The Student Room Group

Self teaching AS politics?

Hi, is it realistic to self teach AS politics in one year whilst doing 3 A levels and achieving at least a B? A levels are History, Economics and Business, which i don't feel are too time consuming. I have to convince the teachers to let me do this as well.
Reply 1
It looks easy enough.
Having sat it at AS level, I'd say it is self teachable.
Original post by TheArsenal
Hi, is it realistic to self teach AS politics in one year whilst doing 3 A levels and achieving at least a B? A levels are History, Economics and Business, which i don't feel are too time consuming. I have to convince the teachers to let me do this as well.

Hi, I'm doing this alongside my GCSE's and I'm in year 10. So I think you'll be fine, I on the other hand am expecting myself to get around about a D come the exams next year:redface:
Reply 4
Hi,

Don't want to hijack the thread but I'm trying to do this on AQA. I've found a centre that will let me sit the exam but how do I actually find / buy the course materials so I can actually teach myself the course? And also, is there any coursework I need to have started to be handing in any time! :s

Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply 5
I did Edexcel A level. I wouldn't recommend self-teaching it. It's quite difficult (for me anyway), and I listened in lessons, did all the work etc. and had a D at A level. I'd say only do it if you're passionate. I have As in everything else too, and a D in politics :s-smilie:
AS is self teachable, yeah. A2 you probably could but I wouldn't because you may need help understanding some of the concepts etc, but AS go for it because it's basically complete regurgitation. Just make sure you have the essay technique sorted out.
Reply 7
what exam board are you? AS politics is self teachable. i re-sat my as and basically had to re-teach myself everything, whilst taking history biology and politics a2 its definitely possible, i got an A* in politics so it just depends how hard you're willing to work.
Reply 8
I found it was just a case of remembering a list of points for AS, the main reason I got a C before I retook being because I struggled to remember them all, however the questions (especially in Unit 1) were relatively straight forward. So yes if you got a good textbook- for Edexcel I'd reccomend the Heywood one, then it should be straightforward enough
Reply 9
Original post by itneverends
Hi,

Don't want to hijack the thread but I'm trying to do this on AQA. I've found a centre that will let me sit the exam but how do I actually find / buy the course materials so I can actually teach myself the course? And also, is there any coursework I need to have started to be handing in any time! :s

Any help would be much appreciated!

There's no coursework for AQA. You do two exams and answer 3 questions on two topics on each one. The AQA AS textbook is probably a good place to start as well for course materials, you can get it on amazon for about £15.
Reply 10
It's a lot about technique so lessons would probably be useful. You also need a lot of up to date evidence but as long as your prepared to put the time in you could do it but unless you work really hard a B might be a bit optimistic because it is a lot harder than it looks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending