The Student Room Group

The PSP Thread

There are bagillions of threads popping up about the psp, so i thinks i will make a little resource for people so they can stop asking the same questions. on with the common questions...

Where do i put my <media type> on the memory stick?

The psp is able to play music and videos, and view photos stored on your memory stick. However it is not always obvious where to put them, so here is how it goes.
F:\
|
+---PSP\
| |
| +---GAME\
| |
| +---MUSIC\
| | |
| | +---My Album\
| | |
| | +---My Song.Mp3
| | +---My Song.Wma
| |
| +---PHOTO\
| | |
| | +My Photo.png
| |
| +---SAVEDATA\
| |
| +---SYSTEM\
|
+---MP_ROOT\
| |
| +---100MNV01\
| | |
| | +---M4V00001.MP4
| |
| +---100ANV01\
| |
| +---MAQ00001.ANV
-
hopefully that is clear enough.

My vidieo doesn't play/ doesn't show up!

The psp can only play .MP4 video files on firmware versions below 2.0, and can play .MP4 and .AVC on 2.0 and above. So you must make sure your video is in a format that is supported under your firmware. Once that is done, it must be named correctly. This is the most annoying thing about it really. MP4 files must be named M4V(xxxxx).MP4 where (xxxxx) is a 5 digit number. .AVC files are similarly named MAQ(xxxxx) where (xxxxx) is a 5 digit number.

Finally, you must make sure it is placed in the right place on your memory stick. Look at the above section for the directory structure of the psp. See the section in MP_ROOT? well place your video in the correct folder depending on the type of video it is.

That should be it. Easy eh? (joke)

My Music isn't working! OH NOO!

Only .mp3 music files are supported on the psp, so if you have windows media ones you are screwed. unless you have firmware 2.6. in 2.6 they have added support for .wma files. This needs to be activated through the settings menu tho.

If the file is of the correct format, then you need to stick it in the \MUSIC directory (check the first section)

What is this homebrew i hear of?

Homebrew is a term given to programs that run on (in this case) the psp, that have been developed by programmers at home. Basically anything unofficial that can run on the psp. Examples of popular homebrew applications are Emulators for classic consoles such as the super nintendo or sega megadrive, and homebrew games like "PSPong". Homebrew its self is not illegal.

However some people have developed .ISO loaders, that enable you to run games off of your memory stick. This too is technically not illegal, as you are allowed to back up your games on to the memory stick, however its most common use is for people to pirate games easilly. *This* is illegal.

It's because of piracy that sony trys to stop people from running homebrew on their psp's. If people pirate games, the game developers get no money, it becomes unprofitable and they make games for the DS. No games for the psp and no one will buy psp's.

So dont pirate games!

To get legitimate homebrew working, you must be running the right firmware on your psp. Versions 1.00 and 1.50 or the psp firmware will allow homebrew to run off of the memory stick. Versions 1.51 and above will not easilly allow homebrew to run. If you have version 2.0, there is an exploit that has been found allowing you to "downgrade" to 1.5, but i wont go in to that here as i dont know how legal it is. at the moment only very primitive homebrew has been executed on versions 2.01 to 2.60, and all of that is through the GTA savefile exploit. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how the homebrew scene currently stands, and people are currently seeing what can be done with the GTA exploit.

So, you have a 1.0 or 1.5 psp, now you need some homebrew. The best site imo is dcemu because that site tries to give the homebrew scene a legitimate front by staying away from anything illegal. So head on over there and find yourself a game.

Then it is just a case of putting the homebrew designed for your firmware in to the \GAME diderctory. There are differences between 1.0 and 1.5, but most homebrews will come with both types. 1.0 will just have a "my_game" folder. 1.5 will have a "my_game" and also a "%my_game" folder.

Now navigate to the game section in the psp, and go to the memory stick icon. your game should be in there. Happy homebrewing!

Do i need a bigger Memory Stick? What size is for me?

memory sticks range from the standard 32 MB one shipped with the value pack, to the 2GB ones currently being produced. It is likely that 8GB or even 16GB sticks will be being produced before the end of 2006. So what size do you need?

If you are using your psp just as a games machine, i would suggest a 128 mb card. They are very cheap these days. And allow enough space for all of your saves and also any extra content for your games. (wipeout for example has more content than would fit on to the standard 32mb stick). You could make do with a 32 *just* for game saves i suppose.

If media is your thing, then go for the biggest one you can afford. I have a 1 GB stick, and it holds enough music for me not to get bored with the selection, Enough videos to entertain people for 10 minutes of whatever, and as many photos and saves as i can shake a stick at. With space left over too.

If homebrew is your thing, but you dont care too much about other media, then something like a 256MB or a 512MB card will be sufficient.

If piracy is your thing, then go to hell.

Can I import a game? Can i import a PSP? Can i import a UMD Movie?

With regards to officially released software, the UMD Movies are region coded in the same manner as DVD releases. This means that the UK is part of region 2. and UMD movies from other regions will not play on a UK PSP. However the UMD game releases are region free. This means you can buy a game anywhere and it will work on your PSP. Even multiplayer functions will work between different regions. However....
johnsonimrodgd
You can only play each other if the game is in the same 'language' not the region. I had a Japanese version (Region 2) of 'Ridge Racers' but I couldn't play against my mate which had a UK version (Region 2). I had a US version (Region 1) of 'Hot Shots Golf' and I was able to play with one of the managers at 'GAME' who had a UK version (Region 2) of the game.

As for importing PSP's this will mean you can only play UMD's from the place where you imported it from. Also, jap PSP's have the X and O buttons swapped in the firmware, so O is selext and X is cancel. But you get used to it apparently.

Bare in mind that Japan and the UK have the same region code (2) so that is quite handy :smile:.

How do i connect to the internet with my psp? (Playing multiplayer games/ web browsing etc.)

The PSP gets connected to the internet through its wireless feature. So to connect you need to be within range of a wireless device that is connected to the internet. There are quite a few ways of configuring this, but i'll just talk about the 2 most common ways.

The easiest and best way is if you are fortunate enough to have a wireless router at your house. These are devices that are used to network any computers you have in your home, so they can share an internet connection, printer etc. To get one with a built in ADSL (broadband) modem, they start from arround £50. To get the router alone with no modem (you will have to have an ethernet modem as well) it will set you back at least £35 i would say. It is unlikely you will have this type of setup with a dial up internet connection.

Once you have the physical components up and running, fire up your PSP, go all the way to the bottom of the settings category and there should be a network icon. Click on it. Select Infrastructure Mode. Select New Connection. Name the connection so that you know it is for web browsing. (ex. WebConnect) That way you can use another connection for the rest of your online games. Push the Right Direction Key to go to the next menu. Select the Scan option and let it pick up your WLAN settings. Now keep hitting right till you get to the end. If you password protected your wireless network, you might need to stop and enter the password. Thats it. Now whenever you try and do something that requires the internet, the connection screen will appear, and you can select the connection you have made.

The other way people connect their psp's is to just buy a network adaptor for your PC. These cost £5 - £10, and you can get USB ones for simple installation. This method is not as good because it requires some technical skill to get the networking set up in windows, and it also means your PC must be turned on before you can get connected. [i might add how to do this at a later date]

How do i browse the web?

Firstly you will need access to the internet. Check out the previous entry to see if you can get internet access. Once you are sure you can get internet access, you need to make sure your psp firmware is capable of web browsing. You can check out the last section for details about firmware, including web browser support. If you have checked that out, and you are using the official browser, it should be as simple as going all the way to the right in the main psp menu, and clicking on the "WWW" icon. This will bring up the connection dialogue, at which point you will select the appropriate connection that you have made earlier. To go to a web address, press triangle to bring up the options, select the address bar at the top and press X to edit it. That is all.

What is firmware? What is the difference between the firmware versions?

"Firmware" is pretty much synonymous with "Operating System". So PSP Firmwares are to the psp, as Windows/ Linux Operating Systems are to the PC. So you can just think of it as your psp's operating system.

It comes in a variety of different versions, each offering different things. Here is how it breaks down:

+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
| 1.50 | 1.51 | 1.52 | 2.00 | 2.10 | 2.50 | 2.60 |
+-----------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
|Video formats |MP4 *1 |MP4 |MP4 |MP4, AVC |MP4, AVC |MP4, AVC, Copyr|MP4, AVC, Copyr|
| | | | | | |-ighted |-ighted |
+-----------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
|Audio Formats |MP3, ATRAC3 |MP3, ATRAC3 |MP3, ATRAC3 |MP3, ATRAC3, AT|MP3, ATRAC3, AT|MP3, ATRAC3, AT|MP3, ATRAC3, AT|
| | | | |-RAC3plus, AAC,|-RAC3plus, AAC,|-RAC3plus, AAC,|-RAC3plus, AAC,|
| | | | |WAV |WAV |WAV |WAV, WMA |
|Image Formats |JPEG |JPEG |JPEG |JPEG, BMP, GIF,|JPEG, BMP, GIF,|JPEG, BMP, GIF,|JPEG, BMP, GIF,|
| | | | |PNG, TIFF |PNG, TIFF |PNG, TIFF |PNG, TIFF |
|Web browser |No *2 |No |No |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |
|Custom Wallpaper |No *3 |No |No |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |
|LocationFree TV |No |No |No |No |No |Yes |Yes |
|Podcasts |No |No |No |No |No |No |Yes |
|Wireless Security|WEP |WEP |WEP |WEP, WPA(TKIP) |WEP, WPA(TKIP) |WEP, WPA(TKIP),|WEP, WPA(TKIP),|
| | | | | | |WPA(AES) |WPA(AES) |
|Homebrew Support |Full |None |None |Partial |No |No |No |
|Downgradability |No |Yes *4 |Yes *4 |Yes |No |No |No |

*1 There is homebrew enabled support for some aditional media types
*2 Wipeout pure can be manipulated to give you a web browser, and there are some homebrew web browsers, but these are all very limited compared to the affocial one.
*3 PSPersonalise can give you custom backgrounds (homebrew)
*4 There is no downgrader for this firmware, but you can upgrade to 2.00 from here, then downgrade.

if anyone can be bothered to write some content, things that havent been covered are:

-playing games multiplayer (ad hoc/ infrastructure)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
oh yea and is it true that if you have one region of a game e.g. gta and another person has the same game but a different region one, can you still play multiplayer or can you only play multiplayer with the same region games?
Reply 2
hmmm ya know im not too sure about that, but ill put it on the too do list. sleep now tho
Reply 3
Choad

-what does each firmware do

http://www.techjapan.com/images/0106/010306/firmware_capability_chart_fullsize.png

this chart shows the different capabilities of each firmware release to date. its pretty useful, although obviously the community is constantly evolving, for example a version of tetris has just been released that you can play through a loophole in GTA:LCS on fw2.5 or fw 2.6. this will, probably, represent the start of homebrew for these firmwares.

Choad

-all region coding related stuff

with regards to officially released software, the umd movies are region coded in the same manner as dvd releases. this means that the uk is part of region 2. and umd movies from other regions will not play on a uk psp. BUT the umd game releases are, to the best of my knowledge, region free (i have a us import version of socom for example.)
Reply 4
It becomes unprofitable and they make games for the DS?

I don't think 13 million PSP's have been sold yet somehow. 13 million DS's however
Reply 5
:smile: that was written with you in mind OMG. i knew it would annoy you.

at college atm, but thanks for that Matt B
Reply 6
I imported my PSP from Canada in June, Cost me £40 to get here, but it came in 3 days :biggrin: Anyone else imported theirs?
taran
oh yea and is it true that if you have one region of a game e.g. gta and another person has the same game but a different region one, can you still play multiplayer or can you only play multiplayer with the same region games?

I've tried this out. You can only play each other if the game is in the same 'language' not the region. I had a Japanese version (Region 2) of 'Ridge Racers' but I couldn't play against my mate which had a UK version (Region 2). I had a US version (Region 1) of 'Hot Shots Golf' and I was able to play with one of the managers at 'GAME' who had a UK version (Region 2) of the game.
Reply 8
johnsonimrodgd
I've tried this out. You can only play each other if the game is in the same 'language' not the region. I had a Japanese version (Region 2) of 'Ridge Racers' but I couldn't play against my mate which had a UK version (Region 2). I had a US version (Region 1) of 'Hot Shots Golf' and I was able to play with one of the managers at 'GAME' who had a UK version (Region 2) of the game.
cheers for that example. i added some stuff :smile:
Reply 9
that was written with you in mind OMG. i knew it would annoy you.

Well, I agree with it to some extent. I mean, most of PSP games are old code ported to PSP so theres very small development costs
Reply 10
:rolleyes:

go on, run away, you dont belong in this thread
Reply 11
Its true. If the PSP had some more original games, i'd happily buy one
Reply 12
i r added sum more stuff :smile:
Reply 13
:biggrin: Thanks for this helpful thread.
Reply 14
can i downgrad from 2.5 to 2.0 and then 1.50
Reply 15
glynny100
can i downgrad from 2.5 to 2.0 and then 1.50

no, the only downgrade available is from 2.0 to 1.5.

2.01/2.5/2.6 are all non-downgradeable.
Matt B
no, the only downgrade available is from 2.0 to 1.5.

2.01/2.5/2.6 are all non-downgradeable.

Not yet......(watch this space)
Reply 17
Choad - Great job man!
Reply 18
johnsonimrodgd
Not yet......(watch this space)
indeed, i have high hopes for the gta exploit.
Reply 19
Choad what do you think of the new firmware releasing in spring? I really like the features, but I won't upgrade until I see the FULL feature list. The Flash support is very interesting. Can't wait till GPS - will be using it in my car 'cos then I have a all-in-one system, playing movies, music, games. It'll be great.

Latest