The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
What do we actually need to know about succession? just an example?
Reply 1381
Original post by James A
what was the grade boundaries for the june 2011 paper?

Why are people asking for these? You know you can just type it into google. Do not underestimate the google power.
Original post by James A
what was the grade boundaries for the june 2011 paper?

http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BOUND-JUNE11.PDF
Reply 1383
Can someone list a rough list of everything from the past units we should know:

enzymes
structure of chloroplast and mitochondria
Original post by Rahmeh.
Why are people asking for these? You know you can just type it into google. Do not underestimate the google power.

I just made it one step easier :biggrin:
Original post by EffKayy
53 for an A, 57/58 for an A*..
I think :tongue:

53 for an A. fml, even despite that was an easy paper
Peoplezzzz questions cmon1!!
Original post by Cryptorchid306

Original post by Cryptorchid306
Are you sure? That's really low xD Was it like a super hard paper or something?

I didn't find it too hard either but then I googled it and lots of people were saying it was the worst paper ever done...Think AQA got a lot of stick for the paper at the time so put the grade boundaries low..
Original post by Manii93
I think the last question will have the following topics, which are slightly inter-linked:

- Name and explain factors contributing to the greenhouse effect. (5)
- Explain the consequences of the greenhouse effect (knowing AQA, on an obscure named species of plant/bird) (5)
- Something to do with the distribution and explanation of anaerobic microorganisms if global warming continues (maybe in places that were not flooded before but are now..waterlogged areas perhaps?) (5)

Last point seems far-fetched but AQA follow the policy: 'Any Question Allowed' :wink: haha

Can you help me with what would you write for the first one?!
Original post by James A
53 for an A. fml, even despite that was an easy paper

So you're saying they should have been higher?
Reply 1390
please can someone answer this??

In a population of otters the allele frequency of the recessive allele t, was found to be 0.2
Use the hardy-weinberg equation to calculate the percentage of homozygous recessive sea otters in this population???
Original post by aim28
please can someone answer this??

In a population of otters the allele frequency of the recessive allele t, was found to be 0.2
Use the hardy-weinberg equation to calculate the percentage of homozygous recessive sea otters in this population???

0.2^2 x 100
why is that difficult?
Reply 1392
Original post by Erotas
Can someone list a rough list of everything from the past units we should know:

enzymes
structure of chloroplast and mitochondria

Adaptation of chloroplast and mitochondria for their purposes...
adaptations of the leaf...
Reply 1393
Can some1 please explain the carbon and nitrogen cycle?
Original post by persian_tanya
thankyou! basically, i understand the nitrogen cycle and because there's always loads of questions on it, i did them and understand that, but i haven't practiced the carbon cycle so i don't know how to do this question:

'Microorganisms make the carbon in polymers in a dead worm available to cells in a leaf. Describe how.' 5 marks

and with human populations, i don't know how to calculate the birth rate and death rate etc :s-smilie:

with natural selection types, it's basically just learning the different types right?

and with succession, do we need to learn about secondary succession too?

thankyou so muchhhhhh :smile:

Okay really sorry about the late reply, okay so first : Decomposers break down the dead worm by extracellular digestion. this is where the decomposer secretes its enzymes all over the dead organism. it then absorbs the products of the digestion. This is an aerobic process, so co2 is produced. The co2 is then absorbed by the plant via the stomata.

human populations...birth rate is basically the amount of live deaths per1000 per year.

Natural selection theres two types, directional and stabilising,
stabilising, basically is where extreme alleles arent favoured, so like in a curve it the stuff on the sides.
directional, is where natural selection favours the extreme form of that characteristic.

um succession is just how it happens, so talk about colonisers...if you need any more help mail me sorry about the late reply btw went to the gym xx
Reply 1395
Original post by Erotas
No this is wrong - you've confused ammonification with nitrogen fixation. Saprobiotic bacteria are the ones that release ammonia into the soil, and then the ammonia is converted to ammonium ions.

ammonification is when nitrogen compounds from dead organisms are turned into ammonium compounds by decomposers- from cgp rev.guide

and so nitrgoen fixation is nitrgoen in atmosphere is turned into ammonium ions/ammonia by bacteria?
Reply 1396
Original post by NinjaRikki
Ha :smile: Yes we Photosynthesise :biggrin:

... no its doesnt some do some dont you can pick them out, im not trying to mock you btw, just in a funny mood. Getting nervous now :/

Haha! I wasn't talking about your answer - I meant does the question limiting factors of a population refer to humans as in disease and war etc...

Original post by Rich C
When an animal is young a higher proportion of the food it takes in is converted to biomass as it is growing in size. Older animals grow less, so respire or excrete more of their food, so this reduces productivity. Therefore less food is wasted and productivity is greater if you slaughter an animal before this point.

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1397
Original post by EffKayy
0.2^2 x 100
why is that difficult?

Why to the power of 2..?
Reply 1398
Original post by EffKayy
0.2^2 x 100
why is that difficult?

wasnt sure if i needed to square it or square root it, i get confused, but thanks anyway
Reply 1399
Original post by neekha
WOW REALLY!? That's amazing, super happy now :smile: Thank you!

Haha :tongue:

Original post by SoftMusk
mine starts at 8:30 am o-o

Oh my, good luck! Make sure you have an early night aswell.... Think about it this way.. You'll be finished long before me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending