The Student Room Group

differentiate arctan(xy)

How do you do this?

I've been working with partial derviatives recently but i've forgotten simple differentiation rules I learnt at A Level 3 years ago.. :frown: anyway just need to know how to differentiate arctan(xy). can anyone explain? or show? thank you!!
Original post by christykai1049
How do you do this?

I've been working with partial derviatives recently but i've forgotten simple differentiation rules I learnt at A Level 3 years ago.. :frown: anyway just need to know how to differentiate arctan(xy). can anyone explain? or show? thank you!!

Differentiating w.r.t. what? Is it partial differentiation?

Set z=arctan(xy)z=\arctan (xy) and take the tan of both sides.
Reply 2
d/dx of arctanx=1/(x^2+1) then chain rule?
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Differentiating w.r.t. what? Is it partial differentiation?

Set z=arctan(xy)z=\arctan (xy) and take the tan of both sides.

no, not partial dervatives. i just need to know the differentiation of arctan(xy)
d(arctan f(x))/dx = f'(x)/(1+f(x)^2).

Edit: This was based on your above post that it's not partial differentiation, i.e. y is not a function of x.
(edited 12 years ago)
How do you do this?

ddxtan1(x)=1x2+1[br][br][br] \dfrac{d}{dx} \tan^{-1}(x) = \dfrac{1}{x^2+1}[br][br][br]

Then chain rule. To work the above about just differentiate normally using z=tan1(x) z = \tan^{-1}(x) and taking the tan of both sides.

EDIT: Woops beaten to it, oh well.
no, not partial dervatives. i just need to know the differentiation of arctan(xy)

You haven't give us enough information. What are you differentiating with respect to? x? Is y a function of x or is it independent etc. If y is a function of x, follow the advice given to take the tan of both side, differentiate using the chain rule and go from there.
thanks everyone! :smile:
Wolfram has a great step-by-step way of showing it (wrt x). In the spoiler below if you wanna see :smile:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest