The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
You're all lucky train-wise. Cheapest I can get (I checked) about £90 for a return, and that's as far in advance as I could possibly book it. Hooray. I just thank God that I don't have to buy plane tickets home. I shudder to think how much it must be costing the international students. My heart goes out to you.

That's expensive how long is it going to take you?
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 1381
Oh ok not to far then :smile:
Original post by lgorman
Wow!!, your train ticket is cheap I have looked and for a return ticket it is going to cost me £50.30 with a railcard without it will cost just over £70:00 and that is around 4hrs 30min just to get one way from Warwick to Norwich, so you guys are quite lucky lol

4 hours 30, blimey, no wonder its so expensive!

but 10 quid return from london to norwich is sweeeeeeeet. unlucky there. greater anglia are a cheap train company it has to be said. im guessing from warwick is probably another provider, east midlands trains?
You're all lucky train-wise. Cheapest I can get (I checked) about £90 for a return, and that's as far in advance as I could possibly book it. Hooray. I just thank God that I don't have to buy plane tickets home. I shudder to think how much it must be costing the international students. My heart goes out to you.

hang on, hang on! i thought you can take the plane from an airport in Scotland. I think it's Aberdeen, not to sure..... Thats what one of the guys who was at my UEA interview did.
Original post by lgorman
Wow!!, your train ticket is cheap I have looked and for a return ticket it is going to cost me £50.30 with a railcard without it will cost just over £70:00 and that is around 4hrs 30min just to get one way from Warwick to Norwich, so you guys are quite lucky lol

How much would it cost you to get from Warwick to Coventry? Because last year when I was going to interviews/applicant days/accommodation viewings I had to go to Bham and I went with London Midlands because Virgin were going to charge me £120 to get to Bham (in their dreams! it was quite last minute) and with a railcard it cost me £6 return, £9.50 if you didnt have a railcard from Euston. It was a slower train so stopped constantly though. Then Euston -> LST via tube and then you could separately get a £5.30 ticket to Norwich.

But it's headache trying to plan it that way by buying separating the tickets for each leg of the journey. As you have to make sure you give yourself enough time in case something happens with one train. I remember the first time we got Chilton railway to Cov, then swapped to london midland to get to Bham and that worked out as just under a fiver for a return. or it might have been the other way around because we arrived at bham moor street.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1385
Any Got a Mental Health Nursing Interview on 29th March ?
Reply 1386
Original post by makingamemory
How much would it cost you to get from Warwick to Coventry? Because last year when I was going to interviews/applicant days/accommodation viewings I had to go to Bham and I went with London Midlands because Virgin were going to charge me £120 to get to Bham (in their dreams! it was quite last minute) and with a railcard it cost me £6 return, £9.50 if you didnt have a railcard from Euston. It was a slower train so stopped constantly though. Then Euston -> LST via tube and then you could separately get a £5.30 ticket to Norwich.

But it's headache trying to plan it that way by buying separating the tickets for each leg of the journey. As you have to make sure you give yourself enough time in case something happens with one train. I remember the first time we got Chilton railway to Cov, then swapped to london midland to get to Bham and that worked out as just under a fiver for a return. or it might have been the other way around because we arrived at bham moor street.

Well none of the trains whic are going from warwick are going to Coventry or Leamington as many are going to London and ten to Norwich, but I could get a lift to coventry so I might see if it is cheaper to go from Coventry thank you, for your helo, do you live near me then :smile:
Original post by James A
hang on, hang on! i thought you can take the plane from an airport in Scotland. I think it's Aberdeen, not to sure..... Thats what one of the guys who was at my UEA interview did.

You can definitely fly here from Edinburgh because I've done it myself on several occasions. Go to www.flybe.com and have a look. Most UK flights into Norwich airport are with them. It probably wouldn't cost much different to the train and only takes about 45 mins.
Original post by lgorman
Well none of the trains whic are going from warwick are going to Coventry or Leamington as many are going to London and ten to Norwich, but I could get a lift to coventry so I might see if it is cheaper to go from Coventry thank you, for your helo, do you live near me then :smile:

What about Birmingham? I was just thinking because Warwick and Coventry are quite close.
I don't sorry, I live in Surrey. But last year Birmingham was my insurance and Coventry was one of my 5, so I had to travel to that end quite a lot last year :tongue:
Original post by James A

You can, but considering the costs, I'd rather just take the train. Besides, I always meet weird people on planes.
Original post by lgorman
That's expensive how long is it going to take you?

9 or 10 hours, as long as there isn't delays. I'll just end up watching series of various TV shows, most likely. I could watch an entire series of Being Human in that time, and do something else besides. And I'll probably read as well.
Original post by UEAAccommodation
You can definitely fly here from Edinburgh because I've done it myself on several occasions. Go to www.flybe.com and have a look. Most UK flights into Norwich airport are with them. It probably wouldn't cost much different to the train and only takes about 45 mins.

Oh wow, if I left really early in the morning it would actually be cheaper. Brilliant. Might do that for the Christmas holidays so I make it back for my sisters birthday.

Wait, no. It would cost the same for a one way ticket on the plane as it would for a return ticket on the train. Still, when I need to get back without taking a whole day to do it, it's a pretty sweet plan.
(edited 12 years ago)
eep! Would splitting up your journey be cheaper? e.g. separate tickets for each train connection?

Don't think so, it tends to be more expensive I think. But I'll have to do at least one change even if I book it straight there. I don't mind so much, I'll just have to get used to my own company. And it's only one day every few months.
Not an option for everyone depending where you live of course, and how much time you have to spare, but coaches are a LOT cheaper than trains.
Megabus, or preferably (cause the coaches are nicer) National Express funfares - I know you can get coaches really cheap if you book in advance, have got return from London to Norwich for about £6
Also have got coaches from London to Edinburgh for around £17.
It's worth checking out if you find trains are unreasonably expensive.
Original post by fabbykadabra
Not an option for everyone depending where you live of course, and how much time you have to spare, but coaches are a LOT cheaper than trains.
Megabus, or preferably (cause the coaches are nicer) National Express funfares - I know you can get coaches really cheap if you book in advance, have got return from London to Norwich for about £6
Also have got coaches from London to Edinburgh for around £17.
It's worth checking out if you find trains are unreasonably expensive.

£1.50 to get back to Norwich from Victoria after half term :biggrin: WIN!

except I have to come back on the 12th April because I have a fieldtrip to Devon so no one's even gonna be back *loner in my flat*
Reply 1395
What about Birmingham? I was just thinking because Warwick and Coventry are quite close.
I don't sorry, I live in Surrey. But last year Birmingham was my insurance and Coventry was one of my 5, so I had to travel to that end quite a lot last year :tongue:

Oh ok and I might do, thanks
Reply 1396
Original post by James A
4 hours 30, blimey, no wonder its so expensive!

but 10 quid return from london to norwich is sweeeeeeeet. unlucky there. greater anglia are a cheap train company it has to be said. im guessing from warwick is probably another provider, east midlands trains?

Yeah I think so, I am going to look at splitting the route so pay separate tickets for each change to see if it works out cheaper
Reply 1397
9 or 10 hours, as long as there isn't delays. I'll just end up watching series of various TV shows, most likely. I could watch an entire series of Being Human in that time, and do something else besides. And I'll probably read as well.

OMG that is far, I do not think I would be able to cope for that long, where do you live Scotland?
Original post by lgorman
OMG that is far, I do not think I would be able to cope for that long, where do you live Scotland?

Haha, good thing you don't have to make the trip then. Yeah, up in Aberdeenshire. Still, the weather's been lovely lately so there are plus points to living here. The last time I saw weather like this was in Norwich, actually, on the open day. :lol:
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Applying for History and Politics. It was a bit of a last minute choice but it's really growing on me. No idea where I'm placing them all just yet :ninja:

Hey man im applying to do history and politics there too, have you been to a visiting day yet? is it your firm or insurance?

Latest

Trending

Trending