The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uob
That's a fair sample size, although I doubt all students would have filled it out - why don't you stop trying to par the university by making immature comments about statistics, when I simply asked a genuine question about the size.
Obviously, I'm sure you agree, surveys aren't the best account overall.

I'm continually confused about your attitude to other people however. I'm not "some Bham representee trying to save face for them". I'm an actual student who has an opinion, and tries to put that across in an unbiased way to help potential students - this is not marketing.
It's obviously impossible for anyone to be entirely unbiased, so I'll point out the things that influence my responses. You seem adamant that your opinion represents some larger consensus among students, which I feel is untrue, hence my responses to the contrary.

I wouldnt worry about him....hes just a another troll...every Uni has one...watch he'll be bitching about his first job and anything else in the universe that he can possibly bitch about lol.....
In actual fact Its hard not feel sorry for Txi....Regardless of what University you go too whether it be Birmingham uni, Bristol, LSE or even DMU you should make the absolute possible best of the time and opportunities available....so what if your not spoon-fed options go out and search for urself....so what if the lecturers dont give a damn you go out and make sure they do....Uni is full of oppotunities you just have to search and search and search and apply yourself to get the end result....dont bitch about not bieng at the party your already there make the most of it.

(edited 11 years ago)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 781
Original post by Hooby
You say that you should let people like me decide for ourselves but you're constantly bad mouthing everything and not giving people a chance to see what the uni is really like. What you're saying isn't really helping anybody, so maybe you should take your own advice.

I can't see how pointing out independently produced statistics is " bad mouthing".

The fact that my experience coincides with that is just well a fact.

I put my view out there and let everyone make of it what they will.

I see you have accepted them so I don't see your problem, unless you now have serious doubts, in which case if I were you, I would rethink what to do. Perhaps even consider a gap year, during which time you can go to Bham, poke around a bit more - talk to the people who will be teaching the course - see how they react and then go from there.

40-45k is a lot of cash to be blowing.

Then that's just me, you and everybody else must research properly and decide for yourselves.

One other thing that might not be obvious is what they show you on an open day is not always what you get in reality.

It should be obvious that ODs are sales events and should be given the salt treatment at least to 1/3.
Reply 782
Original post by Jeeves_90
I wouldnt worry about him....hes just a another troll...every Uni has one...watch he'll be bitching about his first job and anything else in the universe that he can possibly bitch about lol.....
In actual fact Its hard not feel sorry for Txi....Regardless of what University you go too whether it be Birmingham uni, Bristol, LSE or even DMU you should make the absolute possible best of the time and opportunities available....so what if your not spoon-fed options go out and search for urself....so what if the lecturers dont give a damn you go out and make sure they do....Uni is full of oppotunities you just have to search and search and search and apply yourself to get the end result....dont bitch about not bieng at the party your already there make the most of it.

Oh yeah right.

So everyone who doesn't agree with Bham Uni is a ' troll '.

Well that case you'd better get used to " trolling ', cause 10's of thousands share the same view.

Yes, go ahead and ask for the back up and I shall copy and paste the NSS link what is already very obvious and evident on the thread.

Who's the real troller now ?
Reply 783
Original post by uob
That's a fair sample size, although I doubt all students would have filled it out - why don't you stop trying to par the university by making immature comments about statistics, when I simply asked a genuine question about the size.
Obviously, I'm sure you agree, surveys aren't the best account overall.

I'm continually confused about your attitude to other people however. I'm not "some Bham representee trying to save face for them". I'm an actual student who has an opinion, and tries to put that across in an unbiased way to help potential students - this is not marketing.

It's obviously impossible for anyone to be entirely unbiased, so I'll point out the things that influence my responses. You seem adamant that your opinion represents some larger consensus among students, which I feel is untrue, hence my responses to the contrary.

All the students fill it out ? Are you serious ?

You should know that is an impossible task.

But the sample being in the millions is MORE than a enough to be taken seriously, you should know that - QM for economists or business in your case.

Well, I think let the people decide about the survey, I don't want to dictate and neither should anyone else.

Your last point actually agree with me. Your opinion is an opinion like mine, let 'em digest and make of it what they will.

My view is part of the NSS that is for sure, I took the survey, again if that is a larger consensus or not - let them decide.

1 thing for sure though the NSS is pretty huge.
Reply 784
Original post by Txi
All the students fill it out ? Are you serious ?

You should know that is an impossible task.

But the sample being in the millions is MORE than a enough to be taken seriously, you should know that - QM for economists or business in your case.

When calculating how many people you say have completed it, you use the figure of 3000 final years for each university. I reckon that accounts for a fairly large proportion of students that Birmingham has graduating each year, so it seemed you were implying that pretty much all of them had filled it out. As well as that, a lot of universities have much less students.
Reply 785
Original post by uob
When calculating how many people you say have completed it, you use the figure of 3000 final years for each university. I reckon that accounts for a fairly large proportion of students that Birmingham has graduating each year, so it seemed you were implying that pretty much all of them had filled it out. As well as that, a lot of universities have much less students.

Not really in fact the final year numbers for Bham should be over 2x that, 25k/3 = 8.33 thousand final year students per year.

but OK,if it puts you at ease, then take 1/2 of 3000 students a year, would still put the overall survey sample in the millions, more than credible.

Some places have less, some have even more !
Reply 786
Original post by Txi
Not really in fact the final year numbers for Bham should be over 2x that, 25k/3 = 8.33 thousand final year students per year.

but OK,if it puts you at ease, then take 1/2 of 3000 students a year, would still put the overall survey sample in the millions, more than credible.

Some places have less, some have even more !

On the whole, they have less. Students doing postgraduate or part-time courses are going to distort that final year number too, but it doesn't matter.
Reply 787
Original post by uob
On the whole, they have less. Students doing postgraduate or part-time courses are going to distort that final year number too, but it doesn't matter.

Pretty sure PT students are not part of the survey .

But if it makes you feel more comfortable ok I guess
Reply 788
Original post by arty
Hey! I'm thinking of applying to this course for 2013 - just wondered if you don't mind my asking what your predicted grades are?

I'm predicted AAB :smile: A in spanish, but my friend applied with a predicted B (she also achieved a B) and she got in no problem last year :smile:
Original post by jak67m
hey when did you get it!? and what are ur AS and A2 grades?

hiya
really sorry for the really late reply! I got 2As and 2BS last year, and predicted 2 A stars and an A and ive got an A in the EPQ, but i think i might get one star and two a's, how about you? :smile:
Reply 790
What do you people think of me going to Birmingham Uni - conditional of AAB... if I get ABB can I get in still??? (Its my first choice) *subject = law llb* :yy:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-N7000
Heya has anyone applied to do Geography and Geology joint honours?? :smile:
Reply 792
firmed Birmingham for Psychology :smile:
Firmed economics and chose mason hall for accommodation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 794
Original post by Mmm chocolates
I accepted Birmingham as my firm for Social policy just wondering is anyone else doing a social policy degree at Birmingham

I firmed it too :smile:
guys please help to choose between Atiken , Opal One and Victoria Hall.. My preferences are:
1.) Distance
2.) Social Life
3.) Ensuite
4.) Cost
5.) Students of same university ( i am not sure is it a matter to worry)
6.) Post graduate Student community( i am not sure is it a matter to worry)

I am joining psychology dept for Mres course
and also let me tell pros/cons currently i feel for victoria, opal, atiken ..

Victoria Hall:
Pros:
Very Near
Accommodation in ensuite and quite good

Cons:
From this year its only for Under grads allotted by university but i could book privately but don know how many post grads would be there.. i don wanna be odd man out :eek:

Opal One:
Pros:
Ensuite and nice accommodation
Fees also pretty good
On site gym/pool
Students from aston and city uni too (not sure this pros or cons :confused:)

Cons:
Its in between city centre and university ..so neither uni life nor city life .. and need travel for both..
Since mixed with other uni students not sure how well it goes..

Atiken:

Pros:
Its in vale and hence more events
Green environment
Atiken B and Atiken C reserverd for only Post grads (but i also feel would i miss undergrads :tongue:)

Cons:
Accommodation is not so good and no ensuite(any better insight on atiken welcome :smile: )
Distance is quite far compared to victoria hall
If want to use gym/sports facilities then no near by ones

Please help me guys...

And please tell me in general - what difference it makes(pros/cons) living with undergrads and post grads.. i feel its more to fun to be with undergrads :tongue:

And please tell me in general - what difference it makes (pros/cons)living with students of other unis?
Reply 796
Original post by pearls
Anybody applied for sociology?

Me! I haven't seen anyone else who has applied yet. :biggrin:
hey iv applied for law..got an unconditional offer. anyone taking law?
also whats the facebook page for this year
Original post by 05kubann
firmed Birmingham for Psychology :smile:

me too :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending