The Student Room Group

What do you think of Ed Sheeran?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moontoon
Scrawny little ginger kid without an ounce of originality

Wow, it took til the 19th post to drop the "ginger" bomb:rolleyes:
Reply 81
A team. I didn't realise such obvious referencing to drug use was allowed. "couple of grams"
Reply 82
Original post by jhubbert
A team. I didn't realise such obvious referencing to drug use was allowed. "couple of grams"

Why not?
Reply 83
Original post by kingme
Why not?

Because if they censor 'obscene' language why do they include drug references??
Reply 84
Original post by jhubbert
Because if they censor 'obscene' language why do they include drug references??

They only censor explicit references - listen to radio 1 for half an hour and you'll hear enough euphimsism to fill a carry on film.

My problem with that song was that it was more concerned about not getting bleeped on the radio than its subject matter.

Better version:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hes Sh it. I read a Bob Dylan comparison that made me wanna curl up and die already.
Original post by EssexDan86
"They say I'm up and coming like I'm f****ng in an elevator"

Great lyric! :smile:

That's your definition of a great lyric? :eek:
Reply 87
his new album is absolutely amazing, i can't stop listening to it. also love that he came from the london scene as well
Original post by kingme
They only censor explicit references - listen to radio 1 for half an hour and you'll hear enough euphimsism to fill a carry on film.

My problem with that song was that it was more concerned about not getting bleeped on the radio than its subject matter.

Better version:

Love that version. I saw Ed Sheeran at Lovebox in the summer, and when he sang The A Team Mikill Pane came on stage to do this version which is much better lyrically and it's actually rap I like.

I don't get why all of these indie kids hate Ed Sheeran all of a sudden, they certainly didnt a year ago when he was getting known via youtube (oh yeah because that's mainstream). He wasn't supported by any major record labels or anything through the start of his career, he's not off the x-factor, he's just producing good music that coincidently caters for a large audience - thats no different to, say, Joy Division or Bob Dylan (not saying he is as good as either, just that they were equally popular or 'mainstream' back in the day).

Seems like some people just like to hate popular music because it's popular, regardless of whether it is good. I like psychedelic nu-folk just as much as the next guy, doesn't mean I can't appreciate somebody like Ed Sheeran just because he gets lots of radio time...

As a side note I prefer that stuff he did before his new album, +. Seems a bit over produced, less raw and far less edgy than the original versions of some of the songs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 89
At first I thought, yeahhh, he's alright.
Then I happened upon on interview or some such thing and thought, twerp.
Then he was everywhere.
Then his face started to annoy me.
Now he just pisses me off. :colonhash:
I hate the fact he rips off Laid Blak's 'My eyes are red.'
I like him.:smile: Especially his new song Lego house.
I think he's good, I mean I love his new song Lego House.

But I'm not crazy obessed with him...and because some people are crazy obsessed, seems he is a bit overrated.
He's good but not AMAZING....
Reply 93
the video for his new song confuses me.
Reply 94
Original post by EmperorMustard
Love that version. I saw Ed Sheeran at Lovebox in the summer, and when he sang The A Team Mikill Pane came on stage to do this version which is much better lyrically and it's actually rap I like.

I don't get why all of these indie kids hate Ed Sheeran all of a sudden, they certainly didnt a year ago when he was getting known via youtube (oh yeah because that's mainstream). He wasn't supported by any major record labels or anything through the start of his career, he's not off the x-factor, he's just producing good music that coincidently caters for a large audience - thats no different to, say, Joy Division or Bob Dylan (not saying he is as good as either, just that they were equally popular or 'mainstream' back in the day).

Seems like some people just like to hate popular music because it's popular, regardless of whether it is good. I like psychedelic nu-folk just as much as the next guy, doesn't mean I can't appreciate somebody like Ed Sheeran just because he gets lots of radio time...

As a side note I prefer that stuff he did before his new album, +. Seems a bit over produced, less raw and far less edgy than the original versions of some of the songs.

tbh ive not listened to him. i just hate that song :tongue:
Just listens the start of the A team, You Need Me and abit of the video you put up, thought they were all crap. Boring beat, cliched lyrics, he doesn't seem that talented. I will try and get though that A Team song so I can have a proper opinion.
No use, that A Team song sounds **** to me, I am trying to listen to Wayfaring Stranger but is really, really bad.
(edited 12 years ago)
I actually really like him.
Reply 97
"You Need Me I Don't Need You" is decent. "A Team" is listenable. "Lego House" is plain awful. I don't know why everyone thinks he's amazing. :confused:
Reply 98
I adore him. Fell in love with 'The A-Team' on the first listen, same with 'Lego House' and 'Kiss Me'. Beautiful guitar, beautiful lyrics. Love his voice, it's gentle but got a raw quality as well.
Reply 99
He is a ranga though...

Quick Reply

Latest