Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Annikka
Hello,

does anyone know anything about the flats (for couples) in Bowland Main? Are they any good? Where exactly are they located?

Thanks!

I know there are family flats located on the roof of bowland main
the top floor on this pic, with the white walls http://www.answers.com/topic/bowland-jpg-1

I've never been up there though so i don't know what they're like either inside or outside. I know they're big enough to have kids in there too though, so they may not even be the one's you're looking for. Can't think of anywhere else it could be though.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 781
Hi Dan,

and thanks. I think those flats might the ones I was talking about. D Flat would mean the top floor or roof top? How's the overall condition of Bowland Main? Is it noisy/quiet?
Annikka
Hi Dan,

and thanks. I think those flats might the ones I was talking about. D Flat would mean the top floor or roof top? How's the overall condition of Bowland Main? Is it noisy/quiet?

Yeah, the top floor is D floor. I've been in Bowland Main for my second year (that photo actually shows my corridor on C floor :smile: ) and i'm going in Bowland MAin again for my third year. No-where on campus is going to be totally quiet, but this place isn't near any roads or taxi stops so it's about as quiet as you're going to get without being in south-west campus. Some people say it looks a bit scruffy on the outside, and i agree it's not brand new or modern looking, but it's absolutely fine and it's in good condition considering it's the original university accomodation and it's been there since the uni began.

Bowland's a good college too, right in the middle of campus close to the shops and laundrettes and library.

I might be a bit biased, but I've already spent two years in Bowland and i've lived in Bowland Main for a year, and i'd say the accomodation and atmosphere is great, the porters and staff are very friendly, and we're the best college :biggrin:
I lived in Bowland main the year just gone and it is an awesome place to the live. It really depends what your corridor is like on whether it is going to be quiet or not, but after the porters come round it gets quiet.
Also, been up to the top of Bowland main at the end of last term and the outside has a few weeds and some of the paving stones in the narrow areas are a bit loose. Other that that it is all good and the view is awesome especially of Alexandra square!
Reply 784
what is the easiest (and cheap, lol I don't want to take a taxi) way to get from Manchester airport to uni?
I'm taking the train from Manchester airport to Lancaster, then bus or taxi to the school. The train ticket costs £14.80. I read somewhere that there's going to be a shuttle bus going from the train station to the uni every half hour from sometime in the morning to 6pm on both move-in days.

I found the timetable for trains going from Manchester to Lancaster at NationalRail and was wondering if I have to purchase the tickets in advance or if it's possible to just buy them at the train station?
elevatorlove
I'm taking the train from Manchester airport to Lancaster, then bus or taxi to the school. The train ticket costs £14.80. I read somewhere that there's going to be a shuttle bus going from the train station to the uni every half hour from sometime in the morning to 6pm on both move-in days.

I found the timetable for trains going from Manchester to Lancaster at NationalRail and was wondering if I have to purchase the tickets in advance or if it's possible to just buy them at the train station?

Yes you can buy them at the station, or on the train itself. Buses to the uni are every half hour, when you exit the station, the bus stop is just to your left.
Reply 787
how much is the bus?
voopeem
how much is the bus?

£1.20 single, £1.90 return
Reply 789
I would try and book them now tina as they may get more expensive/harder to come by, because it'll be a stressful enough day as it is let alone not being able to get there, I'd do it just for piece of mind so you know you have them.
Reply 790
I've heard there is a direct bus from Manchester airport to Lancs uni... does anyone know anything about it?
hey guys, does the maintanence loan come in one payment at the start of the academic year or does it come in installments at the start of each term?

also whilst im here, what sort of utensils did you all take up to lancaster, i.e pots and pans, plates cutlery, glasses mugs etc.

cheers!
Reply 792
The two W's Lee, whisk and wok, come on you should know that!
Reply 793
Soul Rebel
hey guys, does the maintanence loan come in one payment at the start of the academic year or does it come in installments at the start of each term?

cheers!

Three installments at the start of each term.
voopeem
I've heard there is a direct bus from Manchester airport to Lancs uni... does anyone know anything about it?

Hi Voopeem, I found the following on the Lancaster website:

National Express operates a service from Terminal 1 at Manchester Airport to Lancaster, stopping at the university (make sure you tell the driver that you want to leave the coach at the University). The cost of this journey is approximately £7.00.

For information on departure times, visit http://www.nationalexpress.co.uk/.

I’ll probably travel by coach myself, my parents don’t own a car and I generally prefer coach travel over rail travel. Plus, seeing as I don’t own a student rail card yet (until I buy one) it’ll work out cheaper.
Reply 795
thanks, but I've already found a simplier way :smile: there actually is a coach from Manchester Airport straigh to uni, costs £15.00..
if anyone's interested, you can visit the uni's on-line store, the tickets can be bought here:
http://www.ecommercegateway.co.uk/lancs/store/shop/products.asp?func=prodvar&compid=3&deptid=35&prodtypeid=12&prodid=69
There's also some info and a form u need to complete on:
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/depts/studentsupport/international/download/Travelling%20to%20Lancaster%2007-08.pdf
Reply 796
Im just starting my final year of college and im thinking about doing english language and psychology combined. I went to the open days but unfortunately i could make it to the life at lancaster talks. To me lancaster looked like an immense uni. I am really into my house music and as well as a good uni im looking for good clubbing. Can anyone tell me what lancasters nightlife is like?

Thanks
Carrying on from the subject of the maintenance loan payments, as my three rent costs start off expensive for the first term, then get slightly cheaper as we go through the second and third, do the loan payments vary accordingly? As in, a larger lump sum to begin with, to reflect the varying costs of the rent?
Reply 798
cubesinajar
Carrying on from the subject of the maintenance loan payments, as my three rent costs start off expensive for the first term, then get slightly cheaper as we go through the second and third, do the loan payments vary accordingly? As in, a larger lump sum to begin with, to reflect the varying costs of the rent?

My loan payments have never varied. Ended up going overdrawn in the first term, but having some extra money to spend in the third term.
Reply 799
cubesinajar

I found exactly the same as Lucy. Weirdly enough you get the biggest chunk of your loan at the beginning of the third term when the smallest amount of money for your accommodation is due.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending