The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MPP: Oxford, Harvard, Princeton, or…?

Hi all, first post with a new account after years and years of inactivity.

Having worked as a teacher after graduating from The Other Place with a First in History in 2017, I’m looking increasingly at a Master’s in Public Policy or Public Administration to further my academic and professional interest in Politics and policy. Alongside teaching, I’m a local councillor and a union rep at my current workplace - experience that naturally leads me to want to learn more about effective policy-making and the skills and experience to grow as as a leader. By the time my term ends, I’ll have had 4 years as a councillor and 9 as a teacher (including as head of department and other school-based leadership roles). It’s a hugely fulfilling role but often it’s clear that macro policy is the only way to meaningfully change things for the better.

In short, I’m now itching for a career change to align with my interests but feel an important precursor to taking such a step would be postgraduate study on a rigorous course. Important both for competence and self-confidence.

Making a decision on this also rests on choosing the right place and right course. The Oxford MPP at the Blavatnik School of Government appeals as it wouldn’t necessitate a move abroad. However, such a course at Harvard and Princeton are attractive due to generous financial offers (Princeton postgrads are free!) and reputation.

Any advice on how to differentiate between the courses and universities would be helpful - especially from anyone with direct experience of any of them. I’d be immensely grateful for thoughts on the finances of an Oxford postgrad degree, such as how widely accessible the Clarendon Scholarship is and the competitiveness of Nuffield (who I’ve heard underwrite all fees/expenses).
Reply 1
The American programs are much stronger and have a better reputation. Oxford generally does not take public policy or the Blavatnik too seriously I’m afraid (neither the business school too). Harvard and Princeton, Yale and Columbia, America is much better suited. Programs are older and better developed.

Nuffield indeed funds all students but they take only a few students a year and so the odds aren’t in anyone’s favour.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Masaryk
Hi all, first post with a new account after years and years of inactivity.

Having worked as a teacher after graduating from The Other Place with a First in History in 2017, I’m looking increasingly at a Master’s in Public Policy or Public Administration to further my academic and professional interest in Politics and policy. Alongside teaching, I’m a local councillor and a union rep at my current workplace - experience that naturally leads me to want to learn more about effective policy-making and the skills and experience to grow as as a leader. By the time my term ends, I’ll have had 4 years as a councillor and 9 as a teacher (including as head of department and other school-based leadership roles). It’s a hugely fulfilling role but often it’s clear that macro policy is the only way to meaningfully change things for the better.

In short, I’m now itching for a career change to align with my interests but feel an important precursor to taking such a step would be postgraduate study on a rigorous course. Important both for competence and self-confidence.

Making a decision on this also rests on choosing the right place and right course. The Oxford MPP at the Blavatnik School of Government appeals as it wouldn’t necessitate a move abroad. However, such a course at Harvard and Princeton are attractive due to generous financial offers (Princeton postgrads are free!) and reputation.

Any advice on how to differentiate between the courses and universities would be helpful - especially from anyone with direct experience of any of them. I’d be immensely grateful for thoughts on the finances of an Oxford postgrad degree, such as how widely accessible the Clarendon Scholarship is and the competitiveness of Nuffield (who I’ve heard underwrite all fees/expenses).

You need to apply to them all. There's no point comparing until you hold multiple offers and have a choice to make.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending