The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Khan_79
What do you think of euality in The Royal family, Why Her Majesty Elizabeth became queen. Is it any different now. If Prince William would have an elder sister would there be a King or Queen.

Equality before the law is a cornerstone of our society. Matters of monarchical succession are trifling in comparison.
Reply 41
Original post by teadrinker
Yes, it would be their right to follow a democratic path to introducing Sharia. But as Muslims constitute about only 5% of the population, they are very unlikely to win democratic support for such a proposal.

We can not have each 'community' implementing its own set of laws, as society will become even more divided than it already is. The institutions of one law for all, and equality under the law are one of the cornerstones of our society, and attempts to undermine that are, I believe, dangerous.

well said :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Fusilero
Would you argue for the end of Jewish Courts as well then? I personally would. :holmes:

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I'd have to look into it more, but in principle, yes I would. As I said earlier, we can't have each community creating their own laws to live by, it will divide our already divided nation even deeper.
If theyre in the uk I don't see why they can't just abide by our rules

Rather than start negging me quote me with your argument
Reply 44
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
He could at least learn how to say 'Shariah' properly if he's going to harp on about it so much.

I am using the BBC standard spelling which I think is fair enough. Like many words of a foreign origin, particularly those transliterated from other alphabets, there are several variations of spelling. Naruz for example can be narooz, nowruz, nouruz, etc...

So basically, what I'm saying is, **** off you pedant bitch.

thanks
Reply 45
As long as my Harry Potter legal system get equal standing then they can have what ever that crazy crap **** legal system they want.

I propose the following:

Muggles and Pure bloods have equal rights in the case of divorce.

Murder being punishable by a large points deduction from your house.

And civil disputes resolved either by wizard chess or quiddich.

Makes more sense than the local Imman cutting out eyes and forcing women into servitude.
Yes, it would be their right to follow a democratic path to introducing Sharia. But as Muslims constitute about only 5% of the population, they are very unlikely to win democratic support for such a proposal.

We can not have each 'community' implementing its own set of laws, as society will become even more divided than it already is. The institutions of one law for all, and equality under the law are one of the cornerstones of our society, and attempts to undermine that are, I believe, dangerous.

It doesn't really matter if they're unlikely to win democratic support. This doesn't stop smaller parties/groups in taking the democratic path.

Sharia law (as it stands in islamic civil courts doesn't really need approval through the democratic process). It would only perhaps do so, if these courts affected non-muslims and muslims alike who don't attend sharia courts. It is only a matter for those who decide to settle their civil disputes in sharia courts.

Indeed, we cannot have each "community" implementing its own set of laws. But each community are entitled to settle their civil disputes through their own setup (if it doesn't contradict british laws). We have the jewish community doing as such, muslims are doing as such and other "communities" may be doing as such. If a group has issues with such practice, it is down to them to present a case with hard evidence and present it to the relevant authorities...
So you saw a guy on youtube who believed it should be implemented in the UK and thought, 'Hmm. All followers of Islam must agree with this.'
Original post by OdinsThunder
Wrong.

Brown people are not British.

99% of Muslims are brownies.

Therefore it is not the religion of many British folk.

Er think you'll find i'm brown and British actually.

Original post by eggnchips
As long as my Harry Potter legal system get equal standing then they can have what ever that crazy crap **** legal system they want.

I propose the following:

Muggles and Pure bloods have equal rights in the case of divorce.

Murder being punishable by a large points deduction from your house.

And civil disputes resolved either by wizard chess or quiddich.

Makes more sense than the local Imman cutting out eyes and forcing women into servitude.

Ah wanted to pos- rep you but I'm all out for today!!

I like that legal system.
Reply 49
Original post by Sicherlich.
Most people in Britain don't know anything about Sharia and immediately think of public beheadings and stonings when they hear that word. In reality, Islamic Penal Law or punishments only make up a small part of what Muslims call Sharia. This thread shows again how many misconceptions Britsh people have on this issue. Some of the mentioned stuff in this thread is completely made up, for example that a Muslim woman doesn't have the right to get a divorce in an abusive marriage. Other things are taken out of context, for instance the issue that the daughter only inherits half of that of the son. What's never mentioned is that the son however must use his inheritance to support the family, including his sisters, while they have absolutely no support obligations whatsoever and can keep the money. I'm sure 99% of those who try to use these laws to demonize Islam don't even know that.

Even if the son who receives twice the amount of the daugheter is obliged to 'support' his sister - this still oozes misogyny.

The two points you put forward are really not much of a reassurance for me.
Original post by Nick1sHere
If theyre in the uk I don't see why they can't just abide by our rules
Rather than start negging me quote me with your argument

but what if they believe these rules are theirs but its doesn't work for them or their immediate community. They are within their rights to seek change through the democratic process, no?
Reply 51
Original post by MonkeyMan2009
Its not about surrendering a legacy, Its about british folk deciding on how they want to live their lives and using the democratic process to achieve those aims. Pn both sides of the argument, people should be doing this.

at the end of the day, if muslims want to settle thier civil disputes in an "islamic court", then its up to them. Its not down to john smith to tell them how to deal with their personal matters.

I don't mind sharia courts, as long as it doesn't affect our criminal cases/laws....

If a british muslim feels she hasn't got her right share of inheritance etc, it is up to her to take it to the british legal courts (don't know what good that will do)...

So you think they have the right to decide whether a person should lose their hand? what authority do they have to decide that! NONE!
Even if the son who receives twice the amount of the daugheter is obliged to 'support' his sister - this still oozes misogyny.

The two points you put forward are really not much of a reassurance for me.

it doesn't matter. It is a civil matter/ dispute. It is down to the individuals to decide who gets what. Is there a british law which says that property must be divided in such a way between children, or is it down to those dividing it?
but what if they believe these rules are theirs but its doesn't work for them or their immediate community. They are within their rights to seek change through the democratic process, no?

No!!!! As an immigrant I find this attitude disgusting.
Reply 54
it doesn't matter. It is a civil matter/ dispute. It is down to the individuals to decide who gets what. Is there a british law which says that property must be divided in such a way between children, or is it down to those dividing it?

Yes actually, if someone dies intestate the daughter(s) gets the same share as the son(s).
Original post by Ventura7
So you think they have the right to decide whether a person should lose their hand? what authority do they have to decide that! NONE!

stop being such a dailymail drama queen ..... sharia courts as it stands covers civil disputes... anything beyond this will contradict british laws and punishments if handed out, will be a criminal offence (assault etc..)
Original post by Teknik
Yes actually, if someone dies intestate the daughter(s) gets the same share as the son(s).

is this if a will hasn't be left?
Reply 57
stop being such a dailymail drama queen ..... sharia courts as it stands covers civil disputes... anything beyond this will contradict british laws and punishments if handed out, will be a criminal offence (assault etc..)

Civil disputes in sharia as biased against women, and I believe many women will be forced through sharia courts. I believe women will be coeherced into being divocred through sharia etc.

Its simply if you want sharia law **** off to Pakistan :h:
Reply 58
as an ex-muslim, my muslim community never expressed any want or need for Shariah law, because the implementation of Shariah law is never actually shariah, because the laws of shariah law are constantly debated.

OP believes he knows what Shariah is, I am sure a lot of right wingers or anti-Islam people believe they know what shariah is. In truth the debate as to what shariah is or how we interpret the Qu'ran is an ongoing debate that essentially started when Muhammad died, it has never ended, Shariah is different everywhere....what I am actually saying is how Islam is followed varies so widely.

What is Shariah law? Is it the implementation of laws based on the hadith and/or quran or is the hadith and or quran themselves shariah law? Which, at the moment of perception, would immediately be an interpretation based on the perceivers identity and background.

Furthermore, most non-muslims who talk about shariah law, how do they get their information? They would glance a few of the texts and perhaps see a few shocking things in the news about beheading on so forth...they probably have no idea of the on going dialectic that occurs in the Islamic schools of thought as to what exactly Shariah law is and what Mohammad was trying to say.

Islam is the on going interpretation and reception by the individual of the Qu'ran and of the life of Mohammad. It is ongoing continuous movement, a Muslims knowledge of Islam is never complete that's what I was taught as a Muslim.

When you say don't want shariah, I have no idea what it is you don't actually want.
Original post by OdinsThunder
Wrong.

Brown people are not British.

99% of Muslims are brownies.

Therefore it is not the religion of many British folk.

Did you have to scratch that thought out of your ass?

Latest

Trending

Trending