The Student Room Group

University offers

Just out of curiosity, have people started getting offers from universities yet? Are there any universities that don't look at your application till everybody has applied?
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kookiemonster97#
Just out of curiosity, have people started getting offers from universities yet? Are there any universities that don't look at your application till everybody has applied?

Yes to both questions. I know people who have received offers from Leeds and York. Some of the more oversubscribed courses / universities will operate a "gathered field" approach, meaning that they will wait until all "equal consideration" applications have arrived (18:00 UTC on 31st January) before making any offers.
As above, yes to both.
There’s a major change to the way universities can send data and decisions to and from UCAS this year. That means more universities than usual might take until November or December before they can start making offers.
Reply 4

Yep, I know of people that have already received offers from Leeds, Sheffield and Birmingham for both Econ and English. They are Oxbridge applicants though so grades way higher than requirements, hence why those unis were able to give them early offers despite the equal consideration requirement. Essentially the unis knew that they would give them offers irrespective of who else applies by end of Jan.
Original post by PQ
There’s a major change to the way universities can send data and decisions to and from UCAS this year. That means more universities than usual might take until November or December before they can start making offers.

What is this "major change"? Why would it impact some unis and not others?

Is this the ODBC vs. XML thing?
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia

UCAS has changed some data formats this year and this has impacted some Unis that use specific data platforms - ie. its a techie glitch that is now being quickly resolved.

So, no need to worry, and all Unis will be cracking on with new applications very soon.
Original post by DataVenia

Is this the ODBC vs. XML thing?

It’s the enforced move to xml-link yes. New data and new mappings (and new fields where data is copied too meaning systems need updating to make data visible on paperless systems). Some systems are more impacted than others and some universities have more IT staff available to make the transition earlier.

Combined with the changes to the HESA returns (and the fact that xml-link is set to over-write HESA fields if current/previous students reapply) there’s quite a few universities delaying switching over to a new cycle until they are 100% sure HESA is done and xml is working right.
(edited 6 months ago)
I know people who've got offers for English at York and Geography at Manchester
Original post by McGinger
UCAS has changed some data formats this year and this has impacted some Unis that use specific data platforms - ie. its a techie glitch that is now being quickly resolved.

So, no need to worry, and all Unis will be cracking on with new applications very soon.

Understood. I wasn't worried. I was just curious. :smile:
Original post by PQ
It’s the enforced move to xml-link yes. New data and new mappings (and new fields where data is copied too meaning systems need updating to make data visible on paperless systems). Some systems are more impacted than others and some universities have more IT staff available to make the transition earlier.

Combined with the changes to the HESA returns (and the fact that xml-link is set to over-write HESA fields if current/previous students reapply) there’s quite a few universities delaying switching over to a new cycle until they are 100% sure HESA is done and xml is working right.

Thanks for the explanation. Very interesting.
Reply 11

I know of people getting bristol, birmingham, cardiff and sheffeild offers at my school. but they are all oxbridge students so had early application
Reply 12
Original post by Imogen285
I know of people getting bristol, birmingham, cardiff and sheffeild offers at my school. but they are all oxbridge students so had early application

Anyone heard of any Warwick offers yet?
Reply 13
I havent heard of many at all. Ive had none but my application went off on the 9th

Hi @kookiemonster97#

Some unis give out offers fairly quickly after receiving your application I remember I got Leeds and Loughborough through in October / November time. Some however wait until they've received all applications before giving out their offers and can take until May to make a decision. I think i received my last offer from Bath around March / April so it can really vary!

Hope this helped :smile:

Jess
Reply 15
Original post by Loughborough Student Community
Hi @kookiemonster97#

Some unis give out offers fairly quickly after receiving your application I remember I got Leeds and Loughborough through in October / November time. Some however wait until they've received all applications before giving out their offers and can take until May to make a decision. I think i received my last offer from Bath around March / April so it can really vary!

Hope this helped :smile:

Jess

It is painful to make people wait until April and beyond. Students need to concentrate on their A levels at that stage of the year and not worry about what offers they might get. Would be nice if UCAS could set an earlier deadline for unis to make offers and students to accept them, to avoid the elongated cat and mouse game where some unis only make offers once other applicants have declined or accepted places.
There is the equal consideration deadline in January. Anybody who applies before then is treated equally. It is your choice to apply early but you cannot expect universities to give you preferential treatment.
Reply 17
Original post by lalexm
Anyone heard of any Warwick offers yet?

not from my school sorry I know quite a few applied there though
Reply 18
Yes offers from Birmingham, Bristol, York, Manchester, Sheffield, RH so far at our school - maybe more; including for courses we all thought would be slower like CS and law
Reply 19
Original post by swanseajack1
There is the equal consideration deadline in January. Anybody who applies before then is treated equally. It is your choice to apply early but you cannot expect universities to give you preferential treatment.

Getting offers before the equal consideration deadline is not preferential treatment. They are just giving offers to those that they know they will always give offers to, irrespective of who else applies by the deadline. It’s quite common.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending