The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by EffKayy
You are told that is very rare --> so likely to be reccessive, and because you have to have two copies of a recessive allele for it to be present in the phenotype, its going to be homozygous recessive.

So 48% --> ''rr' we'll call it.
So 'r' = square root of 0.48 (same as 48%)
Therefore r is 0.693.
1- 0.693 = 0.307, because R (dominant allele) and r (recessive allele) MUST equal one.
So R = 0.307, r = 0.693.

Use the equation

p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1
Where 2pq is for the heterozygous. So you do (0.693*0.307)*2 = 0.43 which is 43%. Hope this is correct haha

The allele for the disorder is Dominant, it says so in the question. I'm confused. :s-smilie:

Oh, let me add your retarded line: 'lol at you'.
Reply 581
Original post by Heyimdec
The allele for the disorder is Dominant, it says so in the question. I'm confused. :s-smilie:

Oh, let me add your retarded line: 'lol at you'.

I didnt read the dominant bit.. so yeah lol at me..
awkward haha
Reply 582
Original post by EffKayy
I didnt read the dominant bit.. so yeah lol at me..
awkward haha

Thankyou for admitting your mistake, I wasn't expecting that. :tongue:
Reply 583
Original post by NutterFrutter
Bold = relevant information to question.

So, you know 48% of the population are either HH or Hh, so 52% are hh.

Need to work out allele frequency. h = sqrt(0.52) = 0.72, so H = 0.28.

Heterozygous is 2Hh = (2*0.72*0.28)*100 = 40.32%

You arent going to attempt my wonderful questions on the previous page? :frown: haha
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
1) ATP is a better source of energy than glucose. Give one reason why (1)
2)Explain why photolysis of water is needed in the light dependent stage (1)
3) Give one way in which the rate of photosynthesis can be measured (2)
4) After succession, a climax community is made. Explain the advantage of this in terms of food chains/webs (1) (old spec question)
5) State the units for which:
Pyramids of Biomass (2)
Pyramids of Energy (1)
is measured
6) Explain one disadvantage of using chemical pesticides (1)
7) In intensive rearing of livestock, the food intake is controlled. Explain why (2)
8) Describe what is meant by:
A genotype (1)
A phenotype (1)
A recessive allele (1)
9) Explain the effect of combustion of fossil fuels towards the environment (2)
10) Explain how leaching can occur (1)
11) On the death of animals, saprobionts break down large organic molecules into smaller ones and absorb these via diffusion. They also contribute towards climate change. Explain how (3)

GO GO GO

1) ATP can be formed in one simple step: ADP + Pi --> ATP, and because it's released in short bursts less is wasted as heat.
2) photolysis of water is needed to lyse the water into o2 and electrons, so that the electrons can be passed along the electron transfer chain, it provides electrons to replace those that are lost from photosystem 2, which help ATP generation.
3) the rate of photosynthesis can be measured by measuring the volume of oxygen produced from a plant. so for example by doing an experiment with a plant underwater with a funnel over it, and then counting the number of bubbles coming out of the funnel. i'm not sure, i have no idea :frown:
4)
5) pyramids of biomass is measured in g/m2
pyramids of energy is measured in kcal ?
6) one disadvantage is that they can be leached if it rains, and this can lead to eutrophication
7) food intake is controlled because for example, in a battery farm the animals are all confined to a very small space and hence they cannot move around which leads to them losing less energy, so they don't need to eat as much food. this is useful for the farmer because he doesn't need to spend loads of money on feeding the animals in excessive amounts
8) a genotype is the genetic makeup - the specific allele makeup of the individual
a phenotype is the visible characteristics/ the observable behaviour, they result from the genotype
9) combustion of fossil fuels leads to accumulation of greenhouse gases which lead to global warming: this causes the earth to warm up and affects the environment.
10) leaching can occur when there is rainfall and this causes pesticides or fertilizers to be washed away into lakes or reservoirs.
11) saprobionts, i have no idea, they are decomposers that break down the dead organisms. they contribute to climate change because they do respiration so they release co2 into the atmosphere which is a greenhouse gas which can lead to global warming ?
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
You arent going to attempt my wonderful questions on the previous page? :frown: haha

I know the answers, so it'd be a waste of time. :lol:
Reply 586

:colone:
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy

hey i answered them!
Original post by persian_tanya

hey i answered them!

I looked at your first answer and it's wrong. :teehee:
Reply 589
1) ATP can be formed in one simple step: ADP + Pi --> ATP, and because it's released in short bursts less is wasted as heat.
I wouldnt credit the bit about it being formed in one step, however you can say it can be hydrolysed in a single step reaction. But the short bursts one would score credit, not sure though.. you gottta specify that it releases a small amount of energy.
2) photolysis of water is needed to lyse the water into o2 and electrons, so that the electrons can be passed along the electron transfer chain, it provides electrons to replace those that are lost from photosystem 2, which help ATP generation.
V. good.
3) the rate of photosynthesis can be measured by measuring the volume of oxygen produced from a plant. so for example by doing an experiment with a plant underwater with a funnel over it, and then counting the number of bubbles coming out of the funnel. i'm not sure, i have no idea :frown:
1/2 - remember to say divided by per unit time
4)
5) pyramids of biomass is measured in g/m2
For area --> gm^-2, then for volume its gm^-3
pyramids of energy is measured in kcal ?
kjm^-2year^-1
6) one disadvantage is that they can be leached if it rains, and this can lead to eutrophication
v good.
7) food intake is controlled because for example, in a battery farm the animals are all confined to a very small space and hence they cannot move around which leads to them losing less energy, so they don't need to eat as much food. this is useful for the farmer because he doesn't need to spend loads of money on feeding the animals in excessive amounts
0 marks. You gotta say food is given which contains high protein, etc for good digestability/maximum growth.
8) a genotype is the genetic makeup - the specific allele makeup of the individual
a phenotype is the visible characteristics/ the observable behaviour, they result from the genotype
v good.
9) combustion of fossil fuels leads to accumulation of greenhouse gases which lead to global warming: this causes the earth to warm up and affects the environment.
:biggrin:
10) leaching can occur w
hen there is rainfall and this causes pesticides or fertilizers to be washed away into lakes or reservoirs.
rainwater dissolves the fertilisers.
11) saprobionts, i have no idea, they are decomposers that break down the dead organisms. they contribute to climate change because they do respiration so they release co2 into the atmosphere which is a greenhouse gas which can lead to global warming ?
V good - but you gotta say extracellular digestion - enzymes etc

well done
Reply 590

By the way this is *KINDA*ish portraying you as over-confident.... :colondollar:
Original post by EffKayy
By the way this is *KINDA*ish portraying you as over-confident.... :colondollar:

Really? Anyway, I'll be off now, chemistry revision, then some more biology revision, Maths revision tomorrow. :biggrin:
i just can't get in the mood to study unit 4 bio.... arghhhhhhhh
Reply 593

Isn't eutrophication the building up of nutrients in a body of water, due to the leaching of inorganic fertilizers. Im not quite sure how the leaching of a chemical poison causes this???
Please correct me if im wrong
Reply 594
Original post by James A
i just can't get in the mood to study unit 4 bio.... arghhhhhhhh

Ecology sucks! :frown: So boring
Reply 595
Sorry I've asked this before as well, but does anyone have the June 09 paper?
Reply 596
Original post by Erotas

All the old spec papers are here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications/a-level/science/biology/biology-6416-materials
Original post by Erotas

There's no such thing as a June 09 paper, the syllabus started in Jan 2009 with the first batch of AS students taking unit 1 and unit 2 during 2009, so there would have been no A2 students for 2009
Reply 598

You're answering my questions everywhere :colondollar:
But they don't have the June 09 paper on the aqa website - does that just mean it doesn't exist?
Reply 599
Can somebody explain to me, in detail, the stages of succession?

I have some notes on it but they need elaboration. Thanks. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending