Cartmel. We love it! There is plenty to do for those who want a social life (my flatmates are never in), but it's quiet enough for those (like me) who like to be quiet.
Reply 590
Stigma, well lets just say we've been told that Pendle girls have STD's.......do dah do dah..........:biggrin:
When Flossy comes back on she'll tell you that you don't have to be sporty to be in Fylde and that her 2 male flatmates are lazy and do nothing and they don't get shouted at :biggrin:
Reply 591
Fylde? Sporty? I have 2 friends there and their idea of exercise is walking to the fridge for another can of lager!
Lizj
Fylde? Sporty? I have 2 friends there and their idea of exercise is walking to the fridge for another can of lager!

but my friend that is exercise!
Reply 593
there are a lot of sporty people in fylde but there are equally as many people who haven't played sport since secondary school. the only reason fylde was thought to be the sporty college except for the fact they win the carter shield lots is that they are the closest college to the sports centre.
i think colleges are chosen more for their accommodation now rather than their reputation.
and lonsdale is always over subscribed. if lancaster is your first choice and you want en-suite, you'll get it. just maybe you won't get the college you wanted. my flat mate chose lonsdale and cartmel and got fylde. two of my flat mates next year did the same and got here.
you will be happy wherever you are. and if you really can't stand it.. you can swap if they have a room for you.. or just move off campus in your 2nd year.
Reply 594
Fylde sounds pretty safe tbh, I'm not two fussed which one I end up in as long as it is either Fylde of Furness...........socalists though :s-smilie:
floss
there are a lot of sporty people in fylde but there are equally as many people who haven't played sport since secondary school. the only reason fylde was thought to be the sporty college except for the fact they win the carter shield lots is that they are the closest college to the sports centre.
i think colleges are chosen more for their accommodation now rather than their reputation.
and lonsdale is always over subscribed. if lancaster is your first choice and you want en-suite, you'll get it. just maybe you won't get the college you wanted. my flat mate chose lonsdale and cartmel and got fylde. two of my flat mates next year did the same and got here.
you will be happy wherever you are. and if you really can't stand it.. you can swap if they have a room for you.. or just move off campus in your 2nd year.

Yeh I'm not too fussed about ensuite (rather be standard TBH) but the colleges I want to go to only do ensuite, so I'll just go 4 that. Saying that, I defo don't want to have to share a kitchen with like 20 ppl, so I suppose ensuite is the best bet. I AM going by reputation of the college as most of the ensuites look pretty similar. I'd like a new one, but I'm not too fussed about creature comforts so getting placed in a lively college is the most important thing to me.
Reply 596
All these "cartmel is quiet & **** comments" are only half true.

The bar is dead, the JCR are rubbish & too cliquey for their own good. But it's what you make it, exactly the same rooms as Lonsdale (& new Fydle / Furness) sure you're further from the main campus but we have our own bus stops so no walking to the underpass.

It's definatly not boring in my flat / floor!
Do they normally send the accommo forms out at around the same time (May/ June), cos loads of ppl said they haven't got theirs yet? I've only just accepted a place so don't expect to recieve mine yet, but if loads have ppl have sent theirs back already I'm gonna lose out. I accepted Reading first, but changed my mind to Lancaster, but I know that Reading send the forms out as soon as ppl accept (some around January). As far as I'm aware Lancs send them around the same time but I'm not sure. NEbody know?
Reply 598
I'm sure I didn't fill mine out till June..! I know people who sent theres back as soon as they got them & still didn't get there first choice so don't worry! It will be a bit hit and miss where you end up next year - basically if you want ensuite you'll get it, if you don't you'll get standard in whatever college it is available!
Reply 599
i sent mine back the day i got it and i didn't get my first choice but i'm more than happy with fylde!! you get priority accom as a firm choicer too.
i think the forms come soon but you'll all get them at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending