The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

is the silverfish thing a big problem? cuz im from india and we hvent heard of them lol and its kinda freaking me out.

btw im in pendle en-suite.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1381
maverick191
is the silverfish thing a big problem? cuz im from india and we hvent heard of them lol and its kinda freaking me out.

btw im in pendle en-suite.

Silverfish? No, they aren't a big problem. You just get them in wet places, sometimes in the shower but mainly under the kitchen sink.
They are small, totally harmless, and they move quite slowly. You just squash them with a tissue and make sure you wash any pots they might have been on.
is it essential to bring an oven tray? I mean they'll be 8 oven trays lying about the kitchen if everyone had the same idea...
also, sry if this has been asked before... a desk chair and a little bin are provided right? thx
ForestLaw
is it essential to bring an oven tray? I mean they'll be 8 oven trays lying about the kitchen if everyone had the same idea...
also, sry if this has been asked before... a desk chair and a little bin are provided right? thx

Not really but people in your kitchen might get a bit annoyed if you're using their stuff when they need it - especially if you don't wash up after yourself!

Yup, they're both provided
Reply 1384
how much of all this do we need to know

most people just turn up on the day first week and play it by ear

couldnt you go without knowing every single detail?
Stefan1991

people do things differently. A lot of people are really excited and want to know everything, where asother just ant to be incredibly organized. Others dont have enough money to play it by ear and need to plan everything out! Im a mixture of all three....
ponpon14
people do things differently. A lot of people are really excited and want to know everything, where asother just ant to be incredibly organized. Others dont have enough money to play it by ear and need to plan everything out! Im a mixture of all three....

As am I :smile:

Stefan1991, people are moreso asking about what is required for their accommodation etc., which I think is an important thing to know, because you could end up dragging all of these things up with you, and might not need them, and likewise you could come unprepared, and I doubt you'd be a popular housemate if you constantly used other people's things all the time :rolleyes:
Untitled1
As am I :smile:

Stefan1991, people are moreso asking about what is required for their accommodation etc., which I think is an important thing to know, because you could end up dragging all of these things up with you, and might not need them, and likewise you could come unprepared, and I doubt you'd be a popular housemate if you constantly used other people's things all the time :rolleyes:

Definitely! i know people will annoy me if they keep using my things! I dont care if they ask and it gets put back CLEAN in the same place, but if they dont aks i get annoyed... its kinda rude. Thats one thing im gonna struggle with at uni. People taking my stuff without asking! Im just scared people are gonna steal my food, as people on here say they do it a lot! I have hardly any money all year, barely enough to get by, so if people steal some of my food i will actually have to go without that which may mean going without dinner :frown:.
Couple of questions

1) Does anyone know where i can get a bus timetable for uni and what bus number i need to get too sainsburys?

2) In the grizedale townhouses are the bathrooms locked, as you only share between 1 other person, so do only 2 people have the key just to access that bathroom?
Reply 1389
I don't know, some of the questions sound a bit neurotic
in-depth questions about which type of kettle to bring
what colour desk lamp should i bring
what shoes to wear on the first day
ponpon14, I very rarely had any proper food stolen. Just bits of butter or whatever. I think the worst was pizzas from people coming in drunk + hungry lol
I had some flatmates though who would just constantly use my stuff + not clean it :mad: rather annoying!

chris4414
Couple of questions

1) Does anyone know where i can get a bus timetable for uni and what bus number i need to get too sainsburys?

2) In the grizedale townhouses are the bathrooms locked, as you only share between 1 other person, so do only 2 people have the key just to access that bathroom?

1) tbh I doubt you'd need one, buses are constantly there + they all go into the city centre from the underpass. To sainsburys, there's the free ones on Wednesdays that go directly there + are about every hour - I think they just say sainsburys on the number bit. Or any other bus (apart from the X1) would go to the bus station, which is near sainsburys anyway

2) They don't lock from outside but obviously have a lock on the inside. People would generally just use their own bathroom though as I'd presume they'd leave all their stuff in there seeing as it's likely it won't be in use
Reply 1391
Stefan1991

Deffo man. To be honest, first week you're not going to need to do much, most of it is just a piss-up. All you really have to do is choose what minors you want to do (I just chose two when I went with other people to see what was on offer), go register your email thing so you can get on the internet from your room and sort your finance stuff out.

Apart from that, there's not much really. Just bring some bedding, your PC, some booze and whatever else you use on a regular basis and you should be set, then just do what you want.

I never had much problem with people nicking my food. My mate would nick some bread when he ran out and the spar was closed or use my butter or whatever, ain't no thing though and he'd usually just buy us a loaf of bread or something the next day, which weren't really needed but whatever.
is it easy to travel from lancaster to preston and how long does it take?
areusureaboutthat

I'm not yet a student, but I have looked into travel...

It certainly looks easy enough. It's just a train from Lancaster to Preston. It apparently takes 15 minutes each way to get there, and without a railcard, costs £7.10. With a railcard, it costs £4.70. That is for off-peak day return :smile:
areusureaboutthat

Very easy! Bus into Lancaster - if you get the X1 it will take you straight to the station otherwise it is a short walk up to the station from the shops. Then there are trains to Preston on a regular basis taking around 15/20 minutes. Prices around £5 return with a railcard. :smile:
Reply 1395
Even easier to just get the service bus (number 40) from the uni gates straight down the A6. Runs once an hour, takes just under an hour, costs less than the train and no need to go into Lancaster city centre.
I am working in Preston now, getting back to visit uni should be so easy!
Ooh, that sounds good Lizj :smile: I get queasy on buses though haha!

I have a question, regarding Jobs. I got my LUSU Number today, and went on the JobShop. There were a few jobs that interested me, and they have flexible hours.

You can register at a couple to get updates etc. about jobs available, but you need your in-term address. I know that my Lancaster address will be Furness College etc. but I wanted to know, or check more importantly, that it would be ok to input my address now, since I'm not going there until the 27th?
Untitled1
Ooh, that sounds good Lizj :smile: I get queasy on buses though haha!

I have a question, regarding Jobs. I got my LUSU Number today, and went on the JobShop. There were a few jobs that interested me, and they have flexible hours.

You can register at a couple to get updates etc. about jobs available, but you need your in-term address. I know that my Lancaster address will be Furness College etc. but I wanted to know, or check more importantly, that it would be ok to input my address now, since I'm not going there until the 27th?

For your termtime address you can just put "Furness College, Lancaster Uni, Lancaster, LA1 4YG". :smile:

I don't know what they send by post though - I am registered and just get updates by email so it probably won't matter if you have the uni address listed now. :smile:
affinity89
For your termtime address you can just put "Furness College, Lancaster Uni, Lancaster, LA1 4YG". :smile:

I don't know what they send by post though - I am registered and just get updates by email so it probably won't matter if you have the uni address listed now. :smile:

Great thank you :smile:

I think I'll sign up now then. They only ask for 1 hour a week at one, and then 9 hours at another, but I think that's only if you accept the job, so I'm pretty certain it should be ok with my timetable and things...or I hope! :o:
Is there anywhere that does piercings about in Lancaster?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending