The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EffKayy
Yeap, its to do with the pumping etc.

Sorry don't quite understand what you said here? Do you mean there is a question on chemiosmosis? If so can you tell me which paper it's in, thanks :biggrin:
Reply 381
Original post by EffKayy
Yes it does.
Gaining of hydrogen = Reduction
Loss of hydrogen = Oxidation.
Gain of electrons = Reduction
Loss of electrons = Oxidation
Gain of oxygen = Oxidation
Loss of oxygen = Reduction

This is why when in the light-dependent stage, electrons that are transferred to 'NADP' reduce it, as well as the H+ from photolysis of water. They both cause a reduction in NADP.

I see. But if just lets say a loss of electrons occurred but the hydrogen stayed the same, would the 'molecule' whatever it may be still become oxidised?

Thanks for the help
Reply 382
Original post by Sockhead
I see. But if just lets say a loss of electrons occurred but the hydrogen stayed the same, would the 'molecule' whatever it may be still become oxidised?

Thanks for the help

Yes.
Reply 383
Fantastic
+Rep

Happy days, thanks :smile:
Reply 384
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
Sorry don't quite understand what you said here? Do you mean there is a question on chemiosmosis? If so can you tell me which paper it's in, thanks :biggrin:

I cant remember.. maybe the june 2010?
It said describe the role of the inner membrane or something in producing ATP

Basically you just gotta know that in the Electron transport chain for respiration, as electrons are passed down it, carriers etc, they lose energy. This energy is used to pump H+ ions into the intermembrane space of the mitochondria, this causes a electrochemical gradient to be established, so H+ ions then go back into the matrix via protein carriers etc, and with ATP synthase --> ADP combines with Pi to form ATP.
Reply 385
Original post by Sockhead
Fantastic
+Rep

Happy days, thanks :smile:

You're welcome.
If you need anymore help, ask :biggrin:
Original post by EffKayy

Basically you just gotta know that in the Electron transport chain for respiration, as electrons are passed down it, carriers etc, they lose energy. This energy is used to pump H+ ions into the intermembrane space of the mitochondria, this causes a electrochemical gradient to be established, so H+ ions then go back into the matrix via protein carriers etc, and with ATP synthase --> ADP combines with Pi to form ATP.

Ah okay, yeah I do remember this question I thought it was different for photosynthesis. I haven't seen them ask an equivalent question but for the production of ATP by photophosphorylation, perhaps they only want us to know it for aerobic respiration :smile:
Reply 387
Original post by EffKayy

So during the diffusion of H+ back into the matrix they lose energy which is used to combine ADP and Pi? Also where do the H+ come from originally? Cheers
Reply 388
Original post by ps3g4m3r
So during the diffusion of H+ back into the matrix they lose energy which is used to combine ADP and Pi? Also where do the H+ come from originally? Cheers

They diffuse back into the stroma via the enzyme ATP synthase which combine ADP and Pi to create ATP.
The H+ comes from photolysis when the water (H2O) splits into 2H+, 2e- and half o2.
Reply 389
Original post by Besakt
They diffuse back into the stroma via the enzyme ATP synthase which combine ADP and Pi to create ATP.
The H+ comes from photolysis when the water (H2O) splits into 2H+, 2e- and half o2.

Sorry, in respiration (matrix is in mitochondria) during the electron transport chain there, is it the same for the ATP synthase? and where do the H+ come from?
Reply 390
Original post by ps3g4m3r
Sorry, in respiration (matrix is in mitochondria) during the electron transport chain there, is it the same for the ATP synthase? and where do the H+ come from?

In respiration the H+ comes from the NADH and FADH. Then the H+ moves down it's concentration gradient via the enzyme ATP synthase which combines ADP and Pi.
i think markschemes r specific
For the electron transport chain in photosynthesis, does the rule of H+ ions being pumped across ATP synthase still apply?
My CGP guide says so but the Nelson Thornes book doesn't.
Original post by Insanity514
For the electron transport chain in photosynthesis, does the rule of H+ ions being pumped across ATP synthase still apply?
My CGP guide says so but the Nelson Thornes book doesn't.

The NT book is pretty useless for A2... the H+ rule still applies, but normally you're never required to go into that much detail about the ETC, just because BIOL4 never has that many marks available for respiration/photosynthesis.
Reply 394
Guys does anyone know/remember what the practical for respiration was. Its come up quite a few times and i cant find it anywhere :/
Anyone here have any of the unit 4 past papers prior to jan 2010 or know of any websites that has them?
Reply 396
Original post by handsome7654
Anyone here have any of the unit 4 past papers prior to jan 2010 or know of any websites that has them?

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications/a-level/science/biology/biology-6416-materials
When referring to limiting factors in the rate of photosynthesis is it acceptable to say light intensity or do you have to be more general and say light? Thanks :smile:
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
When referring to limiting factors in the rate of photosynthesis is it acceptable to say light intensity or do you have to be more general and say light? Thanks :smile:

If anything, it's probably better to say light intensity as it's more specific. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending