The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by xcristalx
thank you.! in jan 11 q)2c how would you get to the answer? dont understand

16 percent rhesus negative. Rhesus positive is dominant allele, so rhesus negative is reccessive allele.

so q^2 = 0.16
so q = 0.4

heterozygous is 2pq
you already have q so you just need p and as p + q =1.0
p => 1-0.4 = 0.6
so heterozygous is 2*0.4*0.6 = 0.48 = 48%
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1581
Original post by SpringNicht
Fertilisers are leached from farm land into lakes. Numbers of algae increase (algal bloom) and this decreased light transmission through water. Plants at the bottom of the lake cannot photosynthesise and die. Algae also die and sink to the bottom of the lake. Numbers of saprophytic bacteria increase in the lake due to the increase in dead organic matter so the biochemical oxygen demand increases. This lowers the O2 concentration in the water so marine animals eg fish die.

Ooh thanks :smile:

Btw one more thing, is saprophytic bacteria the same as saprobiotic bacteria? :s-smilie:
Original post by eemooz
Ooh thanks :smile:

Btw one more thing, is saprophytic bacteria the same as saprobiotic bacteria? :s-smilie:

Yes :smile:
Reply 1583
Original post by SpringNicht
Yes :smile:

:biggrin: thanks!!!
Original post by nasira372
-Nitrates leach into the sea, resulting in algae growth
-Light prevented from reaching plants
-Plants cant photosynthesis so they die
-Increased number of bacteria
-Bacteria respire so less oxygen
-Fish die

good summary cheers :biggrin:
Question 7 will be a little bitch as usual!

Looking forward to Q8, hoping its a kind mark reaper for us :P
Someone give me a topic that will prbably come up!
Cramming is a sport im rather good at!
I'm off to get a good nights sleep. Can't wait to check this tomorrow after sixthform and see how many questions I got wrong!
Good luck guys
Original post by AckyWackyBacky
Question 7 will be a little bitch as usual!

Looking forward to Q8, hoping its a kind mark reaper for us :P
Someone give me a topic that will prbably come up!
Cramming is a sport im rather good at!

My teacher was saying you can tell who revised a lot from those who didn't by seeing if they do better in question 8 or 7, LOL.

I'd say respiration is a pretty safe bet (and its not too long, always a plus!)
Im a boss at remembering diagrams, but i swear to god I hope they dont pull an ecological one on me, its such a picky subject!

Does anyone else find AQA a little too nitty gritty on the HSW?
im gonna hit the bed now (sound wrong i know but basically im gonna sleep :tongue:)

my mum said she's gonna wake me up early like 5am (because even my alarm clock doesn't wake me up!) so i can start revising till 7.00, where i then leave my house......... why don't you guys sleep now?
I could never revise at 5am!

I like to feel proper tired before I sleep, or i dont get a good night :P

I crash/feel drowsy at about 11am anyway which is after exam time so thats alright i suppose haha
Reply 1591
Hi,,

can someone please explain to me how one can see if a condition is sex-linked?

and I would appreciate a good'ol summary of succession. :smile:

Thank you guys,,,, Wish everyone the best for tomorrow!
I look forward to these exams xD

I blag my way through because I can usually work out good responses to the how science works questions.

That being said, I should be able to answer the ones in question 8 fairly well :smile:

Aren't the boundaries only like 45/75 for an A or something anyway if its an average paper?
Last thing, can anyone tell me

The total yeild of ATP in aerobic respiration?
Whats in glycolysis in terms on "on the spot ATP produced" and potential ATP in reduced NAD etc
Also in krebs/ETC :P
I could never revise at 5am!

I like to feel proper tired before I sleep, or i dont get a good night :P

I crash/feel drowsy at about 11am anyway which is after exam time so thats alright i suppose haha

lol, yeah, im gonna eat weatabix coz the pack said slow releasing energy. so ill be good for the exam.....

my brain seems to fresh in the morning, especially 30 minutes into the start....... loads of things are going through my brain right now! like going to sleep!!

anyway bye guys
Last thing, can anyone tell me

The total yeild of ATP in aerobic respiration?
Whats in glycolysis in terms on "on the spot ATP produced" and potential ATP in reduced NAD etc
Also in krebs/ETC :P

Total yield varies between textbooks/sources but it's usually either 32 or 36, they won't ask for it without giving you data to work it out from.

In glycolysis there is a NET production of 2 ATP (2 is used in turning glucose into tp but 4 created in turning tp into pyruvate) and there is 2 NADH formed.

In link there is 1 NADH formed (but happens twice for every one glucose)

In krebs there is 3 NADH, 1 FADH and 1 ATP (but happens twice for every one glucose)

In ETC the NADH and FADH are used to produce ATP by giving up their H (but this is where the discrepancy lies, some say 3 ATP per NADH and 2 ATP per FADH but others 2.5 and 1.5 per etc)
I just looked at the past papers from the old specification, I wish i checked them before. So much harder, I feel crap now :frown:
Cheers boys, I think im ready.

As long as theres no GODDAM SHREWS!

haha :P
Meh, the shrews weren't even that much of a par, I think most candidates did really well on it xD
Reply 1599
Succession summary please?!
And conservation of habitats?

thank youu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending